Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which of the two for singlehanded learning?
Laser 9 69.23%
Sunfish 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 07:34   #76

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: A Sunfish to teach myself the ropes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
The crux of the argument is this: the smaller the boat the quicker it responds to wind, sail trim and steering.
This is why I like the Soling 27 self-tacking jib as a beginner's boat. It breaks the above-stated rule.

It responds to wind, sail trim and steering as well as any dinghy I've sailed, but with a relatively deep keel, is a lot more stable than a lot of beginner's boats. And it points upwind better than your J boats of similar size.

OK, I've said my piece (twice) and I'll lay off now.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:00   #77

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Not being flippant. You learn to sail by going sailing. The more often you sail, the better you get. The more types of sailboats you sail, the better you get.

Don't forget to have fun!
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:35   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Sunfish to teach myself the ropes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo2jones View Post
Anything less than 25 will do, but there is an old saying: Dinghy sailers are the best! A 14 ft boat in 20 knots of breeze is like handling a 40 ft boat in 35 knots.
This made me smile..
Years ago when I was based out of Poole, UK I had a friend who dinghy raced regularly in the fleets in Poole Harbour.
One day he asked if he could come out with me on my Magyar 24, we headed off to Lulworth Cove early morning on an E'ly but as we approached Durlston Head the wind went SW and picked up from F4 to F6 and wind over tide..
It only lasted for an hour and a half before the tide turned but running back to Poole into the 4-5ft seas that had picked up quickly had him crapping himself.. he never ventured out of the harbour again.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 10:04   #79

Boat: Hunter 170

Many ways to get out sailing.

Once you are out on the fish you have, ask people with bigger boats if you can go out with them. Most people are happy to take you along and let you try operating it.

Odds are you are going to find the Sunfish to just be fun and keep it. Then find a deal on something bigger that you like.

Keep it simple and keep on the water playing in a way that fits your life, the waters around you and your pocketbook.

Have fun.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 14:57   #80

Boat: CL14 #1179

On the topic of dinghy’s, would there be any benefit to insuring one on the notion that it may help you obtain better insurance rates down the road on a larger vessel? My CL14 is only worth probably $2k, not worth insuring, but if insuring it help lower future premiums, I’d be open to it.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 16:13   #81

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Go with the catamaran

I commented in your post on cats. We have a sunfish. It’s a lot to do for a beginner, lots of lines and things to watch out for when tacking.

But mostly it’s a dog. And this one is dry. It takes a lot of wind to have a good sail. If you must, go with the laser. But I still say catamaran
Old 14-04-2022, 15:54   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
On the topic of dinghy’s, would there be any benefit to insuring one on the notion that it may help you obtain better insurance rates down the road on a larger vessel? My CL14 is only worth probably $2k, not worth insuring, but if insuring it help lower future premiums, I’d be open to it.
I don't think it works like that, other than building up a loyalty or claims-free discount with the insurer. What has worked for us is experience and education. Completing CYA Basic Keelboat grabbed us an extra 5% off, but I had to switch brokers to find one who knew enough about boat insurance to properly apply discounts.

Also, you might find it possible to insure your CL14 througn your existing homeowners insurance... it might even be there already, or yours for the asking.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 18:09   #83
LCS

Hello there.

While I respect the view that a sunfish is a good way to start or a laser I do think that something a bit bigger in a monohull might prove to teach you a bit more. Maybe it depends on how often you like to swim. The Sunfish and the Laser are quite prone to tipping over and putting you in the drink. Maybe a one design type boat that you can rely on to stay upright almost all the time. It kind of depends where you live and what the waters are like. One of the joys of sailing a small boat is when others in your area also sail that boat. Once you learn to sail your small boat you can race them or if they are a two man boat crew on one to learn. Depending on where you are in the country a Lightning, 420, Thistle, Snipe could be possible choices.

Better yet -- go visit your local yacht or sailing club and find out what they sail and who is looking for a crew to train. That might give you perspective before you buy. Generally, yacht clubs are friendly places where new enthusiasts are welcomed.

Best wishes!
LCS
LCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, learning, monohull, newbie, racer, Sunfish, tiller, weekender