Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What should the head's orientation be?
It's gotta be fore and aft. 1 8.33%
Athwartships is fine, and takes less room. 7 58.33%
Who cares? I'm here to sail! 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 10:03   #1

A Head Thread

I'm in love with a hull design, but I'm somewhat less fond of the layout, so I've been doodling with it.

Basically, I don't generally like vee-berths. I *do* like huge heads in the forepeak, especially if there's room for a work bench, sail stowage.... the usual fantasies. What I'm currently doodling is a fore-and-aft stool to port, and a wide/low workbench/sail storage shelf to stbd the same shape as an offset 1.5 berth, possibly with a pipeberth that could fold down over it if the bench were empty. (When has any horizontal surface in a boat stayed empty?)

Anyway, the question is - is the fore-and-aft orientation of the stool that important to you? I personally hate having to hold myself up on the pot when heeled over, but maybe I'm weird.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:12   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
My previous boat was a 41 footer and it had a forward v-head with an aft-facing throne. You needed a seat belt to ride that thing going to weather, although rideability improved once we added 100 meters of chain.

It's a good thing I sold that boat when I did, because had I not done so the plan was to remove the head altogether and change that space into a combination workroom/sail locker. Being a liveaboard, I found having a second head to be an extravagant waste of space that could be better used in any of a dozen different ways.

My current boat has two heads. (This is on a 46-footer, so I can finally afford the room for a second head.) The forward head faces forward, and the day head at the base of the companionway faces away from the hull. It's nice to have an option of which head to use based upon conditions and point of sail.

I've noticed that guests tend not to use the forward head when we're underway, even though they're invited to avail themselves of either facility. I suspect this is because they're more likely to feel queezy going that far forward when the day head is so accessible.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28   #3

Head should be comfortable for starboard tack. It should position such that you can sit and brace yourself on either tack, sitting or standing.

When you gotta go, you gotta go.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A head forward could cause a messy situation, especially after a few zero-G drops. I like seeing heads as far away from the forepeak as is practical.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 13:12   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
One head is just a wee bit aft of center. The other is about 1/4 length from the stern. I would think center of the lentgh would be the most comfotable, but hey....my work shop is there on the port, and the pantry on the strboard, and if we heel more than 5* I am reducing sail somewhere.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 13:13   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I agree. Head in the forepeak is basically unusable at sea. What's wrong with v-berths?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 13:47   #7

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I think it depends to a large extent weather you coastal cruise or do passages, have multi or mono or have a composting toilet or standard marine head.

From a movement point of view, I like everything on board to be at the center and low. Unfortunately one needs to make trade offs.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 14:04   #8

Everything is a Compromise

Amgine,

I understand the attraction of using the entire forepeak to get extra head room, even if you have to make the head a double-duty compartment. I think that's what you're really after, isn't it? Yes, it's tempting.

If the motion forward is so significant going to weather, I think it matters little whether the head is oriented forward or inboard. Sure, it's a bit of a challenge using an inboard-facing head on the weather side, but add the lift and fall, and it makes one want to install a seat belt and don a football helmet before entering. My head is forward the salon, but I prefer the bottom of the companionway for ease of access, in general and as a wet-locker, and reduced motion while underway.

When I get a yacht with two heads, I think I'll convert the forward one to a dedicated shower. Yeah, I know, extravagant use of precious space. Right now, I don't see myself owning a boat over 37', even in retirement, so it may never be.

A head in the port corner of the forepeak, shared with a workbench/pullman to starboard, may be efficient as far as space use, and so satisfying to the claustrophobic, but there are practical concerns as well that must be factored in. Keep at it.

BTW, what size yacht are we talking about here?
Old 03-08-2009, 14:29   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
My previous boat was a 41 footer and it had a forward v-head with an aft-facing throne. You needed a seat belt to ride that thing going to weather, although rideability improved once we added 100 meters of chain.
How exactly did you attach the chain to the head, and what benefit did you see?

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 14:52   #10
CLOD

Boat: none
My head is aft behind the Nav desk and I find this much better than the ones forward of the salon on the boats I sailed before. The throne itself is athwartships mostly but angled about 20 degress forward.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 14:55   #11
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
A head forward could cause a messy situation, especially after a few zero-G drops. I like seeing heads as far away from the forepeak as is practical.
Doubles as a bidet.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 19:03   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Eeeeewwww!!
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42   #13
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Doubles as a bidet.
I know what you mean......i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine lavac.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	9207  
Old 05-08-2009, 06:47   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
...I personally hate having to hold myself up on the pot when heeled over, but maybe I'm weird.
Maybe you should design and patent a gimbaled head. The nature of anti-siphon loops probably already gives you the plumbing flexibility.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01   #15
Eternal Member

My ex would understand Amgine. While crossing between Cabo, and Puerta Vallarta, and a wee bit nasty beam sea. She was tossed from the seat, through the door, and into the salon. There she was on her knees, clothing around her ankle with her face pressed up against the hanging locker door. Stupid me called down to ask if she was okay......i2f

Tags
head, toilet