Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 07:03   #46

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: advice on a project boat purchase...

Just get out there and go sailing - you only learn it by doing it. Sailing is very basic and easy to learn. Taking care of a boat is another thing - you will learn how to do that too - unless you are rich and can afford to hire all the work done. The rich tend to let the not so rich take care of their boats for them or just run them into the ground and get rid of them. 90% of sailing is working on the boat and keeping it in shape. It is an unending labor of love to maintain a boat if you are not rich. Sooooo- you better love it! (unless you are rich - then all you have to love is the idea of it)
Every boat I have ever owned was a project - 8 so far -some more of a project than others. Each has it's own characteristic, flaws, good points &bad points. After a while you get settled on what you think is THE BOAT and then you find one that you think is the PERFECT boat and you cant afford it or it's not for sale.
The old saying that "A boat is a hole in the water you poor money into." Is absolutely correct but so what? If it's what you love, it doesnt matter.
I remember my 1st boat -"FOLLIE" an old time 26'er built in 1926. The engine was froze up, it leaked like a sieve, had toredo worms chowing down on the keel, The varnish falling off in large flakes, old rusted rigging - on and on.
My Dad came to visit and see the new family "yacht" and he didnt say much - just smiled at me with a twinkle in his eye and wanted to go for a ride - a week later I had the engine going - smoke billowing out the exhaust - but we went for a ride around the harbor and thought we were BIG SHOT CHARLIE!
The boat started leaking so bad I had to haul her out to see what was wrong.
To make a long story short, I hauled it home on a trailer and spent the next year rebuilding the hull! I didnt know anymore about being a carpenter than "Two nails to a stud and friday's pay day" But I learned!
So, 40 years later, I'm a wood boat guy - because I know how to do the work and I love it. I have built steel and aluminum and have worked on glass as well but I absolutely HATE glass!
You will figure it out sooner or later - the main thing is to find out what you like so you dont make too many screw ups. Getting you Dad involved is a great idea - you'll never regret it.
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 10:35   #47

Re: advice on a project boat purchase...

Allio, Very well put! Nice recap. In the end every boat is a project, just get as little a project as you can and go for it!.... Oh... and do those local overnighters... you'll learn alot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:45   #48
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Allio, Very well put! Nice recap. In the end every boat is a project, just get as little a project as you can and go for it!.... Oh... and do those local overnighters... you'll learn alot.
Just got back from our first overnighter on the new boat. I can't reinforce Cheechako's advice enough. I did just what I thought was the absolute bare minimum of work to get her out. We used bottled water due to plumbing issues, and used a camp stove and BBQ, or ate cold. We skipped flushing the head except for serious business. It was the best trip we had.

I had lots of ideas of changes I wanted to make when budget allowed. However, after having used the boat on the hook, the number of planned projects dropped by about 2/3rds. By getting out and "making due" with how she's set up, I can see the reasoning behind a lot of the choices now, and most of them I like. More importantly the Admiral likes.

We came back completely enamored with the boat, even in her "needs work" state. Every boat is a project, but sometimes it's nice to have a reminder of why you're doing the work. Get something that you can use now, even while under refit.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 17:49   #49

Check out our friend Cap'n Fatty Goodlander's new book on how to do it on the cheap ... but safe. http://fattygoodlander.com/ He's been around the globe twice and soon he'll go again.
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase