Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 15:46   #1

Advice on re-powering a Pretorien

Hi - my first post. I am interested in buying a Wauquiez Pretorien. I have read great things about the boat and believe it will fit my sailing plans for the foreseeable future.

Some of the boats I am interested in still have the original Volvo MD-11 and 110S saildrive (if I'm not mistaken). It is my understanding that there are no parts available for the saildrive unit and once it gives up the ghost I will need to re-power most likely with a Volvo D1-30 and 130S saildrive.

Any Wauquiez owners on here that have gone down this route? I got a quote for a new engine and tranny of $10,500. I have no idea what it costs to remove and replace the engine and would appreciate any info/advice others may have.

Thanks,

Nick
pequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 16:40   #2

Re: Advice on re-powering a Pretorien

I used to see one on upper chesapeake and they had a 10 hp outboard. It looked odd but I guess it did the trick.... it was a heavy duty racer and he would lift the motor during sailing and have no prop drag at all....
Schrewsburyduo is offline   Reply With Quote