Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 19:33   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: A question about varnishes

Having refinished and repaired varnish, poly and other finishes over the years I can tell you that no two varnishes are the same. Add to that aging, UV, moisture, age and all bets are off as to spot matching the existing varnish.
One trick is to get a variety of stains, in small cans, add it to the varnish your using (try using a varnish that isn't already tinted) and do some test patches on a suitable piece of teak, just buy a piece at a marine teak supply. You can do several test patches on the donor piece and then hold it up to the existing. This way you can see how well your matched before actually applying it to the existing piece.
Just remember, you'l probably have to do several coats to match the thickness of the existing piece, so usually go slightly lighter than the current color since multiple coats will darken the shade.
I've fixed ancient furniture this way, just remember, it will also age eventually, most varnishes darken with age unless exposed to UV on a regular basis, in which case it will lighten, so take this into account before doing the repair. If it were me, I'd just sand the whole thing and do it over.
Don't ever put a can of varnish on a plane, it will explode open whether in checked or carry on. It's considered a hazmat material. Hmmm, what shade would your clothes in that bag be with Epifanes Clear Varnish?
Used to be a million mile flyer in my previous life, I've seen many strange things come down the luggage line.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 05:49   #17

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

Dear, Scratched,

If it's just a scratch sand it out (get rid of lose parts), use a non color quality brand , like Epiphanes, small brush for the first layer use 75 % paint with 25 % thinner (grips with the wood) after appr. 8 hours sand and paint repeat until color is as good as the same. Every time you paint it's getting a bit darker.

Happy hobby

Grtz R
robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:01   #18

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Lightly sand rough area. Put a drop of 100% tung oil on your finger and rub it in.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:51   #19

Boat: Island Packet 420

Wow! Lots of responses. First, yes, I can buy quality varnish here, Epihanes is widely available. I hate to buy an entire jar for a rather small scratch- the scratch is about 1.5" long. The reason I can see it, is because of the color difference--- that tung oil might actually do it. But, I will also probably try putting on a little varnish as well. It will go as another winter project for me. Thank you for all your responses.

One thought, the guy who did it feels very guilty. I could probably guilt him into fixing it----- he is a marine professional. But, I hate to do that to him.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 16:58   #20

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I would not take paint in checked baggage and I doubt they will let you. Baggage holds are not pressurized and luggage systems none to gentle. The risk of a quart of varnish sloshing around in your case is hight!
All varnish changes colour over time so even the same make will no longer match.
If it is on a post have you though about a nice decorative whipping to improve the grip? If not what Jim said
Really? Baggage holds are an integral part of the air frame and as such have to be pressurised. Where do you think animals are loaded on board for flights?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 18:25   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Dude, you have a small scratch and nobody in the Marina can give you a tablespoon of varnish? Really?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
varnish