Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 13:21   #1

Boat: Macwester 27
A solid blue water cruiser

This topic has probably been on here a thousand times before, but I'm still struggling in my quest to find a boat suitable for me and my family.

We are planning a Pacific crossing next year.

I'm after a sturdy, safe yacht with 3 cabins.

42'+

If anyone has any ideas on suitable yachts, please list below 👍🏻👍🏻
live the dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 13:32   #2

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Re: A solid blue water cruiser

Farr 50 ticks a lot of boxes

2004 Farr 50 Pilothouse Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 26-04-2016, 13:36   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Same question in a current topic here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-165192.html

Is 3 cabins everything on your MUST HAVE and WOULD BE NICE list? No budget, no other deal breakers or wants and needs? Or are you waiting for unsuitable boats to be posted before letting us know more?
Old 26-04-2016, 13:47   #4

Sorry I forgot to say budget of £50k ish.
Old 26-04-2016, 13:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Same question in a current topic here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-165192.html

Is 3 cabins everything on your MUST HAVE and WOULD BE NICE list? No budget, no other deal breakers or wants and needs? Or are you waiting for unsuitable boats to be posted before letting us know more?

2 kids 6 and 9 are going to need their own space. So 3 cabins would be good. I can only find the Beneteau style boat with 3 cabins.
Old 26-04-2016, 13:50   #6

Please give us a little more to go on ... Budget and number of cabins isn't much.

What min/max length? Hull material? Location? Keel type? Engine prefs? Center cockpit? Etc. etc. etc.

If you don't narrow it down, you won't be able to see the forest for the trees, and you're not giving us anything to select boats ... Unless you simply want us to list every boat for sale world wide around your budget with 3 cabins?
Old 26-04-2016, 13:56   #7

To be fair there wouldn't be many to list or I wouldn't be posting this :-/

Grp 42ft+

I like the looks of the KP44/46, if only it had 3 cabins...
Old 26-04-2016, 14:05   #8

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ats-11673.html

10 Best Three Cabin/Stateroom Sailboats For Under $200,000 - Waves « Jordan Yacht Brokerage
Old 26-04-2016, 14:13   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Live The Dream:

It must be difficult to be at the beginning stages of a dream without knowing quite how to get there.

You will receive conflicting advice on this thread, and it will run the gamut from "do it now" to lengthy preparation schemes, and from going for a catamaran to a monohull, and among them, there are the heavier, full keel, vs. the lighter, fin keel crowd. Be prepared for that.

My own preference would be for you to get a small, competent daysailer, learn to sail, and see if you all enjoy it, first. If you are already together about the plan, then start looking at boats with your cabin requirements, and then come back and ask about the ones that you both like best. There are often owner groups for brand name boats, and reading those threads will give you an overview of the kinds of problems those people are solving.

Some people go cruising from a minimalist point of view, others want to have all the mod cons aboard. Lots of choices to make. Keep back enough funds to make changes along the way, as you find out what they might be, do not try to make the boat perfect before you leave. You learn by living with the boat of your choice.

Any previously owned boat will have work to be done on it. You'll want to make additions. If your 50 k pounds is your total, you'll want to keep back 20 k or so for the new *whatever* that you might want. Biggest items: engines, sails, re-rigging with chainplate repair/replacement; and electronic suites.

Finally, if you and your wife really want to do it, it is doable. Concessions will be made along the way, you experiment your ways through things, just as in the rest of life.

Ann

PS, I see that you have only a few posts here, one tool you have for evaluating the information people here offer is their profile [found by clicking on their screen name, then on "About Me"], that is where we put our cruising backgrounds, and another can be their avatar.
Old 26-04-2016, 14:20   #10

I've read that before, it's does seem like I'll need to look for something 50'+

Or do I go for a beno style one for smaller and cheaper 😁
Old 26-04-2016, 14:35   #11

Offer 12k for this one 1983 Custom Ted Brewer Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
On The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 15:38   #12

Yes, there are thousands and thousands of posts like this across the internet.

In the interest of efficiency and to avoid duplication of efforts, what boats have you already rejected?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 23:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Water View Post
I'm not a fan of steel boats.
I'd much rather grp 👍🏻
Old 26-04-2016, 23:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Live The Dream:

It must be difficult to be at the beginning stages of a dream without knowing quite how to get there.

You will receive conflicting advice on this thread, and it will run the gamut from "do it now" to lengthy preparation schemes, and from going for a catamaran to a monohull, and among them, there are the heavier, full keel, vs. the lighter, fin keel crowd. Be prepared for that.

My own preference would be for you to get a small, competent daysailer, learn to sail, and see if you all enjoy it, first. If you are already together about the plan, then start looking at boats with your cabin requirements, and then come back and ask about the ones that you both like best. There are often owner groups for brand name boats, and reading those threads will give you an overview of the kinds of problems those people are solving.

Some people go cruising from a minimalist point of view, others want to have all the mod cons aboard. Lots of choices to make. Keep back enough funds to make changes along the way, as you find out what they might be, do not try to make the boat perfect before you leave. You learn by living with the boat of your choice.

Any previously owned boat will have work to be done on it. You'll want to make additions. If your 50 k pounds is your total, you'll want to keep back 20 k or so for the new *whatever* that you might want. Biggest items: engines, sails, re-rigging with chainplate repair/replacement; and electronic suites.

Finally, if you and your wife really want to do it, it is doable. Concessions will be made along the way, you experiment your ways through things, just as in the rest of life.

Ann

PS, I see that you have only a few posts here, one tool you have for evaluating the information people here offer is their profile [found by clicking on their screen name, then on "About Me"], that is where we put our cruising backgrounds, and another can be their avatar.
Hi Ann

Sorry I've not filled in my info yet. I will do it later x

Im not trying to sound rude but that's why I asked people just to list suitable boats below!

I'm not after lengthy advice on wether to do or not to do it. I can read that everywhere:-/
Old 27-04-2016, 07:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Water View Post
Wow, not the OP but thanks for th tip.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water