Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44   #1

Advice on trailerable boat ramp launchable cruiser please...

Hello all!

Now that life settled down a bit I am looking to buy another sailboat. My last boat was a Cascade 29. I loved it but it even though I had a trailer for it I couldn't lanch it from a ramp. I'd like to tow to Alaska and sail back to the PNW and maybe a few trips to the Keys. Normally I'd be sailing the Columbia River and various lakes in Oregon in summer months and moving the boat to my shop or the Oregon Coast in the winter months. I hope there will be occasional 2-3 weeks trips to the San Juans here and there.

I am leaning toward the Nor'sea 27 as my first choice but I'd like some opinions on other boats that can be launched from a ramp. I do have a requirement that may limit my options. I am 6'1" tall and need to be able to stand in the galley. My Cascade barely allowed me to do this while standing under the hatch in the companion way. It was hell on my back/neck.

So far I have realized the Seaward 32 is a bit out of my price range (my limit is 50-60K for boat and trailer). My tow rig is a 3/4 cummins diesel. It will be myself, wife, very small dog and 2 kids aboard. Yes it sounds packed but we did it on the Cascade and never minded the tight quarters. The kids are getting older and soon it will be just my wife and I.

I know there is a lot of knowledge and experience on this site and can't wait to hear your suggestions! Thank you in advance...
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:01   #2

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Advice on trailerable boat ramp launchable cruiser please...

I had a Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 for years. Had a custom trailer made for it, and towed with a RAM 2500 diesel. Came close to buying a Northsea 27, but ended up preferring the Dana.
My trailer had a special wheel mounted on the tongue. Could back in with a heavy rope between trailer and truck Was a difficult process, but did work.
Know that either of these boats are not trailer sailors. Count on spending an entire day getting boat into the water and rigged to sail. Not something for a day sail on local lake - need to be thinking of a couple of weeks minimum. I never put boat into the water for less than 8 weeks at a time.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:13   #3

Thanks. I love the Dana 24 (Flicka too!). Just a little too small for me and crew. I think there is a great video camera kite video somewhere of a beautiful Dana 24.

I have wanted a Nor'sea since I was a kid. I was at a boatshow with my dad and fell in love with the idea of small circumnavigable boats.

Edit: There is a European trailerable motor sailor that caught my eye awhile back. Has a pilothouse and a neat look but I am certain it doesn't sail like a Nor'sea (I haven't sailed on a Nor'sea yet just going on what I've read).
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:47   #4

Dear Docrn,
I do not own my own boat, but am looking for one. Came across this new site:
Tattoo Yachts
The tattoo26 is similar in design to the MacGregor 26M.
The company is owned by the son and daughter.
hope you find what you like.
cheers
Psyiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:29   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

And I think the MacGregor 26 is trailerable/launchable... not sure about headroom...

One outran us (under power) once, while we were in our previous trawler...

-Chris
Old 27-02-2014, 02:59   #6

Boat: Vancouver 25 Oday 25
AHOY
RECENTLY CLOSED BOAT DEAL (Vancouver 25)
Leaving lot. Seller hollers. OH YA. something else WATCH OUT FOR OVERHEAD CLEARANCE AT THE GAS PUMPS
Good info. Clearance is 13ft 6. Not meaning to minimize the towing difficulties (trip went fine Ore. To auburn CA) that's another matter , I got the Vancouver 25 at a good price partially due to the PO's possible misconception of a trailerable boat, couple trips to San Juan's and nicely raked back bow pulpit (PO HAD damaged at the fuel pumps) was thru with the Vancouver. It is an ocean boat. Like Dana , nor sea, all 3 of these boats have stand ing head rm, big boat amenities, and gear. WHICH ALSO MAKES THEM SEEM TO HAVE LESS ROOM THAN A TRUE TRAILR SAILR. I HAVE AN ODAY 25. Also. We call it the little boat and the van the big boat. Identical length Oday has 6 ft head clearance. Bigger cockpit. Bigger cabin. Decent berths for 5 (if u really WANTA have fun) it lacks a good galley , uses porta potty.
SAILS GREAT TRAILERS GOOD. RECOMMENDED TRAILER BOATS ARE
ODAY
CATALINA
SEWARD
FLICKA.
Rhodes
Any way my point is doesn't everybody need 2 wholes in the water.
I'm keeping both. A trailerable (ODAY 25) and a seasonally trailerable Vancouver 25. The Vancouver s bigger tanks it's
Diesel mtr small cock pit (seems kinda smaller) is getting restored, another story, but this site is great and also a hindrance to my progress on the restoration. NOW MY WORK HAS TOO PASS C. F. Opinion .before my slight ignorance was bliss,now u mean I gotta use marine wire HUH. LOL
VANCOUVERS TAKING ME FROM SAN FRANSISCO TO NEW YORK CITY. HAA. APARENTLY AS I LEARN THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN OCEAN ( IE NOT TRAILERABLE.) AND COASTAL RELATIVELY PROTECTED WATER BOATS is JEEZ MONEY!! %
Dallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 03:02   #7

Boat: Vancouver 25 Oday 25
AHOY
RECENTLY CLOSED BOAT DEAL (Vancouver 25)
Leaving lot. Seller hollers. OH YA. something else WATCH OUT FOR OVERHEAD CLEARANCE AT THE GAS PUMPS
Good info. Clearance is 13ft 6. Not meaning to minimize the towing difficulties (trip went fine Ore. To auburn CA) that's another matter , I got the Vancouver 25 at a good price partially due to the PO's possible misconception of a trailerable boat, couple trips to San Juan's and nicely raked back bow pulpit (PO HAD damaged at the fuel pumps) was thru with the Vancouver. It is an ocean boat. Like Dana , nor sea, all 3 of these boats have stand ing head rm, big boat amenities, and gear. WHICH ALSO MAKES THEM SEEM TO HAVE LESS ROOM THAN A TRUE TRAILR SAILR. I HAVE AN ODAY 25. Also. We call it the little boat and the van the big boat. Identical length Oday has 6 ft head clearance. Bigger cockpit. Bigger cabin. Decent berths for 5 (if u really WANTA have fun) it lacks a good galley , uses porta potty.
SAILS GREAT TRAILERS GOOD. RECOMMENDED TRAILER BOATS ARE
ODAY
CATALINA
SEWARD
FLICKA.
Rhodes
Any way my point is doesn't everybody need 2 wholes in the water.
I'm keeping both. A trailerable (ODAY 25) and a seasonally trailerable Vancouver 25. The Vancouver s bigger tanks it's
Diesel mtr small cock pit (seems kinda smaller) is getting restored, another story, but this site is great and also a hindrance to my progress on the restoration. NOW MY WORK HAS TOO PASS C. F. Opinion .before my slight ignorance was bliss,now u mean I gotta use marine wire HUH. LOL
VANCOUVERS TAKING ME FROM SAN FRANSISCO TO NEW YORK CITY. HAA. APARENTLY AS I LEARN THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN OCEAN ( IE NOT TRAILERABLE.) AND COASTAL RELATIVELY PROTECTED WATER BOATS is JEEZ MONEY!!
My list has new diesel. Electronics ETC oh well the boats is 29 yrs old. Lucky it not 40 ft all I can say ODAYS like camping and needs nothing. Or very little but it's not going over too many 8 ft waves. About 3 and it would probably break something or sink
It's storming in auburn tonight and dam if I can't wait for my first adrenaline filled stormy night at sea, Haa
Dallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, ramp