Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-03-2007, 08:17   #46

Boat: 1993 Amel Super Maramu 53'
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor
This is how it all starts! You buy and old boat and fix it then you start to think if only it were 2 feet bigger then I will be happy. So you do it over and over. When you finaly stop you have a big Ketch. I think that I am over wanting a boat that is just 2 feet bigger.! Good luck.
and then you decide you need a pilot house...

Good Luck Drex! She'll look great and she will be grateful for the re-birth!
Old 29-05-2007, 07:49   #47

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Delay

Hello Gentlemen,

It has been a long time since my last post. I apologize for the delay. A lot of work has been done in the meantime. I will post this evening with an update. Also, I've noticed that my pictures are over their allowed bandwidth limit. Who do you use for picture hosting?

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 15:08   #48

Boat: 26' Clipper Marine
Send a message via AIM to Drexel Engineer
Work done through 4/10

Hello Gentlemen,

I t has been a long time, I know. Sorry for the delay. Never fear though; the envy is still in the workings.

The last few weeks I’ve been ending finals at Drexel then a week in sunny Florida. I took some time to drive down to Key West. That is truly a paradise for sailing. I’m sure many of you have been, but for me it was the first. I had a great time admiring all of the boats there.

Anyhow, here is where the Envy stands. I/we gave her a good cleaning. Yet no matter how much we scrub there seems to always be some more dirt somewhere to clean. For the time being I decided to move onto a different project, removing the keel for refinishing.

The cable end of the keel was no problem. Supported the tied end and but the cable. We carefully lowered the keel to the ground. The other end…it wasn’t so easy. The lock bolt came out with a little coercion. The pivot bolt is holding on for dear life. No brute force hammering has worked so far. I suspect the pivot bolt is bent. My idea for removal is to use a rotary tool, the famous Dremel, to grind off the remnants of the bolt. By the way did I mention the head and shank broke off when trying to remove the nut? What are your thoughts on this? I figure I can grind off enough material to just SAFELY clear the hole and drop the keel. I figure a worse case scenario would be a surgical cut of the fiberglass surrounding the pivot bolt, and patch with re-install.

Once again, we are back online here in South Jersey! I will be looking forward to some insight on this problem.

Shawn
Drexel Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 18:29   #49

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Keel bolt

It has been known for some to put a sleeve over the bolt to take up some of the slack in the worn hole. That sleeve may have welded itself to the bolt. And yes it is common for the bolt to be bent. Most go with a larger bolt after a refit. 5/8", If I remember right?

It's also been known to cut the keel trunk to get the bolt out, as you suggested. And then to reinforce the new pivot on the repair.

If you can get one of those diamond coated wire blades and have the room to go up the side between the trunk and keel, you could see-saw the bolt thru on both sides then drop the keel. It's probably seized in the keel iron.
.............................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 00:08   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Hey Drexel,

I have been away for a while - am glad though to see that you are clearly still plugging on..........any date you are aiming (hoping?!) to launch by...........or would disclosing that just be tempting fate?

David
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2007, 00:32   #51

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Hey Drexel,

None of your pictures open now
Why don't you use this site to download your pics to?
No need to put them on another site. Pretty easy to download your pics to here.
cheers
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote