Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 23:39   #1

A simple question.

Hello fellow cruising sailors. People who know one or more things about sailing know the name of Alain Colas. He was a French sailor, who sailed 236 foot 530 GT (with 787kW / 1056hp engine) sailing vessel single-handed in 1976 Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Race. So my question is: what kind of Captain's/Master's License do you need, to pull off something like this today (with a similar size vessel)? Assuming sailing ship is configured for single-handed sailing and sailor knows what he/she is doing...
Henry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:13   #2

Re: A simple question.

Is this a troll?

Not gonna bite, sorry.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:31   #3

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry K View Post
Hello fellow cruising sailors. People who know one or more things about sailing know the name of Alain Colas. He was a French sailor, who sailed 236 foot 530 GT (with 787kW / 1056hp engine) sailing vessel single-handed in 1976 Single-Handed Trans-Atlantic Race. So my question is: what kind of Captain's/Master's License do you need, to pull off something like this today (with a similar size vessel)? Assuming sailing ship is configured for single-handed sailing and sailor knows what he/she is doing...
I remember this. He had a 4 mast boat. Quite a spectacular sight!
I saw some footage of it in a movie about a colleague of his, the famous Eric Tabarly.
Didn't know about that big engine though.

The vessel being a sport boat and not commercial, he would not need any other license than a normal boating license for a motor boat.
Old 02-08-2020, 14:05   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thanks for posting that question Henry K. I remember years ago (pre google) reading about her and thanks to the internet have found out some more about her. What a beast of a yacht to single hand and then only to come second in the race.
Cheers
The Long, Troubled, Glamorous Life Of Superyacht Phocea | Pacific Islands Report
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 18:33   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

If I remember correctly the boat was sponsored by, and named, Club Med. It was designed to win the OSTAR then use that notoriety to enhance the marketability as a Club Med cruiser.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:56   #6

Hello Andreas W. I know that you don't need commercial Master's licence for a recreational boat up to 24 meters (78,7 ft) long. Anything over that I'm not so sure. It depends on national legislation of a sailor's home country though. Thank you for your answer.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thanks for posting that question Henry K. I remember years ago (pre google) reading about her and thanks to the internet have found out some more about her. What a beast of a yacht to single hand and then only to come second in the race.
Cheers
The Long, Troubled, Glamorous Life Of Superyacht Phocea | Pacific Islands Report
Hi Fore and Aft! Sailing is a pretty straightforward business. Even a 236 ft four masted boat. It was probably highly automated (self tacking staysails, bow/stern thrusters etc). What baffles me is, how did he dock that boat single-handed? Or did he receive outside assistance for docking? Best regards.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
If I remember correctly the boat was sponsored by, and named, Club Med. It was designed to win the OSTAR then use that notoriety to enhance the marketability as a Club Med cruiser.
Hello Orion Jim. Thanks. I just learned something new.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:40   #9
s/v Jeune Amelie

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nelson/Marek 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry K View Post
Hi Fore and Aft! Sailing is a pretty straightforward business. Even a 236 ft four masted boat. It was probably highly automated (self tacking staysails, bow/stern thrusters etc). What baffles me is, how did he dock that boat single-handed? Or did he receive outside assistance for docking? Best regards.
Crew is shuttled to the boat via a tender once it reaches harbor to assist in docking
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Crew is shuttled to the boat via a tender once it reaches harbor to assist in docking
Hello DDabs. Thank you for clarifying that for me. But it makes me wonder... what is the largest sailboat that has been docked single-handed?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:34   #11
s/v Jeune Amelie

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nelson/Marek 50

well- I'm not sure, but whatever it is, it's pointless information... even if you bring a boat of that size into port by yourself, it's not like youre going to hop off and tie all 4+ lines... you would have help from whatever marina you were pulling into.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote