Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 20:11   #1

A second opinion would be nice

Hello everyone. Just joined the website. In my younger days I used to race the Prindle 16 catamarans. I enjoyed a lot. Then i bought a ski boat and my cat wasn't used as often. Ended up selling her and have missed sailing ever since then. A few months ago I was on Craigslist looking for a motorcycle when this pretty sailboat popped up. It was close and seemed to be a good price ($1000.00). I figured I should at least take a look at her. Long story short I didn't have $1000.00 but he let me give him three payments of $350.00. I am now the proud owner of a MacGregor 25. it was all there with three sets of sails, a traveler. the jib thing and pretty clean. It's got a swing down keel on a crank handle.I put in a galley, wooden floors and trim, a closet and drawers, a flat screen & DVD player, 110 volt and 12 volt stereo, a 2000 watt inverter and a lot more. rigging this baby is a lot different than my cat but I think I got it. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little to do a lake test run then it's in the ocean to Catalina. Any opinions on the boat?
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Re: A second opinion would be nice

Sounds great. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A few comments:

You've added a lot of weight to it, so when you go to launch it, see if she floats on her lines. If it lists to one side, it will perform differently on its tacks. Personally, I think you might be better off to do a trial sail, maybe up to Cojo and back, before going out to Catalina, just to make sure everything is to your liking and that you didn't stuff up rigging it.

Unless the engine has been run recently, you'll want to trial it at the boat ramp before casting off your lines. ?adequate fuel aboard?

Make sure all the plugs are in and working.

Have you a dinghy for shore trips?

VHf radio?

Opinion of boat: there are some happy MacGregor owners out there.

ann
Old 07-02-2016, 19:20   #4

I almost bought a MacGregor 25 as my first boat back when. Great little sailors and yours for only $1000 sounds like a good deal (the one I looked at 10+ years ago was listed for $4,000 and was far from top shape). Just make sure you reef early as they tend to be squirrely and especially so in a windy situation.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 20:49   #5

Thank you everyone for your expert opinions. I really didn't add that much weight to it and the motor is just an 8 HP outboard that I have tested many times in a barrel of water. I am still concerned about the way i rigged it in my backyard. It's a lot different than my Prindle and I've never sailed a monohull before. i was going to test sail her next week on Silverwood Lake. I'm also concerned about the keel gasket.
Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-02-2016, 20:51   #6

Oh and I forgot. yes I do have a 10 ft inflatible dingy and a good marine radio that I haven't hooked up yet.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:23   #7

Oh and to the person that called my boat a derelict don't you think that is a bit strong and probably not a good choice of words to describe a boat? If you can read I already bought the boat and am kind of proud of it. Wanna race?
Old 08-02-2016, 01:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericksster View Post
Hello everyone. Just joined the website. In my younger days I used to race the Prindle 16 catamarans. I enjoyed a lot. Then i bought a ski boat and my cat wasn't used as often. Ended up selling her and have missed sailing ever since then. A few months ago I was on Craigslist looking for a motorcycle when this pretty sailboat popped up. It was close and seemed to be a good price ($1000.00). I figured I should at least take a look at her. Long story short I didn't have $1000.00 but he let me give him three payments of $350.00. I am now the proud owner of a MacGregor 25. it was all there with three sets of sails, a traveler. the jib thing and pretty clean. It's got a swing down keel on a crank handle.I put in a galley, wooden floors and trim, a closet and drawers, a flat screen & DVD player, 110 volt and 12 volt stereo, a 2000 watt inverter and a lot more. rigging this baby is a lot different than my cat but I think I got it. Just waiting for the weather to warm up a little to do a lake test run then it's in the ocean to Catalina. Any opinions on the boat?
Oh one more thing and I know the answer to this question is well how much experience do you have, whats the weather like and how frickin crazy are you but I was wondering how far out in the ocean anyone would take this boat? A little about me, I took 2nd place in the State Championship on my cat.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40   #9

Boat: Privilege 465 EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thericksster View Post
Oh and to the person that called my boat a derelict don't you think that is a bit strong and probably not a good choice of words to describe a boat? If you can read I already bought the boat and am kind of proud of it. Wanna race?
Nobody called your boat a derelict -- that part below the "__________________" is called a signature and it appears on all of their posts. People put whatever they want below -- some put their boat, some put a silly saying, some people put things people take offense to out of context, etc. Congratulations on the boat!
Cymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:44   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, thericksster and Cymen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:42   #11

Well thanks for clearing that up for me because I did take offense in it. I still don't think it's very commendable but to each their own. Now I have to figure out a signature for me like "Don't get your sails all up in a bunch" or "Sailors do it slow and easy" or "You think it's hard rounding the bottom of South America try getting a good picture on the TV" or
"Monohulls Rock" or "The only problem with onboard living is onboard living". I don't know I'll come up with something witty and not so frickin negative.