Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 13:22   #16

Re: A good strong bottom please.....

Cburger - your boat looks lovely, but I am avoiding wood.

Svmariane - It sounds to me like you had a great time in that boat. I am sailing at the other end of Wales (Liverpool bay to Anglesey) and I am hoping some great day sails myself.

Sandbars are an issue.... this is the marina entrance when the tide drops a bit

beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:36   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A good strong bottom please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Owned a 1986 British built Cornish Crabber 24' for about 6years, very beautiful tough boat, bilge keels, spruce spars with tanbark sails, would only draw a little over 2' with the iron centerboard up, gaffed rigged replica of the fishing smacks of days of old, paid about 19k US for her. IMHO much prettier boat that any Westerly I have ever seen, would regularly ground her out on sandbars. Nice for daysailing, long weekends, seaworthy.
All well and good but these would cost £10,000 and upwards more than a Centaur.. if she's up for the difference fine.. if not the Centaurs a great alternative

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 13:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
All well and good but these would cost £10,000 and upwards more than a Centaur.. if she's up for the difference fine.. if not the Centaurs a great alternative
Just to add a bit more clarity... I am after an older, inexpensive boat so that if I mess up in some way, I will not regret having a large monetary investment. This will be my first boat and I expect to make a lot of mistakes with it. If, through some mischance it winds up being a permanent feature on one of the local mud flats I would rather lose a few thousand than £20K. It is a learning boat.
Old 15-01-2014, 14:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bev... Cburgers boat is a plastic fantastic with fake clinker..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 15-01-2014, 14:08   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We have a deep daggerboard, so not much leeway. Tacking angle will largely depend on how strong the wind is - difference between true and apparent wind angle. Usually we tack through about 95 - 100 degrees, but less if there's more breeze.

And yes I do claim better than any of the mono's I've encountered when sailing to windward.

We sail faster and higher. Leave them for dead. Only time mono's keep us honest is if it's very light and shifty.

BTW the cats in the AC were making around 18 knots VMG to windward. Which mono's do better than that?
Come on mate.. stop flexing the Multi muscle... this is a heavily built 26ft late 60's early 70's boat.. put her up against a Prout/Heavenly Twins or even an Iroquois of the same era and she'll perform better 9 times out of 10..
Are you talking production cats vs anything here..? WTF's the AC..?

Old 15-01-2014, 14:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Bev... Cburgers boat is a plastic fantastic with fake clinker..
Well, it looks the part. Sufficiently like wood to put me off, so that design strategy may have backfired!
Old 15-01-2014, 14:41   #22

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Don't ignore Sadler 26 & 29 and Hunter Delta & Horizon models - British Hunter that is :-) The Hunter Delta 25 in particular is quite inexpensive and sails closer to the wind than most.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 14:44   #23

Geoff - I will add those to my list. Thank you.

I have heard of the Sadlers, but I know little of British Hunter other than they are not "Hunter"
Old 15-01-2014, 14:48   #24

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Looking at the marina entrance it is clear to me that Beverley needs a special boat that has a good understanding of taking the ground and the Westerly will do that. If I were sailing out of that situation I would consider a 26 ft dragon fly tri. That is one boat I have owned that can handle shallow water-win the around England race and literally fly to weather.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 15:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

£17,500+... and double berth charges.. what is ideal for some is not always affordable for others... we're talking minimum possible budget safe sailing here.. if Bev's into cheaper for day sailing and is happy with 4'9" headroom I'd recommend the Hurley 22.. sailed one non-stop from Brixham, UK to Viveiro, N Spain in December.. and a Corribee from Poole, UK to Baiona, N Spain.. also non stop.. both carried on down to Portugal.
Pick a good one up for £3,000.. or a Corribee for a similar price.. the H22 is the better boat tho'..

Old 15-01-2014, 15:48   #26

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

If price and good day sailing are the main criteria. ODay 19 2+2 centerboard and kick up rudder draws very little water all FG construction. A lot of these were built in US basically on Rhodes 19 hull. I don't know if they are available in Beverley's back yard. Great day sailor with large self bailing cockpit and a few births in enclosed low cabin. I know they will easily out sail a Westerly on all points of sail( our race fleet had both back in the 70"s) and are great fun for day sailing either beer and sandwich or more serious sailing. This was the first boat our family of four did our first family cruise on.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease