Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 19:54   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Adding bigger water and fuel tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
secondly if the boats dynamics are compromised when you do use it , you'll be compromised

if you cant justify the extra tanks on an ongoing basis , then its ridiculous tearing the boat apart to add permanent tanks that you'll not use regularly . Use deck cans, etc to provide occasional storage !!

Is water lighter when it is in deck cans than when in tankage? Asking for a friend.
Old 16-08-2022, 05:42   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
whats the point of that , firstly you have given up space for something you are now not using, that's rather silly,

secondly if the boats dynamics are compromised when you do use it , you'll be compromised

if you cant justify the extra tanks on an ongoing basis , then its ridiculous tearing the boat apart to add permanent tanks that you'll not use regularly . Use deck cans, etc to provide occasional storage !!

Permanent tankage is much more convenient than deck cans. And keeps the weight lower in the boat in most cases too. So if you've already got a reason to mess with tanks, it doesn't hurt to add more capacity. Then you just plan your fills based on need. Plenty of times, you only need to carry a few days of water, so you might fill the tanks to half. But if you semi-frequently take trips where you need more water, you have the option to just put more in the tanks (instead of having cans on deck adding weight up high, in the way, etc.).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 07:49   #18

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Cans on deck is the worst storage for water and fuel.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 07:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
300 liters is a LOT of water on a 30' boat. The weight of that much water could negatively impact how the boat performs and in some cases could be dangerous.
Depends on the boat. My 30' was designed with a 300L main tank. Has another 120L in cans in a cockpit locker and a flexible tank of unknown size at the bottom of the other cockpit locker.

Next year there will be a water marker.
Old 16-08-2022, 08:02   #20

Plastic tanks are available in many sizes. Installation is not simple, but works if you take your time.

Another consideration is just to add a water maker; more $, but less weight and never having to find water. If you have 40 gallon capacity now and double that, you are still going to be looking for water regularly if cruising. it will drive where you go and what you do.

I spent a bunch of money and time adding extra fuel tanks to one boat, only to find i didn't want or need them. Emptied both extra tanks by using, shut the valves and never refilled them. This was cruising in the E. Carribean.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 13:04   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My Pearson 365 has 3, 50gl. tanks totaling 150gl. when full, my boat sits a little bow heavy, so the forward tank gets used 1st. With 2 people aboard, using 3gl of water each per day, you could make any destination. I don't know about now but 3gl of water a day was considered luxury. With that much water, it negates a watermaker.
Extra fuel is a tricky one. My boat carries a 50 gallon tank. I carry 4, 5gl. gerry's. Any larger tank, for me, creates a maintenance problem with the cleanliness with the fuel while storing for long periods of time.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 13:17   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Cans on deck is the worst storage for water and fuel.
I was addressing the issue of occasional need. It makes no sense to rip the boat up and go to the expense of adding permanent tanks , to then not fill them fully upon a regular basis.
Old 16-08-2022, 14:00   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

It would really help to know what model boat we're talking about, and how it's used.

So I'll comment using our boat as an example- Hunter Legend 37.5

Fuel: would need a solid fuel tank, probably stainless. There is no space where the existing tank is; I suppose I could rip out the existing tank and slightly upsize to get another 8 liters, oh boy.

If, as suggested, I rip out the holding tank and go composting, I could use that space and add another fuel tank (or rip and replace with a larger tank) and gain 68 additional liters. That's kinda impressive. It would be costly, because the tank would be about 1.5 meters long, with the length reaching side to side, so it would have to have baffles.

Or I could use some aft storage space (unknown strength) and install another tank for another 20 liters. I won't because I don't think there's much there to support it, other than the hull.

Water would be easy on our boat. Toss a couple bladders into storage areas down low, we could easily add 150 liters. Cost would be minimal, and I could plumb it in a couple hours.

Every boat is different, so insights are generic until someone knows your boat.
Old 16-08-2022, 14:02   #24
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
It would really help to know what model boat we're talking about, and how it's used.

So I'll comment using our boat as an example- Hunter Legend 37.5

Fuel: would need a solid fuel tank, probably stainless. There is no space where the existing tank is; I suppose I could rip out the existing tank and slightly upsize to get another 8 liters, oh boy.

If, as suggested, I rip out the holding tank and go composting, I could use that space and add another fuel tank (or rip and replace with a larger tank) and gain 68 additional liters. That's kinda impressive.

Or I could use some aft storage space (unknown strength) and install another tank for another 20 liters. I won't because I don't think there's much there to support it, other than the hull.

Water would be easy on our boat. Toss a couple bladders into storage areas down low, we could easily add 150 liters. Cost would be minimal, and I could plumb it in a couple hours.

Every boat is different, so insights are generic until someone knows your boat.
In my opinion modern good quality plastic tanks are best for water , sewage and diesel. Vetus do a nice set of such tanks
Old 16-08-2022, 23:50   #25

Quote:
I was addressing the issue of occasional need. It makes no sense to rip the boat up and go to the expense of adding permanent tanks , to then not fill them fully upon a regular basis.
Installing a bladder tank is easy and nowhere near rip up the boat.
Old 22-08-2022, 08:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk123 View Post
Is adding larger water and fuel tanks straightforward or do most boats say the 1980s not like it?
Seen a few boats but only have 100l water for example!
Is it easy enough to add larger water and fuel tanks where the originals are?
As others have pointed out it is not real easy to add a lot. However there is a simple answer to address added water requirement. Add a Self contained Rainman Watermaker. It is built with an attached Honda gasoline motor in a complete case. They are simple to use. Set the unit on deck. Drop the water line in the water. Connect the filter drop the line with the brin overboard and start the motor. Taste the fresh water output after a few minutes to make sure it is fresh then put it in the fill hole to the tank. You’re done!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 19:49   #27

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

Plastimo (France) make excellent water bladders for fresh water. Various shapes and sizes and well priced
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 06:14   #28

2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle build, we engineered it without built-in tanks.
Instead, we use stainless-steel five-gallon retired Pepsi kegs.
Our standard load is seven, a total of thirty-five gallons.
Our 'system' is modular, so we can easily add a dozen more.
In addition to modular, we think these portable kegs are superior to built-in tanks because:
* isolation -- if one keg gets stanky, the others stay in service... and can be used to clean the problem-child
* separable -- a couple-three kegs can go to town for re-fill while the others stay in camp
* a keg can go to the campfire or picnic-table
* a keg can be loaned to a chum.
Pepsi kegs are engineered to be pressurized.
A quick puff from a 12vdv bicycle tire pump, and fresh clean water flows from the sprayer designed for a stand-still house kitchen-sink.
For showers, we use a dedicated three-gallon 'Torpedo' keg, a miniature of the Pepsi kegs.
To heat water, we use a pair of 'sous vide' circulation heaters designed to hold cooking water at a set temperature.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard.
We engineered our rig after;
* a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, plus
* a year and a hundred thousand miles delivering RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
These experiences convinced us to go simple.
We think simple is better.
We think less equipment to break is better.
We think less equipment to wear-out and replace/repair is better.
We think less equipment to maintain and store and manage is better.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2022, 08:15   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
2003, for our ExpeditionVehicle build, we engineered it without built-in tanks.
Instead, we use stainless-steel five-gallon retired Pepsi kegs.
Our standard load is seven, a total of thirty-five gallons.
Our 'system' is modular, so we can easily add a dozen more.
In addition to modular, we think these portable kegs are superior to built-in tanks because:
* isolation -- if one keg gets stanky, the others stay in service... and can be used to clean the problem-child
* separable -- a couple-three kegs can go to town for re-fill while the others stay in camp
* a keg can go to the campfire or picnic-table
* a keg can be loaned to a chum.
Pepsi kegs are engineered to be pressurized.
A quick puff from a 12vdv bicycle tire pump, and fresh clean water flows from the sprayer designed for a stand-still house kitchen-sink.
For showers, we use a dedicated three-gallon 'Torpedo' keg, a miniature of the Pepsi kegs.
To heat water, we use a pair of 'sous vide' circulation heaters designed to hold cooking water at a set temperature.
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard.
We engineered our rig after;
* a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, plus
* a year and a hundred thousand miles delivering RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
These experiences convinced us to go simple.
We think simple is better.
We think less equipment to break is better.
We think less equipment to wear-out and replace/repair is better.
We think less equipment to maintain and store and manage is better.

Justification is a wonderful pastime.
Old 23-08-2022, 08:49   #30

Boat: Catalina 320

You want a sailboat or just a floating RV ? Where do you anticipate taking a 30' boat that you won't be able to get fuel or water every couple weeks ? Icebox or refrigerator ? after 2 weeks the "fresh" food is gone and that's about time you start heading for the nearest shoreside steak and cold beer.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, tanks, water