Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 16:23   #1

About Interior Colors - Questions, Questions . . .

been surfing for boat interiors and strangely almost every interiors iv seen are white, any good reasons for this?

I understand about exterior as any color pigments atracts heat, but sins these are our homes why not color our worlds and enjoy.

personaly I like orange, greens, blues and can very well visualise a nice warm italian look inside my boat with its rich wood work, with my large portlights the visual efects of colors at sunset-sunrise would be most pleasing dont you think?

any opinions

my boat exterior is an ugly pastel blue, however one day as I was sitting in the cockpit watching the sunset, I was amased at the color effect and probably will keep the blue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 037.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	19525  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 16:36   #2

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
White is pretty traditional for the interior of ships and yachts. In part it is to help with lighting at night, as some boat interiors are not overly well lighted. Secondly, white or a light tan or off white gives the sense of more space than one actually has, and keeps the occupants from feeling claustrophobic or confined.

White is not so important for minimizing heat absorption on the inside as it is on the outside, unless you have a lot of unshaded portlights, so most any colour or colour combination that you feel to be aesthetically pleasing would be fine. A USN study back in the 1960s recommended different colours or colour combinations in different compartments on submarines as being psychologically beneficial to crewmen in confined spaces..
Old 22-09-2010, 16:45   #3

Do it. Any color you like. Report back with pics.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 17:15   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my boat interior is teakwood; my ericson is teak and cream vinyl. sweet and soft and cozy. perfect for performance boats-- my ericson is 35 ft-- my islander had same --was 26 ft.
i like the teakwoood interior best. very warm ambiance. with oil lamps it cant be beat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 22:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I'm with Daddle on this....do it....its your boat.
It may effect your resale value if thats a concern.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 23:13   #6

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. We have just redone some of our interior colors. We like the warm look and feel. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crew's Quarters.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	19533  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 01:07   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Go for something bright! And Cheerful! And Happy!!

Light colours do increase the look of space on a boat, but that doesnt mean it has to be white.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 04:48   #8

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, mate. We have just redone some of our interior colors. We like the warm look and feel. Cheers.

Very nice.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:19   #9

Boat: 1962 Hunter Sedan 38'
I'm in the same boat. lol, my kitchen and dinette are painted a pale blue, kinda turning green now color. and its gotta go, but i'm not sure what colour to paint it, my resale value is high on the list too.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:09   #10

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
We'll be keeping the extensive teak on the interior (though updating much) and going with a texture cream/beige upholstery. However, we're redoing the curtains now in a bold white/navy pattern (with sunbrella backing) If we like it, we'll likely add some throw cushions and blankets (it is our home, we can stow those on the v-berth when not in use, and damnit, I like me a warm blanket for reading in these cold winter nights!) We figure this gives us the option of relatively quick updates, without having to redo the cushions.

I cannot wait to be rid of the garish huge multicoloured floral pattern on faded red backing on the saloon cushions!!
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 15:08   #11

Boat: Cal 2-46 Splish Splash
Colors?????

We are going through the same process i.e. picking new color for both interior and exterior on our older, live aboard, boat.
One of the things we've done is to get several paint chips from the local Home Depot in the general range that we like and then tape them to the areas we plan to repaint, this way we can live with them for a while in differing light situations to get an idea of the overall effect. Haven't made any final decisions yet but since we are in the tropics we'll probably go with a light off-white and use bright accents in fabrics to give a "fun" Mexican tone to the salon. For the hull we'll stay pretty traditional, white with tan nonskid and a little trim to match the topside fabrics (forest green).
The interior wood trim is pretty dark so that is being lightened by stripping off the original stain and varnishing the lighter wood underneath.
It's a bit time consuming but fun and I think the results will be worth it since the boat had been "rode hard and put away wet" before we bought her last year.
SeaSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:00   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowride14 View Post
I'm in the same boat. lol, my kitchen and dinette are painted a pale blue, kinda turning green now color. and its gotta go, but i'm not sure what colour to paint it, my resale value is high on the list too.
If you are a proven very creative person, you could do the colourful thing and end up with a unique, to-die-for look. At best you'll have a small market of raving fans who will pay a premium for a sombrero shaped like a boat.

For resale, white is the only colour, and gloss varnish if you have timber. Get creative with the soft furnishings and your boat will stand out in the marketplace to the highest number of potential buyers.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:18   #13

Boat: Traditional 30
Dark colours are depressing and make a boat look small inside. My personal preference for an interior is lots of white gel coat ( easy to clean and goes with any colour) with some timber trim to keep it a tad nautical.

I cant stand boats that go over the top trying to be nautical and look tacky. There is one boat I saw recently that had little anchor shapes cut into lockers to act as vents. This was obviously owned by a noobie or designed by someone wanting to sell to a noobie. Blaahhhh!

Ok I have started my rant now. I dont even like cups and plate with little sailboats on them. Tacky! Hmm, I better stop now before I offend the entire forum.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:20   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
been surfing for boat interiors and strangely almost every interiors iv seen are white, any good reasons for this?
I like white. gloss white. but this thread got me thinking a few months back...........

.........especially as I realised that I liked the forepeak colour scheme being an off white undercoat (light tea?). and I've had plenty of time to get used to it

The original plan was to topcoat in gloss white, but have now not only bought some off white topcoat, but also in a satin finish Obviously had to go non-marine for that , but figured if good enough for front doors then good enough for boat interior.........and if not I simply get to do it again (which is usually plan B on my "ideas").

Of course no before (nor after) photos .........but an older traditional (ish) boat so a look of painted wood in keeping, rather than trying (and failing) to acheive a Beneteau crisp factory fresh look.

Must get that camera out............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:06   #15

I am still undesided on my interior color, red, orange, green, blue are all equaly nice with teak wood...it is a fals belife that deep colors make a room smaller...iv seen many asian boats with such colors and nice curtains...the look is fantastic...like you say we can repaint it if we dont like.

cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior