Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 09:21   #181
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423
Re: Advice on Circumnavigation Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
It seemed out of your size and price range. Very fast, very complicated boat with water ballast and all.

That is probably going to be a challenge given your other requirements. Just look at the PHRF database. In your size and price range, for a comfortable cruiser with (most) of the features you want, with that performance, it's a a pretty select list.
I see one here within my price range... Hunter HC50 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com The other one could probably be negotiated down.

Plus, it's the idea, to narrow down the list. And to weed out all the slow and boring tanks that people that haven't left their marina keep insisting upon.
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:28   #182
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on Circumnavigation Vessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloSF View Post
I see one here within my price range... Hunter HC50 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com The other one could probably be negotiated down.

Plus, it's the idea, to narrow down the list. And to weed out all the slow and boring tanks that people that haven't left their marina keep insisting upon.
ROFLMAO..... yeah... right

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48   #183
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
ROFLMAO..... yeah... right
Apparently I'm missing out on something.
YoloSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 14:40   #184

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Big boats from Oyster and Swan I've been on were beautifully laid out!
(...)
Both makes have very long production, and I can only guess we sailed completely different designs!

To me, old Oysters (pre-posh age) are OK - strong and sound and sensibly laid out. Then there was that period when Oyster grew rapidly and ... well, well, ... possibly the most cluttered sidedecks, the darkest galleys and the deck salons with no all round visibility (unless you stand 7' tall). Then came the post (2002?) era when they split the cockpits - twin wheels, center catwalk, etc. so MUCH better than so many earlier boats. BUT I know of issues that would make me never buy one, even if I could afford one.

Now, Swans. I love their old S&S models much as they are not the best sailing boats in the world (they may be the prettiest though). I like their clean decks, the simple hardware, the small cockpit. Newer, bigger Swans are nearly always boats laid out for large crews. Yes, the separate cockpits are cool - but did you notice that some of them lack a separate crew companionway? No fun going to that cockpit in rough weather.

I think my cheap criticism applies equally to many companies that went into building bigger&bigger boats somewhere in the 80'ies - the good news is some of them survived long enough to build more boats and avoid some of the horrible solutions offered in their big boom era.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 18:17   #185

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Go for it.

Quote:
Says the guy who sails dinghys LMAO. You're a hoot.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:18   #186

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Suljin -- the best posting yet - we suggested way back that cruising skills are more important than the boat -- but as a dingy sailor i guess he knows all about that -- watching the postings i figured he was more of a lookie than serious --
we have met many a sailor who can out sail us any day as we are not very good sailors -- and with better boats and much more equipped than we are - but for some reason they just can not leave the dock because the boat is just not right yet -
the real reason is they either don't want the hardship that goes with cruising or the other half got introduced to cruising and decided that one or two weeks were enough
it is not the boat or the equipment - alibet they are very very important - the real issue is being able to leave -- but he does not want to hear about it out here

just my thought and opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
a jeanneau ds40 that sailed the entire caribbean, across the atlantic, part of the med and now in tunisia for the winter
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 13:50   #187

There is Delphia 40.2 2009 for sale in BVI on Yacht World, $175,000 and many newer gear.
2009 Delphia 40.3 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The sister ship circumnavigate the globe single handed in roaring forties .
Around The World Delphia Project

Andrew
Skipper434343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle