Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 15:54   #31

Boat: 1978 Yorktown 35
Re: A new adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
The genoa should have a grommet hole at the front bottom corner you can attach a shackle to, or in sailor-speak a tack cringle. Like I said, not trying to be elitist, but trying to promote good communication. Sometimes nautical terms, specifically applied to sailing gear, afford a level of precision unavailable in regular language. I don't care if you say 'galley' or 'kitchen', or 'head' or 'toilet', but I think 'tack cringle' is better than 'grommet hole in the front bottom corner of the sail'.
By the way, OP, you said you had the sail hoisted when your dock visitor was showing you about where the sheet lead should fall? How did that work if the sail wasn't attached at the bow?
I tied it with a piece of rope to the bolt at the bottom end of the stanchion, just for the sake of having something there. The foresails are hank on and all the other attachment points were secured correctly. So I got the "shackle attaches to the tack cringle" part but where do I attach the other end? To the stanchion?
Old 27-11-2013, 16:10   #32

Ok, I attached images of the bow. It's kinda messy and don't comment on the anchors, I'm aware they are set-up funny and am changing them soon enough. I'm just a little confused where I attach the tack cringle to.

I called Garhauer and found out what products I need and was quite happy to find out they were not gonna be as expensive as other big brands. With the genoa cars I bought a used schaefer block, I believe it was a 705-92. Will this be ok for my boat? Or should I return it? And will it be ok to have two different cars, since I'll probably get the Garhauer one for the other side.

Btw, just to satisfy my own technological curiosity, why are the cars like the LLC-2 from Garhauer look so different from the ones that look like they are just a car and stand up block put together?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0202.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	71145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0204.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	71146  

Old 27-11-2013, 19:01   #33

Boat: Beneteau First 375

In the first pic I think I see a padeye on deck just behind the headstay (guy wire at the bow). That's probably where to attach the genoa tack. I think what you're calling the stanchion is what most people call the bow pulpit, or bow rail. Stanchions are those individual metal poles supporting the lifelines farther back on the boat.
The Schaefer block should work fine if it fits your track. The LLC-type lead cars from Garhauer are specially made for sails that come down close to the deck, like on racing boats. I doubt that's what you have, so look farther down Garhauer's catalog page for 'track car single blocks'. And no, just to get started, it shouldn't matter if the lead blocks don't match.
Good luck, hope you get to sail the boat soon.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 19:27   #34

Before the yelling starts, I must point out that what your second picture shows is probably not your headstay at all, but a halyard that is attached to the turnbuckle. It shows an unidentifiable wire (or maybe some type of rope) that is NICO PRESSED which is a copper sleeve that is mechanically crushed over the wire. this type of fitting is not suitable for your size boat, as standing rigging. It may be OK as a halyard end, but not as a headstay. If your friends didnt point that out to you, you might look for more knowledgable advice. just my 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 14:54   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Yikes, I completely overlooked that. Hard to make out, but I think you're right. Kind of makes the jib lead problem pretty insignificant.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:17   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

flyinace--what is your hull number?your boat appears to be an olympian 34, not an aft cabin yorktown 35. is a slight not much difference, as hank mckune built them all. the olympian has a bolted on iron keel. the 35 has an encapsulated keel of concrete. the 35 is a center cockpit boat with a small aft cabin.
the olympian is a prettier boat than yorktown, but both are essentially bullet proof hulls. hand laid thick and solid.
with the olympians he also experimented with a honeycomb deck coring method. was unique and better support then the norm.
35 had flush deck and the olympian had a trunk cabin, such as yours...
ihad one of each,olympian 34 and yorktown 42.....knew hank fairly well.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 22:44   #37

Zeehag- the Yorktown you describe sounds like what I've been led to believe are the kit yorktowns. I'll get back to you tho on the hull number
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinace1 View Post
Zeehag- the Yorktown you describe sounds like what I've been led to believe are the kit yorktowns. I'll get back to you tho on the hull number

ok educatiuon time.
yorktown yachts was a company owned by a boat maker who was an olympic gold medalist. his name was hank mckune. he was a character.
before yorktown yachts was created this man was a builder of all kinds and sizes of boats from dinghies to 42 ft ugly cruising boats. bulletproof every single one. he began building boats from molds he built in 1950s.
in 1952, hank mckune comedy hour was first ever comedy talk show on television. when funding ceased he went into the building of dinghies, and produced over 1500 of them.
he is the manufacturer of the one design sloop named victory. they are still raced competitively today.

he proceeded to build champion, all american, and thoroughbred marques before the olympian 34 he made in 1960s.
the olympian mold also was used for the coronado 34 and 30.

EVERY SINGLE BOAT BUILT BY HANK MCKUNE WAS A KIT BOAT.

when you commissioned a boat to be laid up by hank, you also decided at that time if you wanted the ¨factory finish ¨ which was turquoise vinyl upholstery , or leave it to finish by owner, which most were.

so what questions do you have about yorktown yachts..i still have more info if you wish it.
Old 10-12-2013, 23:09   #39

Thanx for the history, it has been very hard to find info online about these boats. The hull number for mine is KTY5A0510878.

So can someone explain the difference between a double block and a fiddle block? And why I would pick one over the other? I've noticed that the double blocks tend to be more expensive, are they better?
Old 10-12-2013, 23:58   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Double blocks are side by side. Fiddle blocks are different sized sheaves one above the other.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:24   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Double blocks are side by side. Fiddle blocks are different sized sheaves one above the other.
Yeah, I got that. Pictures are amazing. Allow me to rephrase for clearer understanding, what is the difference in application and operation between a double block and a fiddle block? The other 2 questions still stand;
Which is better?
Why are double blocks more expensive?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:48   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Fiddles have a flatter profile so are good for things like cunninghams which run close to a mast. They also have less tendency to twist.

The smaller diameter of one sheave means that you have either an over sized or an undersized sheave in the system. Fiddles also need more block-to-block clearance.

I've never really compared the prices.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:18   #43

flyinace--reason there are no words online is because so many folks hated his scam artist guts and hid crews didnt have computers and there are no more yorktowns any more since 1990, when the last one, mine, popped out of the mold.
and i never wrote my wannabe book about him....
kty is yorktown yachts. hank laid up a few at one point in 70s and didnt number them until commissioning. 78 is the commissioning year. hull was probably laid up in 60s-early 70s.
Old 11-12-2013, 18:17   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
kty is yorktown yachts. hank laid up a few at one point in 70s and didnt number them until commissioning. 78 is the commissioning year. hull was probably laid up in 60s-early 70s.
so mine is a Yorktown and not olympian. The Olympians were racers, right? Was the Yorktown built as a coastal cruiser?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:31   #45

his kty was used for champion, thoroughbred olympian and yorktowns, and all american. it is the number he was given when he requested hins for his marques of boat. kty means hank mckune and yes yours is an olympian. olympian by yorktown yachts. sounds fancy. however you have a bullet pruf hull that isnt as ugly as a yorktown, per se.
olympian and yorktowns are go anywhere boats.
only racers hank made were called victory and they are still active in one design racing.
all hanks boats were fast. he a¡was a gold medalist in sailing in olympics, dont know years. he used same rig on all boats, but the last one the particular rig was efficient with was olympian. after them, the boats were too big for that particular rig.