Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2015, 12:49   #16

Re: About to pull the string on 44CC Beneteau Oceanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
we have a bene 44cc and just love it, we plan to go full circle starting next year if we live long enough. Ours has a dark blue hull, thats the only thing i dont like about it, anything other than white is very hard to maintain, and the Maintenance is my role. Plenty offshore miles done and it gives great confidence. we looked at the hylas as well. Watertight bulkhead up front is a great + on a glassfiber boat especially if you plan lots of miles like us. There were 2 Hylas for sale when we first bought and we could not afford either of them. The bene proved a better choice in the end for many reasons. Beneteau Hull colour on our 2001 model is RAL code 5003 (BlueNavy)and the white is RAL 1906

We got talked out of it. And the Admiral transferred my duty station to HI. There will be no boat there at least in the near future.

We are probably going to reside on a Manta part of the year in the Caribbean and the rest in HI. But I'm still moving (purging residence now, closing, yada yada) and I'd rather do most anything than move. I hate myself right now and this can't end soon enough. I'm sure the Admiral hates me more right now and can't wait either.

I'm being a very, very, very bad boy.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 18:42   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Jobberone.

I looked at both boats you linked. Both are nice. Big difference in cost though.

If you have the money for the 2006 Cat (about $500K) and you want a sugar scoop or easy entry to the water for diving AND you want to enjoy a luxurious retirement on the boat, I would suggest taking a look at a boat I recently learned about that looks VERY nice and would be ideal for cruising the waters of Florida, Bahamas, or Caribbean.

NOTE: I have no connection to the boat or brokers or manufacturers. I am simply passing on information about a boat I found very interesting and one that appeals to me for similar purposes (retirement, live aboard, cruising shallow waters of Florida, Keys, Bahamas, Caribbean).

46RK | Seaward Yachts

The Hake Seaward 46RK is a very different kind of boat that has some of the best features of a cat (low draft of only 2' 5" with keel raised), can be beached, and can be equipped with TWIN 75 HP diesel engines (since you have a power boat background). The boat is made in Florida. The manufacturer has many videos that show the boat features and construction and interior. Price is about $400- $500K for the 2014 model that is 46 feet long. It has three double berths (with dinette becoming fourth double if you need).

The interior is very nice, the master stateroom is large (with centerline queen) the head has a separate shower (and looks very nice) and the cockpit looks very comfortable for both sailing (captains chair is raised) and for lounging.

You should see the transom (watch the videos) as it has a large platform that looks ideal for entering with SCUBA gear. I SCUBA dive too, and this boat looks like it was made for that kind of enjoyment in lagoons or remote places. And I like that both the keel and the twin rudders can be raised for entering very shallow waters or beaching the boat.

I like cats. At the $400K price point (or less), my choice would be a Lagoon 380 for a couple who does not need to take a lot of guests. But there are many nice cats, and larger ones can be very luxurious.

There are some other things that may or may not be important to you regarding this boat compared to a cat.

1. It should be easier to find a marina berth for it (it is a mono)
2. It may be less expensive to keep in a marina (it is a mono)
3. It may sail with better pointing (going up wind or going to windward) ability due to being a mono with a ballasted bulb keel that can be lowered
Half a million for an outboard powerde sailboat??? True insanity
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 19:08   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Actually twin inboard Yanmars.
Old 30-03-2015, 19:19   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
We got talked out of it. And the Admiral transferred my duty station to HI. There will be no boat there at least in the near future.

We are probably going to reside on a Manta part of the year in the Caribbean and the rest in HI. But I'm still moving (purging residence now, closing, yada yada) and I'd rather do most anything than move. I hate myself right now and this can't end soon enough. I'm sure the Admiral hates me more right now and can't wait either.

I'm being a very, very, very bad boy.
Maybe a nice charter to reengage the Admiral away from the dark side (land yacht or stink boat)...?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Maybe a nice charter to reengage the Admiral away from the dark side (land yacht or stink boat)...?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We're looking at an older Manta and maybe a Nautitech to have on the East Coast.
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, oceanis