Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 18:55   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: A little help, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Wow! Those are painfully high rates!
Not really. $558/month for a 46 footer? That's cheap. Unless of course it is monthly.

Oops, just reread it. That is expensive.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 18:58   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Not really. $558/month for a 46 footer? That's cheap. Unless of course it is monthly.
Maybe Im miscalculating. Rates are in NZ$/month right?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 22:49   #33

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Weird how this thread got sidetracked. As for original question, OP was not clear on how much sailing experience he has. Maybe a few courses and crewing for casual races would serve him well
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 22:58   #34

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Weird how this thread got sidetracked. As for original question, OP was not clear on how much sailing experience he has. Maybe a few courses and crewing for casual races would serve him well
The original post begins with "I am totally new to all of this". That sounds pretty clear to me that he has zero experience. IMO the responses are very appropriate.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 00:37   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

IF you're going to travel or live aboard, think about room for laundry. And do some sailing. If you're in your 60s, constant line handling on a sailboat could bother any arthritis. I'm 70 and realized about 10 years ago, my sailing days were over. I have a comfortable power boat now and it's much easier on old body parts.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 04:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Don't I know it.

Sadly they are fairly typical rates here in New Zealand and the above are at the lower end of the scale.

Beach front property; why does every one want it?

Did you mean to write “per annum” instead of “per month”?

It appears you can moor for the day rate for a fraction of the price of leasing a slip on a long term basis. That doesn’t quite add up to me?
libspero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 05:38   #37

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by libspero View Post
Did you mean to write “per annum” instead of “per month”?

It appears you can moor for the day rate for a fraction of the price of leasing a slip on a long term basis. That doesn’t quite add up to me?

That's got to be for the whole year. No way that's for a month.
Old 16-07-2018, 05:50   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
That's got to be for the whole year. No way that's for a month.
It says long term lease monthly, but seems crazy high for monthly, maybe the poster will clarify.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:57   #39

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
I've read that slip fees often jump at 40 ft. That was one man's reason to build at 11.5 m/39'-9". Don't know from experience, though.
Why would a marina accept less money for say a 22' boat on a dock while his neighbour on the other side of the finger pays more for his 30' boat? It doesn't make sense! . . . That's why, some marinas might charge for the size of dock you are using & not care whether your boat is 10, 20 or 30 feet.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:20   #40

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Why would a marina accept less money for say a 22' boat on a dock while his neighbour on the other side of the finger pays more for his 30' boat? It doesn't make sense! . . . That's why, some marinas might charge for the size of dock you are using & not care whether your boat is 10, 20 or 30 feet.

Indeed. This is so at my marina. When I first bought my current boat, (27') it was in an open slip at the pier head, no finger pier. Just a couple of pilings and two dock cleats to make fast to. I wanted a finger pier for a more secure tieup and less acrobatics getting on and off the boat, and when a 35' slip came open, I asked for it. Paid the same as all the other 35' slips even though my boat was only 27', because it could have been rented to someone with a 35' boat. Then moved to the next pier where most of my friends were, into a 30' slip and then paid that rate.

Alongside a wharf it would make sense to charge exactly by the foot. For an individual slip, all the space in a slip is used by the boat occupying it, whatever its size may be, so the marina should logically charge what the entire slip is worth. They can't take 4 slips and put 5 boats in them. It is sort of like renting out a house. You charge the same rent whether there is a single 100lb occupant or a family of 6 300lb occupants. Some marinas charge by the foot, anyway, especially those with lots of vacant slips. Mine stays pretty full as it is a very nice marina with low rates in a good neighborhood with very low crime and enjoys plenty of protection from Lake Pontchartrain and it's 26 mile fetch. Nobody sorties or hauls out for a hurricane. We have covered piers with locked gates, and other niceties. With high demand for a slip, they charge for the size boat that a given slip can accept.
Old 16-07-2018, 09:18   #41

Boat: Coast 30

Before any newbie in British Columbia gets 'big boat' Ideas/dreams; They should begin by calling around to local marinas to check availability, and also to attempt to find measuring and pricing information which is seldom published on web sites. One nearby American marina measures the overall length in the air space with lasers. I heard of another who add up the length of the mother ship and the dinghy and charge accordingly/ In some places $8.55 cents per foot per month is considered reasonable.
generally availability is very limited and 'live A board' is even more scarce.

So while a forty to forty six foot vessel to some might feel like a personal ship. $4,104 to $4719 per year plus additional expenses for shore power, parking, and garbage disposal. These have to be considered before all the maintenance costs are factored in. Bigger the boat more heavy duty the fitting and greater the cost.

It is my opinion that there is no Cheap way to get around that final cost of the initial acquisition. Without having a vultures own luck with an estate sale. Widows have been known to sell off a deceased spouse's vessel at a low ball price. but frequently such vessels have already suffered from progressively reduced upkeep before coming available. An old fixer-upper cheap vessel/ or abandoned vessel will cost more in sweat equity and materials than its market value. and IF the 'new owner' does not have the trade skills they are entering a 'fools paradise' from which it is most frequently impossible to convince them other wise. Those who have done it already know it can not based on economics. or If swearing to god and all the saints that they 'lucked out' did not keep accurate accounting records for every nail, screw, bolt or fastener. Gallon of resin, glass, or paint!

Thus the only genuine justification for restoration of an 'old yacht' is general or personal historic significance, Such as owned or built by a passed friend or family member.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 16:28   #42

It's just me right now. Thank you!
BCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 16:30   #43

That is a very good idea, and I am trying to figure out ways I can do that. Thanks!
Old 16-07-2018, 16:35   #44

I think I'm pretty fit, but of course I'm going to be a little older then, so who knows, but do you agree that a larger boat will be easier handling in rough seas? Should I reconsider size in your opinion?
Old 16-07-2018, 16:42   #45

I'm hearing a lot of the same talk. Do you think I may be putting too much into the bigger boat. I really don't know yet, because I'm not near the water right now, so everything I'm thinking is based on what I've read. Thanks!

Tags
lease