Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 13:13   #1

Adding Ballast

For example a Moody 27. It has displacement of 5750 lbs and ballast of 2530 lbs.

What can be done (without going way out beyond design) to improve the sailing comfort in heavy weather of this small boat?

Could you add a lead bulb to the keel to improve ballast or would that just drag the boat below the waterline?

Any other economic ideas?

(BUY A BIGGER BOAT ! )
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:23   #2

Re: Adding Ballast

That ratio sounds fine to me. About 44% I guess. Why do you want more? The highest ratio boat I had was the wettest, 50%, but it was a narrow boat. That's why those have a lot of ballast. But they still sail heavily heeled.

Bulbs have been added to boats. There are various ways. You can through bolt (side to side) Zinc or lead bricks, (44# each) through the bottom of the keel creating a bulb of sorts. Fill and glass them for smoothness if you wish.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:43   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Reduce sail?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:48   #4

Reason is I don't have budget to buy a 30ft plus boat which has better comfort ratio (on average) and smaller capsize ratio (on average).

The way covid is affecting travel combined with Brexit, it feels like spending money on a bigger boat to liveaboard solo is a waste of time if you can only stay in UK or make short trips in Northern Europe, coastal France and Spain.

I'm just thinking how to get more for less !
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 15:56   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

IMO you don't have enough room to work with. Your bilge is so shallow and you have a pretty wide and flat hull. I'd be really wary of adding a bulb to a keel that was not engineered for it. I'd say just enjoy her the way she was designed, and yeah, in heavy weather just reef early. With that wide and flat hull she'll be a bit bouncy in short chop, but on the positive side you'll probably beat most of us back to the harbor.
What kind of weather are you planning to go out in?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 16:09   #6

Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran

we added 250kg to the bulb of one of a 36' race boat i had a life time ago. the exisiting bulb was a semi-circle, with a flat bottom. the shoe we added complete the circle

transformed the boat and was a major success

however

the boat already had a seriously overspec-ed aluminium girder sub-floor that the keel was attached to, plus a sister boat had the same mod done a year earlier

this meant we were fairly confident in the engineering, and that we weren't going to rip the keel off

before adding any weight to your keel, you need to do the same : check carefully that the boat structure can handle the significant extra load. you may just add say 100kg, but this is whipping around at the end of a say 2m lever.

do your home work...employ a professional if necessary...and if in doubt - DONT DO IT

cheers,

ps : more stability puts extra load on your rig too !