Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2022, 10:45   #1

A very good 35' one hander

In my 60's we sold both our boats. In my 70's now and wife has had both knees operated on, one good and one just usable. Would like some recommendations on 35'+/- built 2000 or newer that is easy to one hand. Want something to use along the Gulf maybe to South America. Have a condo with 40' deeded dock in Florida where we go winters. Most use willl be me doing a day sail.
warren5421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 17:59   #2

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard
Re: A very good 35' one hander

What’s the budget? That will help narrow down the choices to aid those who are in touch with the market.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 21:25   #3

Boat: Hunter 36

My Hunter 36 is easy for me to singlehand, and I am not that good of a sailor.

Honestly, I think any relatively modern boat in that size range would be fine for sailing solo, outside of some specialty boats or racing sailboats. A portable electric sailboat winch would help too.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 04:31   #4

I had not set a budget as I have not started looking at boats yet. I figure under $75,000 but can go higher if I like what I am looking at. I know prices are up and market is down. Also know I can have a build done but don't want the wait as I might not be here when it was done (age).
Old 16-06-2022, 07:06   #5

Don't see how to edit.

It is summer so am in Indianapolis and won't be back to the Gulf till sometime in Oct. want to be here for grandson's birthday. I then will look for a boat. I may have to go with a trawler even though the sail boat sounds so much better in good winds.
Old 16-06-2022, 07:26   #6

For ultimate ease, an unstayed cat rig like a Nonsuch or Freedom. Cons, they can't heave to.
argosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 16:16   #7

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Also huge heavy sail to handle in wind
but very comfortable
Bill

QUOTE=argosail;3639860]For ultimate ease, an unstayed cat rig like a Nonsuch or Freedom. Cons, they can't heave to.[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 16:45   #8

Boat: Grampian 30

Bump for the Nonsuch. I sailed a 30'er a couple of years ago and was quite surprised at how well it did, both upwind and down. And it was Huge inside for a 30' boat. Heavy main, yes, so perhaps an appropriately sized winch (possibly electric) to assist with raising might be a worthwhile investment. Dead simple to sail though and quite enjoyable if you're not looking to do much other than put up a sail and go. If you like tweaking and trimming, well, you'll be bored.

A Tartan 34 might also suit, if you can find one that far south. It is an older boat and design but is suitable for the kind of sailing you are planning. The lower price might let you outfit it to your liking and make whatever changes you feel are needed to facilitate safe and easy single handing for you. I say 'for you' because, as I sail single handed most of the time, and know quite a few others who do as well, it is amazing how different our preferred setups are and yet we all manage just fine.

I recommended an early 2000's Hanse 42 on another thread and it is still on my list of favourites. I can't speak for how a smaller one would do, but that vintage, and hull design, would be something I'd look for if boat shopping again.

Of course there are many, many, great options so I don't mean that these are definitive. Just throwing out what I have experience or knowledge about.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2022, 21:46   #9

Boat: Farr 1020

I could promote my Farr 1020 as I find her easy to single hand, but for your purposes it is more important to summarise the needs when single handing.
My criteria were
1. Wheel steering with an autopilot operated by push button at the helm - OK, I had to really search to find the Farr converted from tiller to wheel and fitted with under deck hydraulic autopilot, but I did.
2. Mainsheet traveller at the helm - so you have control when there.
3. Smaller - ish headsails - reduces effort to tack, perhaps you may even want self-tacking.
4. Primary winches reached from the helm - you will have enough to do without running around the cockpit.
5. Inboard diesel (or electric) engine with controls at the helm
6. Ease of access to cleats for mooring line handling. I also like low freeboard so no massive leap/reach needed when at the dock.

You can compile the list appropriate to yourself and then, only then, start the search. Include issues such as draft etc that are appropriate to your area of sailing.
Have fun, there are lots out there, perhaps even cats to consider, they have added stability to ease the movement as we age.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 10:53   #10

Beneteau 36 CC with in mast furling, was on one a few weeks ago in Lanzarote, very easy to sail and lovely interior.
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote