Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2014, 19:53   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: A Dirty Topic.... Toilet Paper! What to do with it?

A standard head like the Jabsco is supposed to be able to handle any normal tp. However, I did once have to go over the side and clear a bunch of impacted tp that built up behind the through hull. Now it gets bagged.
Old 23-05-2014, 20:14   #32

I use a 4x4 rule.

Four squares at a time. If you get to 4 times, flush.

I have never a a plugged manual head. An electric plugged once; right in the bowl.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 20:24   #33

Boat: Various

I'll use a macerator, treat, hold or anything else but wiping and bagging is not going to happen.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 21:01   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I am sensitive to the problems of the collection of toilet paper bits in an enclosed area such as I've seen in Hopetown Harbor in the Abacos. I also agree with Boatman's problem with toilet paper in Mediterranean harbors, but I'm not ready to agree that the chemical composition of toilet paper is an environmental concern in the open ocean. Toilet paper is almost all cellulose and calcium carbonate used as a binding agent for these fibers. These components are the same as what we might find in the composition of plant material an sea shells. The issue is a question of unsightliness, but not environmental harm, just as a collection of broken glass might be unsightly, but not environmentally harmful as a collection of silicon dioxide.

I would also dispute the statement that, "you are not living in a sewer system". In reallity we are, and always through the evolution of life, living in a sewer system. The recycling of organic waste is not outside the normal environs of all organisms. Our best health is to be able to allow for the natural decomposition and recycling of these nutrients without completing a cycle of pathogens in our food and drinking water, but the presence of urine and feces in our environment is not to be thought of as pollution. Any unsightly concentration of these wastes should be avoided, as well as contamination of food and water, but organic wastes are natuarally with us for all time and not unnatural or a pollution!
Cappy F, while I agree with you entirely, I fear that your arguments will fall on deaf ears. Few are rational about "potty subjects", and I have personally given up talking about the subject. Perhaps overly severe toilet training is to blame, I dunno!

The lack of logic is demonstrated by the absolute belief by some that use of "regular" TP will inevitably cause clogging in a marine head. This is despite the reports of many of us who have used such stuff for decades of full time usage without problems. Go figger!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 24-05-2014, 01:09   #35

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Get a Lavac and use whatever toilet paper you want.
If I ever bought a boat with another toilet, first job would be to replace it with a Lavac!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 02:54   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The secret is all in the Plumbing!

If really concerned and you wish to avoid TP altogether......

I am sure West Marine and other retailers are willing to sell you a PEK....

Permanent Enema Kit.

Seriously I am with Jim.....
Too much ado about do-do
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 03:24   #37

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

The biggest problem with clogs is usually not a direct overboard flush, it's the twisted path through the holding tanks. Some charter companies discourage and even prevent the use of holding tanks for this reason. Think of that when swimming near large mooring fields in paradise.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 05:15   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I am sensitive to the problems of the collection of toilet paper bits in an enclosed area such as I've seen in Hopetown Harbor in the Abacos. I also agree with Boatman's problem with toilet paper in Mediterranean harbors, but I'm not ready to agree that the chemical composition of toilet paper is an environmental concern in the open ocean. Toilet paper is almost all cellulose and calcium carbonate used as a binding agent for these fibers. These components are the same as what we might find in the composition of plant material an sea shells. The issue is a question of unsightliness, but not environmental harm, just as a collection of broken glass might be unsightly, but not environmentally harmful as a collection of silicon dioxide.

I would also dispute the statement that, "you are not living in a sewer system". In reallity we are, and always through the evolution of life, living in a sewer system. The recycling of organic waste is not outside the normal environs of all organisms. Our best health is to be able to allow for the natural decomposition and recycling of these nutrients without completing a cycle of pathogens in our food and drinking water, but the presence of urine and feces in our environment is not to be thought of as pollution. Any unsightly concentration of these wastes should be avoided, as well as contamination of food and water, but organic wastes are natuarally with us for all time and not unnatural or a pollution!
Not to mention all the fish, porpoises, turtles, whales, crabs, seals, lobsters, sea birds, etc doing their business right in the water. They are living things. We are living things. When living things gotta go, they gotta go. The fact that we humans use tp, well I'm glad of that, yeah. Ovbd disch of tp at sea really is not some kind of environmental disaster. The only reason it gets bagged on my boat is that once I did have to clear a clogged discharge even though this normally isn't supposed to happen.
Old 24-05-2014, 06:42   #39

Those floating white squares are almost certainly not standard toilet paper as it dissolves in minutes. Probably paper towel, wipes, or other items designed and advertised not to dissolve.

The environmental argument for bagging instead of flushing TP is upside down. As mentioned, TP is a benign material that breaks down quickly and harmlessly.

A plastic bag is not environmentally benign. It is CO2 intensive to make, sell, transport to the user and then to disposal. It never breaks down. And municipal solid waste disposal facilities where the bag goes are not designed for sewage. Ground water contamination is an issue (although fortunately few people send their used TP to the dump).

Your tendency to get TP clogs depends on your head design more than anything else. I expect that my previous Lavac or my current head (Raritan Elegance) could swallow half a roll of TP without much complaint. Neither has ever clogged.

My problem with guests is not TP but their shoreside habit of putting paper towels, kleenex, wipes (which I don't allow on the boat for this reason) and bits of plastic packaging down the head.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 12:17   #40

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We only have a 20 gallon tank so we do not flush TP because it adds bulk and takes more water to dispose of properly. This means we can go two weeks between pump outs rather than one week.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 13:24   #41

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll use a macerator, treat, hold or anything else but wiping and bagging is not going to happen.
Ditto. Just use more water. If you can see anything more than a few wispy strands of TP in your tank, then you are not using enough water, or the wrong kind of TP.

If your boat is in motion at all, it will stir the pot more than enough to keep everything clear.

If you have particularly narrow, twisty lines then additional steps could include using small bits at a time, flushing more frequently if you are a heavy user (some people have less regular digestive systems), and most importantly use PLENTY OF WATER.

Due to my particular digestive difficulties, wiping and bagging is impossible. It took me 40 years to realize that not everyone is like me - I could never understand how anyone could keep around their used TP, even in a baggy.

When I am on board someone else's boat (or their basement potty) I simply tell them bagging is not going to be an option, and we all deal with it. Chemicals/enzymes might help too, I don't know. I use them to help control odor and have never had a problem.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 14:22   #42

Boat: Various

Wifey B: That brings a land and water question. Just general world. Why aren't bidet's used more? It seems they're primarily in European hotels and extravagant homes, but they aren't all that expensive. Many different types. I mean if we're going to discuss cleaning one's butt we might as well go all the way. hehe.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 14:37   #43

What is really sad , less than ten percent of toilet paper is recycled !
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 15:22   #44

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
pirate Re: A Dirty Topic.... Toilet Paper! What to do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We only have a 20 gallon tank so we do not flush TP because it adds bulk and takes more water to dispose of properly. This means we can go two weeks between pump outs rather than one week.
Here here, my tank is only 16 gal. I am not running a cruise ship and I am the chief plumber. After clearing two blockages in two days that was it! Baby wipes, bags, and good tp. I also agree with Boatman, crabs will eat poop but not paper. Very few pump outs where I cruise. It is a good thing to know that your sitting next to a bag of used tp! It extends the time between pump outs.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 15:28   #45

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

As to dirty butts, a clean butt is a happy butt! We need to clamp down on dirty butts and flushing tp.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil