Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 04:11   #91

Re: Advantages of a taller rig/30% larger sail area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
20 tonnes is 44 000 pounds, light ship. D/L of 188 -- reasonably light for a cruising boat. You don't snub boats of this size onto piers by hand -- beyond a certain size manhandling ceases to be part of any harbour maneuver process. And it's not an issue at all; you just do it differently. I single hand a LOT including tricky berthing maneuvers; it's no big deal. I generally don't jump onto the dock, although I'm plenty fit enough -- I've developed reasonable skills for lassoing cleats. Berthing is no problem at all -- I would say berthing is easier than with a small boat because the larger boat is much less subject to being blown around by gusts and flukes in the wind. Downside is the distance I need to get from the helm, to the side deck (with 16' of beam), when berthing single handed. But again -- you learn, by necessity, to bring the boat to a complete stop using helm and throttle, in just the right place, so that you can stroll over to the side deck and lasso that cleat. Eventually you can do it even when it's windy.

Sail handling is easy with all sails on furlers. Electric winches are nice but not essential -- with roller furling main you don't need to haul the sail all the way up the mast by the halyard -- the most labor intensive bit (at least one electric winch WOULD be essential with a conventional main). It is much easier to move around on deck on a boat of this size in a lively seaway, than on a smaller boat. The motion is better too.

I've put in sea time on boats of all sizes from 16' to 90' and I can say from pretty extensive experience that the bigger ones are easier, safer and less stressful to sail, especially over long distances and in bad weather. My next boat will be a bit bigger than this one.

I've never observed anything like that. On the contrary, where I sail, bigger boats go out more often and are kept longer -- perhaps because a bigger boat is a bigger commitment and hardly anyone buys one and lets it rot in the slip?

Yes, what you THINK you can handle. And I'm 100% sure you underestimate yourself. You would not have the slightest trouble whatsoever handling my boat. My father recently sold his 37 footer, which we had cruised for decades in Florida and the Caribbean. He and I both agreed that it was more work and harder, to sail that boat, than mine.

I'm sure there are different conditions where you could walk all over me -- light wind and upwind for sure, and I have no doubt that with all your racing experience, your skill is vastly better than mine. But I would bet you pink slips that you couldn't get within a day of me sailing the couple thousand miles from Cowes around the top of Iceland and back, nonstop and double handed, or better yet, single handed. Horses for courses. Over long windy distance with inevitable gales -- you want waterline length, strength, low windage, and a not oversized rig.

I think you're talking about a RACING Code 0, not a cruising one -- they are different sails.

You may be right in any case about "mom and pop", however. In any case, I don't have one of those and probably won't have one. Since I don't race, I don't mind sailing slowly in light wind, and if I need more speed, I don't mind motorsailing. So I'm reasonably satisfied with what I have, for my purposes.

In light winds , boat speed creates apparent wind , apparent wind creates comfort

The boat and sailplan become stable in a seaway
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail