Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 12:14   #1

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini
Adding outboard to Cal 29

Well my recently purchased Cal 29 appears to have a bad engine. The original atomic 4 was replaced with a used diesel some time back that was not cared for. So, I am looking at putting an adjustable bracket on the back and using a 15hp 2 stroke, just for motoring. This is going to be a live aboard sailboat, so no open seas sailing. Mostly intracoastal moving and maybe a trip from palm beach area to the keys. I have seen some mention of mounting an outboard to a Cal 29, but couldn't find any pics or further information. Should I mount center or off to the port side? How far should the prop be in the water? I plan to steer with the sailboats tiller. While I know replacing the inboard would be the BEST thing to do, this boat will mostly be anchored with maybe a trip to the keys and around the keys. Funds are a little tight for a new inboard. Thanks for any help you can provide.
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 12:34   #2

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
An electric swap would be easy, with the amount of motoring you're talking about. No, new motor mounts, fuel line plumbing, charging system wiring. Batteries already aboard will get you out of the slip. No change to tiller operations. Speed fore and aft are the same, no transmission to fail. Simple, toggle controls. More room below less noise. No more, oysters in the fresh water intake, rusted away mixing elbow in the exhaust causing water intrusion in the engine cylinders. No more, hard starting, air leaks in the fuel system, leaking oil in the bilge. Source the motor from used forklifts, or car and motorcycle applications. Don't mention marine applications, unless you wish to pay the marine application tax! Just food for thought.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 15:34   #3
Ita

Boat: CAL 36
Re: Adding outboard to Cal 29

I got a 4 stroke 9.9 Honda on my Cal2-29. It's mounted centered on the transom on a Garelick bracket. The bracket is too short, so the outboard can't be tilted all the way before it hits the transom . The only way around that was to use a short shaft , so the prop is out of the water in the up position.
The downside is the prop cavitation when you get hit by wakes.
My advice: either fix the onboard or mount a bracket big enough to tilt a long shaft outboard

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-04-2015, 15:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningDaylight View Post
Well my recently purchased Cal 29 appears to have a bad engine. The original atomic 4 was replaced with a used diesel some time back that was not cared for. So, I am looking at putting an adjustable bracket on the back and using a 15hp 2 stroke, just for motoring. This is going to be a live aboard sailboat, so no open seas sailing. Mostly intracoastal moving and maybe a trip from palm beach area to the keys. I have seen some mention of mounting an outboard to a Cal 29, but couldn't find any pics or further information. Should I mount center or off to the port side? How far should the prop be in the water? I plan to steer with the sailboats tiller. While I know replacing the inboard would be the BEST thing to do, this boat will mostly be anchored with maybe a trip to the keys and around the keys. Funds are a little tight for a new inboard. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Good for you!

I lived on my cal 2-29 for about 4 years back in my 20's. plenty of room for me and my stuff.

The 2-29 could be bought in the cruising version with a single cyl Ferryman Diesel (like I had) and a wheel, with a gas inboard or with an outboard.

If you get a chance you can buy an outboard geared for thrust rather than speed. You end up with a slower turning prop and a reasonable pitch.

I found the 2-29 to be the best boat I ever had in reverse. Small motions of the rudder and you could steer just about anywhere in reverse.

I had my boat offshore in the PNW heading north along the Washington coast in 18' seas and 45 kt winds. We were surfing at 11 to 12 knots off the big rollers. What a wild ride. In many ways the 29 is just a scaled down version of the Cal 40.

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 16:24   #5

Boat: 33' Hunter Cherubini

Thanks for the replies. So I'm looking at getting a high thrust long shaft outboard, preferebly 4 stroke? I was planning on using one of those garelick adjustable mounts mentioned above. How deep would I want the prop to be below the waterline, so I know where to mount the bracket? Oh, and do you find the 9.9 works well or do you feel a 15 would be better? Thanks!

If I have the adjustable mount, does short shaft or long shaft matter?

Ita: any chance you have a pic of yours? Thanks
BurningDaylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 19:53   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. So I'm looking at getting a high thrust long shaft outboard, preferebly 4 stroke? I was planning on using one of those garelick adjustable mounts mentioned above. How deep would I want the prop to be below the waterline, so I know where to mount the bracket? Oh, and do you find the 9.9 works well or do you feel a 15 would be better? Thanks!

If I have the adjustable mount, does short shaft or long shaft matter?

Ita: any chance you have a pic of yours? Thanks
No chance of repairing your diesel? If not, then a 9.9 would do you if you're looking at a significant price difference. Even a 7.5 would be ok where you are and watching the weather. Sometimes there's a big weight difference in engines from one hp to the next. Lighter is better if you're going to be lifting up on an outboard mount.
Old 23-04-2015, 21:48   #7

Boat: Cal 2-27

A 9.9 will work. In all honesty, so would an 8hp. It all boils down to the weight limitations of the bracket.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 22:40   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you're handy with tools, you can build a bracket which rides/slides on a twin pair of genoa tracks, bolted to the transom. I've seen such setups on 25', & 31' Searunner trimarans. And the construction manual for them is free to download. So it'd probably have some tips & pictures.

Such a mount would give you a lot of range of height adjustment, to even include small to moderate changes in height for sea conditions.

I too would caution you on how much weight you mount back there, as, if memory serves, Cal 29's are prone to dragging (immersing) their transoms. But there are a good number of 15hp (& 9.9hp conversions to 15hp) around which weigh in at under 100lbs, in the short shaft version.
Occasionally you'll run across one with an XXXL shaft length mod', which someone did to one for a multihull. Again, if you really look.

Also, double check the laminate thickness, where you intend to mount the OB, as I don't think that the transoms on Cal 29's are particularly stout.

Aside from that, it's not uncommon to run across older, tiny diesels, or atomic-4's for like $1k-$1.5k, if you keep your eyes peeled. Although, of course, properly installing & mounting such would likely be a good bit more work.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 00:21   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

A small outboard can only be relied for exiting and entering a marina. If that's all you got, consider using oars.

You boat deserves an inboard engine on the order of 30 horsepower.
Old 24-04-2015, 08:05   #10

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

I'd definately go for the long shaft. I used to have a Catalina 22. When I tried using a short saft engine mounted as low to the water as possible with keeping the engine head above water the pitching on San Francisco Bay brought the prop totally out of the water.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:16   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Keep in mind, you will have no tiller steering until headway is made, which can be problematical.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:54   #12

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Keep in mind, you will have no tiller steering until headway is made, which can be problematical.
Thats true of ANY kind of propulsion, including inboards and sail power. Water has to flow over the tiller to make it effective, just like an airplane wing.

The comment about transom strength is very important. I fitted a large and thick backing plate both inside and outside of the transom. I powered a 5000lb 27' sailboat with a 7.5hp 2 stroke.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:47   #13

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Smile Re: Adding outboard to Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Thats true of ANY kind of propulsion, including inboards and sail power. Water has to flow over the tiller to make it effective, just like an airplane wing.

The comment about transom strength is very important. I fitted a large and thick backing plate both inside and outside of the transom. I powered a 5000lb 27' sailboat with a 7.5hp 2 stroke.
Water does not have to flow over the tiller - that'd get the helmsman wet. Water flows by the rudder.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 10:57   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
A small outboard can only be relied for exiting and entering a marina. If that's all you got, consider using oars.

You boat deserves an inboard engine on the order of 30 horsepower.
That isn't exactly true. I have a 5HP 4 Stroke Mercury that I use not only to enter and exit the marina, but also I have used it several times to cross the low Chesapeake Bay which is about 17 miles.

Boat displacement is around 6600 lbs.

My motor has the extra long 25" shaft. It's mounted on an adjustable Panther Bracket with 14" swing which is located near the bottom of the stern.

I set the motor/bracket up all the way when entering and exiting my slip so I can use both the tiller on the boat and the tiller on the engine.

I can turn the engine thru 180 degress plus which makes " parking " and tying off at the dock quite easy.

Not sure you will be able to with your stern.

The motor is one hole up from it's lowest setting I believe in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WD.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	100890  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 11:13   #15

I'd pay close attention to the weight of the engine that you are mounting back there...I would imagine the boat was not designed to accommodate much weight hanging of the stern. Down the river from our marina there is a sailboat of about 30-32' anchored (permanently) that has what looks to be a 20 HP (or more) outboard on the stern. The weight is so much that the bow rides very high while at anchor...it looks ridiculous and it is obvious that the individual has no intention of really ever moving the boat.
Sailinnole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cal 29, outboard