Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 16:31   #1

Boat: O'Day 19 (not Rhodes model), and Chrysler 26
A step up from an O'Day 19?

Hi, my wife and I have had an O'Day 19 for about 10 years (not a mariner or a 192). It was a perfect first boat. It is beamy and feels safe, has a very large cockpit and is a generally responsive boat. However, we are now considering something that might be a step up, something that points towards wind better, moves a little quicker and maybe has more adjustments (ours doesn't have a vang for example).

We are limited in size due to our harbor. Plus, when we get a tide that is at sea level or below, the boat sits on the bottom. We would definitely require a swing keel because of this. I think that 20' or 21' might be our maximum.

The large cockpit is essential as we often travel with our dogs, and pre- covid, used to have company on board as well. We had a Chrysler 26 for a while and the cockpit was smaller than the ODay 19, which did not like.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. If we keep this boat, it will be time for new sails and I would add a flexible furler I can reef. So we need to decide reasonably soon. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
Snowdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 16:53   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: A step up from an O'Day 19?

Hi. I worked at O’Day. Maybe I built your boat. Yikes.
What harbor please.
How about a Marshall cat boat...any cat boat. Nice. Roomy. Sleep overnight.
No water no problem.
Saved the best for last and I’ve built a lot of boats.
Eddy and Duff ...Stonehorse. Oh mickey she’s so fine, she’s so fine she blows my mind. Simply perfect boat.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, good memory manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 20:33   #3

Manateeman,
Pamet Harbor, a small but gorgeous harbor.
Thank you for your suggestion, I will look it up. I am confused by part of your post. I have no idea what "Eddy and Duff ...Stonehorse. Oh mickey she’s so fine, she’s so fine she blows my mind. Simply perfect boat." refers to.
Old 18-08-2020, 05:25   #4

Hi. There is a Wikipedia page : Stonehorse. All the info is there.
The Stonehorse is a 25’ boat designed by Sam Crocker .
It was built by Eddy and Duff in Massachusetts.
Mickey was a song from long ago. I’m an old boatbuilder.
I believe this design is about as nice as you can draw given the vessel length.
She has the interior volume to make her comfortable. Strong build. You can actually enjoy sailing Cape Cod Bay and...even when windy...Buzzards Bay.
Sam Crocker designed an affordable boat that could sail in conditions that kept most boats that size tied to their mooring balls. One of the few boats this size that I would call seaworthy.
If you had tons of money you could have a larger version of “Roaring Bessie “ built . Go upstairs in the Providence Library and look at the model.
There is a clear line in vessel design especially at this length. On one side race influenced. J 24 type. On the other, fisherman influenced. No Mans Land boat.
Apples and oranges. You pick. For myself, I prefer seaworthy and safe over speed. Built both types. Sailed them too. Watch as the avalanche of comments follow this post then go to my profile. Decide for yourself. Who knows what.
But Stonehorse. Still so fine, she blows my mind.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a Sam Crocker loving manatee.
Old 18-08-2020, 10:10   #5

Boat: C-30 MKIII

Snowdog, there is a plethora of sailboats 20-23ft out there that could be a "step up' for your O'Day 19. The wing keel Catalina 22 or Capri 22 are two that come to mind; the list is too long to include here. What you need to decide are parameters such as do you plan to trailer, what level of sophistication and adjustability do you want/need, do you plan to sail in dirty weather, what amount and configuration of interior space do you want? Most of the good, afordable used boats will be older, so be careful about rigging, sails, and condition of the hull and deck. If initial cost is not a consideration, there are several new models that have come on the market in the past decade that are well-made and very space efficient but cost considerably more than a good older boat. With an older boat, you should also consider availability of boat-specific parts. Very important that you define how and where you plan to use the boat and under what conditions.
ArlyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:42   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Hi. There is a Wikipedia page : Stonehorse. All the info is there.
The Stonehorse is a 25’ boat designed by Sam Crocker .
It was built by Eddy and Duff in Massachusetts.
Mickey was a song from long ago. I’m an old boatbuilder.
I believe this design is about as nice as you can draw given the vessel length.
She has the interior volume to make her comfortable. Strong build. You can actually enjoy sailing Cape Cod Bay and...even when windy...Buzzards Bay.
Sam Crocker designed an affordable boat that could sail in conditions that kept most boats that size tied to their mooring balls. One of the few boats this size that I would call seaworthy.
If you had tons of money you could have a larger version of “Roaring Bessie “ built . Go upstairs in the Providence Library and look at the model.
There is a clear line in vessel design especially at this length. On one side race influenced. J 24 type. On the other, fisherman influenced. No Mans Land boat.
Apples and oranges. You pick. For myself, I prefer seaworthy and safe over speed. Built both types. Sailed them too. Watch as the avalanche of comments follow this post then go to my profile. Decide for yourself. Who knows what.
But Stonehorse. Still so fine, she blows my mind.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a Sam Crocker loving manatee.
The suggestion of a cat boat sounds like it would meet all of his criterion. How do they point up wind?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:40   #7

I like cat boats but I don’t think a Stonehorse is a traditional cat.
Anyway. Pamet harbor is real catboat territory. Stunningly beautiful even at moon low tide. I don’t know how to answer your question on pointing. The skill of the sailor is what points the vessel. We’re not at the point of self driving boats yet. The original poster wants to step up ? I thought he referred to a classier boat or one perfectly suited to his harbor...didn’t think race class. A J24 would be faster than his O’Day but would look a little funny on its side.
What would you recommend and why did you direct you age comment and boat question to me and not the original poster.
Mark, a curious manatee
Old 18-08-2020, 13:45   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I like cat boats but I don’t think a Stonehorse is a traditional cat.
Anyway. Pamet harbor is real catboat territory. Stunningly beautiful even at moon low tide. I don’t know how to answer your question on pointing. The skill of the sailor is what points the vessel. We’re not at the point of self driving boats yet. The original poster wants to step up ? I thought he referred to a classier boat or one perfectly suited to his harbor...didn’t think race class. A J24 would be faster than his O’Day but would look a little funny on its side.
What would you recommend and why did you direct you age comment and boat question to me and not the original poster.
Mark, a curious manatee
The Happy Trails to you. Roy Rogers and Dale Even's theme song, circa early 50s.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 17:34   #9

I was wondering about how the go up wind as well. It is something I noticed commented on on the web.
Old 18-08-2020, 17:41   #10

We are generally fair weather sailors. Never have travelled far. Our current boat can't fit a bimini which in summers like this one especially would be really nice. I need to talk to the harbor master about what he would consider my size limitation. It is a very tight harbor. Because of our mooring, I think I need to stick to a trailerable boat.
Old 18-08-2020, 17:48   #11

One of the Stone horse boat on yacht world is on a trailer.
Beautiful harbor. You’ll have the prettiest boat in it.
Manatee
Old 19-08-2020, 05:00   #12

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

The stone horse looks like a great “step up”, and you will definitely be “stepping up” your sailing game. Sounds like your Harbor may be owned lock stock and barrow by the Jones’s, what a shame. Enjoy your next endeavor.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 15:28   #13

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

My first real sailboat after the SunFish was the 19ft ODay. It was very forgiving and like a weeble, you can knock it down it would stand right back up (and we did several times). It taught us many lessons while we were having fun. One very good lesson is always look over your shoulder for weather. We didn't want to leave the island for home before the afternoon thunderstorms built. Great memories on that boat. I moved up from that to Hunter 28.5 a great coastal cruiser that taught additional lessons the hard way.
Old 21-08-2020, 12:11   #14

Thank you everyone for your replies. Often when one asks the first question replies come in which force one to narrow and better shape the question. First I have found that I am not limited by length of boat particularly. What I am limited by is having a mooring that when tides are negative are going to result in the boat to be sitting on the hard. So what that means is that the deeper the keel when retracted, the less access to the boat I will have as the time on either side of low tide that I can't move will increase.
So what I would like is a very shallow keel boat (my current draft is 12" and I think more than 18" will be problematic) and a boom high enough that I could install a bimini. Of course it must be relatively safe, and we like a cudy, even if it is just big enough for two. Any further thoughts in this parameter.
Old 21-08-2020, 15:19   #15

Boat: C-30 MKIII

If you can find one, the O'Day 20 draws 16" with the board up and just under 4' with the board down. It is a true pocket cruiser with a fairly spacious V-berth, built-in sink and well insulated icebox. Some models had a forward hatch, but that decreases the vertical space over the V-birth. The porta-potty sits in a space under the V-birth. If you have only 18" of water in your slip at low tide, you will be severely limited in terms of keel type and depth. The O'Day 20 has and amazing amount of interior space for a 20' boat, much more than the O'Day 19, but it is still only 20' long. It points fairly well with the board down and is relatively stable at the dock and in moderate winds (up to 20 mph) and moderate seas (3' or less). The cockpit is comfortable for four adults, we often had another couple on board, and it will sleep four in a pinch. I taught my wife to sail on an O'Day 20 and she loved the boat dearly. A bimini can be problematic as the main sheet block hangs on the backstay. We could use a bimini when at anchor or in a slip, but it restricts your ability to see the main when sailing.
ArlyB is offline   Reply With Quote