Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 09:49   #46

Boat: Kingfisher K20
Re: Advice on what to do with my empty engine bay.

I'm thinking=..line it with 2 to 3 inches of foam insulation....make a lid...and fill it with beer and ice..;-)
SVrider44224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 10:07   #47

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I hate to be a wet blanket but whatever you spend on this project will probably have no impact on the resale price. given that I would limit my effort to things I can do my self with minimal spending on supplies. if degreasers don't seem to be doing much, renting a steam cleaner sounds like a promising idea but first I would try soaking with degreaser over night.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 10:24   #48

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"

If you are just going to sail in fir weather in fairly protected waters, strapping on an engine to the transom is fine. If you;re going further afield, I would consider creating a well like the older Bristols that allow the engine to be tipped up when sailing. It gets the weight a little more inboard and protects the engine much better especially if you build a "gasket" around it.

RE: smells etc. I would tear out everything associated with the old inboard and close off the shaft hole w/ FG and epoxy-pretty straightforward. You can probably sell some of the stuff like muffler, shaft etc. Amazing amount of space. As others have said, the market for your boat and many others is soft, and will remain so-I believe, so invest what you need for adequate service and save the rest. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
A little background, then a couple questions:

I got this boat for 2500 and have since put an outboard motor on. I also bolted the prop shaft in place to keep it from freewheeling.
My original thought was to leave all the wiring, exhaust, ect. in place so that I can advertise as "ready for re-power" when I go to sell.
My new method of thinking is that no one is going to be interested in putting an inboard back into this boat ever again and it would be more appealing on the resale market if I cleaned out, sealed off and re-purposed that area.

1) What is your opinion on the above? I would really like to clean that area, remove all the wiring, the exhaust, close the holes in the transom up so water can't get in, seal the shaft hole off, seacocks, ect...

2) This is my first boat with an engine and there is a foul smell inside the cabin. At first I thought it was the head. I cleaned that out, not the problem...so then I went to the bilge, cleaned that, not the problem.
I am currently thinking the spell is coming from very old diesel inside all the lines that remain, gas tank, diesel soot from what appears to have been an exhaust leak, grease and other gunk built up in the engine compartment.
I want to clean all this out nice and squeaky clean, hopefully getting rid of, or reducing the smell in the process.
Any advice on tackling this job? What's the best way to siphon out the sludge that is likely built up in the tank? How about sealing the hose coming from the tank so no more fumes get in?
What type of cleaner should I use to get rid of the gunk, grease and soot?
Do they make some type of deodorizer to apply to the fiberglass in this area once the gunk is gone?

Thanks!
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 14:46   #49

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

I was wondering if you could hook a generator / alternator to the shaft would there be enough torque to do any charging while underway?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 14:54   #50

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
I was wondering if you could hook a generator / alternator to the shaft would there be enough torque to do any charging while underway?
I actually looked into that and even made a thread on here about it back when I first bought the boat.
The answer is yes, it is possible... but it's not very efficient, or reliable and is overly complicated.
One issue is you would likely have to be sailing at over 5Kts for most generators to even begin generating power at all...otherwise it would actually be sucking power out of the battery unless you install some type of system to disconnect it from the battery until it reaches a certain speed.

In the end, it was decided that if I really wanted the extra power, I would get a lot more energy production for my buck and time by just adding more solar with that same money.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
I hate to be a wet blanket but whatever you spend on this project will probably have no impact on the resale price.
I am not looking to increase the value. I was just trying not to DECREASE it, or worse, make it less desirable.
This project shouldn't cost much. I planned on hauling it out anyways sometime early next year, so I can do my own work to seal it off using epoxy I already have at that point.
I've actually tried hiring a diver to pull the prop a while back, but he says it is on there pretty good and recommends I do it on haul out.
In case anyone is curious, here's what I did to lock the drive shaft in place:

I already own the pressure washer and cleaning supplies, so that's all free.
The only real expense should be the haul out, which I am not really counting, because I was going to do that anyways.

What about sealing the holes off where the seacocks leading to the engine are? I'm pretty sure that area of glass is relatively thin when compared to the drive shaft. Is it more practical just to plug it off? What do I use? just a bronze threaded cap?
Old 30-09-2015, 04:37   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
I am not looking to increase the value. I was just trying not to DECREASE it, or worse, make it less desirable.
This project shouldn't cost much. I planned on hauling it out anyways sometime early next year, so I can do my own work to seal it off using epoxy I already have at that point.
I've actually tried hiring a diver to pull the prop a while back, but he says it is on there pretty good and recommends I do it on haul out.

The only real expense should be the haul out, which I am not really counting, because I was going to do that anyways.

What about sealing the holes off where the seacocks leading to the engine are? I'm pretty sure that area of glass is relatively thin when compared to the drive shaft. Is it more practical just to plug it off? What do I use? just a bronze threaded cap?
That is the absolute most anti-monkey love dungeon space ever... Nothing wrong with your shaft lock ...

If you do replace your sea cocks with plugs, it's going to make things harder should you in the heat of the moment one day decide to scuttle... Of course in the long run it's probably wiser to have a system that takes a bit of effort...

(I've noticed that my most recent posting style is completely devoid of any positive team effort or helpful contributions)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 06:30   #53

Boat: Sceptre 41

Having just cleaned the engine bay in my BMW project car I can highly recommend Purple Power over simple Green. Tried them both. What worked really well for me was to take a strong sspray bottle and soak the area. Let it sit for an hour, then use a scrat per. This saved me a lot of papaer towels. From there I hit it with a spray bottle filled with water. I assume a hose would be better. Finally I used the PPower again and hit it with a brush and squirted it with water. Worked great.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 06:44   #54

Boat: Bristol 27

After pulling the engine on my 40 year old Bristol and all associated equipment, I removed all the built up slug in the bilge. Then sprayed the whole area (bilge and engine compartment) with Dawn Dishwashing Detergent and scrubbed it.

Then rinsed with the water hose.

I repeated this from time to time without the scrubbing and left the bilge and engine area open to dry. The bilge pump removed most of the water and I used my Wet/Dry Vac to get what was left.

This was all that was needed.

It's been this way now since 2011.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 06:55   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
(I've noticed that my most recent posting style is completely devoid of any positive team effort or helpful contributions)
Perhaps it's the Mai Tai's?

If nothing else it improve's morale, so keep it coming

I have secured a 2600 psi motorized power washer from a friend, so instead of experimenting with cleaners, I'm just going to hit it with that from the get-go, because..."why not?" lol...There's something about taking a pressure washer to the inside of that dungeon that seems like it will be strangely satisfying

I will try and get some video on the gopro.

Once I break up the hard stuff with the power washer, I have a gallon of concentrated citrus degreaser that I picked up at home depot. I will use it to get rid of anything that may be left over.
Old 30-09-2015, 08:54   #56

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Capping them off with bronze caps is fine. I removed my head and capped mine off for removal at some later haulout.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 10:40   #57

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Capping them off with bronze caps is fine. I removed my head and capped mine off for removal at some later haulout.
Oops, forgot an important thing, sometimes if thru-hulls get capped off they may be covered and/or forgotten. Be sure nothing heavy like a battery is free to fall against the capped thru-hull and break it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:33   #58

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oops, forgot an important thing, sometimes if thru-hulls get capped off they may be covered and/or forgotten. Be sure nothing heavy like a battery is free to fall against the capped thru-hull and break it!
Boy that could make for a rude awaking.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 12:06   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
A little background, then a couple questions:

I got this boat for 2500 and have since put an outboard motor on. I also bolted the prop shaft in place to keep it from freewheeling.
My original thought was to leave all the wiring, exhaust, ect. in place so that I can advertise as "ready for re-power" when I go to sell.
My new method of thinking is that no one is going to be interested in putting an inboard back into this boat ever again and it would be more appealing on the resale market if I cleaned out, sealed off and re-purposed that area.

1) What is your opinion on the above? I would really like to clean that area, remove all the wiring, the exhaust, close the holes in the transom up so water can't get in, seal the shaft hole off, seacocks, ect...

2) This is my first boat with an engine and there is a foul smell inside the cabin. At first I thought it was the head. I cleaned that out, not the problem...so then I went to the bilge, cleaned that, not the problem.
I am currently thinking the spell is coming from very old diesel inside all the lines that remain, gas tank, diesel soot from what appears to have been an exhaust leak, grease and other gunk built up in the engine compartment.
I want to clean all this out nice and squeaky clean, hopefully getting rid of, or reducing the smell in the process.
Any advice on tackling this job? What's the best way to siphon out the sludge that is likely built up in the tank? How about sealing the hose coming from the tank so no more fumes get in?
What type of cleaner should I use to get rid of the gunk, grease and soot?
Do they make some type of deodorizer to apply to the fiberglass in this area once the gunk is gone?

Thanks!
A friend of mine had a 30ft boat without an inboard. He cleaned it up, painted it and turned it into a really cool double bunk.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 13:31   #60

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
A friend of mine had a 30ft boat without an inboard. He cleaned it up, painted it and turned it into a really cool double bunk.
Probably ok in the frozen north, but here in the tropics it would be a sauna.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine