Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 14:26   #1

About CETOL

I fund cetol at the hardware store but there is 5 different types.
can I use one for all my woods?
wich one
rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:03   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
what color and gloss level do you want?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 16:23   #3

natural teak feel and look.
Old 25-10-2010, 16:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
natural teak feel and look.
If you want the look of varnished teak, there is only one way to get that and it isn't with cetol. If you aren't a stickler for looks, you can come close with the cetol called natural gloss but that too tends to be more orange than real varnish. Having done it both ways, my personal opinion is they are both about the same level of work and time to achieve a really good look which is why I stopped using it in favor of Epithanes varnish which to me looks better and lasts longer in my experience.
Old 25-10-2010, 16:55   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I HATE CETOL......it's orange, looks like plastic fake wood and takes just as much work as normal "honey" colored varnish.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 17:13   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I uses the Cetol Natural, it's a much better color than the original " orange" color.

After you build up the coats you can put the gloss over it, or not, up to you. Try it on a small section, see if you like it. I'm pretty happy with mine.
I use it for the exterior mostly.
Old 25-10-2010, 17:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If you want the look of varnished teak, there is only one way to get that and it isn't with cetol. If you aren't a stickler for looks, you can come close with the cetol called natural gloss but that too tends to be more orange than real varnish. Having done it both ways, my personal opinion is they are both about the same level of work and time to achieve a really good look which is why I stopped using it in favor of Epithanes varnish which to me looks better and lasts longer in my experience.
can you show me some of your wood?

I dont like the orange tint, however I want to paint my interior cabin orange so I guess it will bounce off the wood unless I make the wood darker?
Old 25-10-2010, 20:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
can you show me some of your wood?

I dont like the orange tint, however I want to paint my interior cabin orange so I guess it will bounce off the wood unless I make the wood darker?
Any pics I have are very misleading, both good and bad depending on the light and don't show the real flavor of the color. Maybe somebody here as a closeup of teak done both with cetol and varnish in the same photo.
Old 25-10-2010, 20:43   #9

Mac uses Cetol so I can't bag on it anymore. Personally I hate the stuff, but Golden Heart looks beautiful.

Gallery - Category: Life Aquatic - Image: Golden Heart
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:02   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Varnish?

I have varnish and Cetol on Idora as an experiment to see which aggravates me the most......so far they both increase my humility in equal portions...the whole thing makes me worry about the boat. Once I dreamed that the whole boat was covered in a thick layer of moss.. oh well.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at dock in PL2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	20512  
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:40   #11

Boat: CT54
To me Cetol looks like a combination of varnish and paint. I can always tell the difference between varnish and cetol as cetol lacks the depth of varnish. That being said if it is easier than varnish to maintain perhaps it is worth it. We are in the tropics right now and just got done with almost a weeks worth of work varnishing after a long hot summer.....not a job for the weak of spirit believe me.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:43   #12

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
I walked past Golden Heart nearly every day for two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Mac uses Cetol so I can't bag on it anymore. Personally I hate the stuff, but Golden Heart looks beautiful.

Gallery - Category: Life Aquatic - Image: Golden Heart
never got to see the inside till I followed your link.

that is the most beautiful boat I ever saw at any dock. She is just absolutely gorgeous standing next to her on the dock. I have serious pea green boat envy for that boat.

Hey Golden Heart! If you're ever for sale, please PM me! I want first dibs.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 05:45   #13

Boat: gozzard 44
Don't use Cetol Gloss over bare wood!
It's used as a topcoat over Cetol Marine, Cetol Natural, or Cetol Light. The reason: it doesn't have enough UV protection to stick -- check the label.

The reason Cetol begins looking orangey is that too many coats have been applied over time. Apply just 2-3 coats then 2 coats of Gloss. An annual maintenance coat of Gloss keeps it looking good.

Varnish is the best looking, of course, but only if you want to be a slave to your brightwork.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 06:43   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
To me Cetol looks like a combination of varnish and paint. I can always tell the difference between varnish and cetol as cetol lacks the depth of varnish. That being said if it is easier than varnish to maintain perhaps it is worth it. We are in the tropics right now and just got done with almost a weeks worth of work varnishing after a long hot summer.....not a job for the weak of spirit believe me.
Jackie
I would second that with an additional comment that to me Cetal is a paint, not a varnish. It is opaque and colored, sort of orange. You can immediately recognize Cetol versus a translucent varnish-type product. But after 6 months, a year, two years or more the properly applied Cetol is still there. Over that time period my objection to the "orange paint" evaporated as I watched other boats with blistered and pealing varnish while my Cetol kept on doing its thing. After 3 years the Cetol started lifting/pealing and I had to redo the job.
- - I was just not into varnishing/poly-urethan-ing teak every season or less. I would rather be swimming, exploring, or hanging upside down in the bilge fixing stuff in there. So I put up with the strange color and look of Cetol in exchange for the all the time I did not have to spend re-varnishing teak.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 07:05   #15

Boat: CT54
If varnishing is something you do not enjoy then Cetol sounds like a good way to go. Personally I do not mind varnishing as I enjoy the mindless work (it seems therapeutic the me) kind of like knitting but you are out in the fresh air and sunshine. When we owned our house I really enjoyed painting so enjoying varnishing is not that much of a reach for me.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote