Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 16:45   #106
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: A Dirty Topic.... Toilet Paper! What to do with it?

105 posts over a non-problem. If I ever clog a head, or holding tank, I'll worry about it.
Old 11-06-2014, 17:11   #107
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Force-
Look at it this way. As sparrowhawk said, anaerobic, aerobic...that's the reason why a nice beach has no stink, but the mud exposed at low tide (and full of anaerobic bacteria) stinks like rotten eggs.
Desiccating toilet =dry =nonstinky bacteria.

Drive past the mudflats at low tide, your wife will grasp it at once.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 17:28   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Force-
Look at it this way. As sparrowhawk said, anaerobic, aerobic...that's the reason why a nice beach has no stink............
Hellosailor, Please stop these silly analogies and childish lessons. I've taken graduate level courses specializing in the aerobic and anaerobic processes of sewage treatment and have been an instructor of the processes of anerobic and aerobic respiration. It is true, as I have said, that my wife will need direct experience with a composting head in order to develop a positive opinion, but she is not a participant on this forum. If you read the posts above you will see that I do not need to be convinced of the value or nature of a composting head. Please continue to support composting, but no more, "Force- Look at it this way."

Excuse my frustration,- I can't be the first husband to have an extensive knowledge of a subject and yet not be able to discuss it with with calm reason with his wife!
Old 11-06-2014, 17:42   #109

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

There are aspects of composting heads that no one has mentioned: we could remove three seacocks and all the hoses. The hoses and valves take up a lot of space that could be used for storage.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 18:23   #110

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
There are aspects of composting heads that no one has mentioned: we could remove three seacocks and all the hoses. The hoses and valves take up a lot of space that could be used for storage.

We were fully expecting to go this route, but on the vessel we ended up purchasing, it would require liberal use of the sawz all and some extensive carpentry. The current head is at about a 45 angle - the builder split the difference on the fore/aft vs. port/starboard debate.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 13:20   #111
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post

When you need to "deposit solids", you urinate first and let that drain, then you open the large trap door and do your business. It usually works out just fine unless you are having a bad gut day. But even so, some moisture isn't a problem but a LOT of moisture is. Add desiccating material and don't let it get too full!

About disposal....
Well, eventually you change out the contents of the main bowl. It is just a bucket and the contents should be pretty dry if properly monitored. You can have two buckets and change them out, allowing one to break down for a while, or you can empty the contents off-shore, or bag it and throw it away. My husband handles this and I am thankful <3 This IS a consideration, which I consider on par with bagging baby diapers and such.
Thanks for the "real life" hot chili peppar explanation..... Never thought about Montezuma's composting inhibitor factor.
It seems these Mummy Heads probably don't lend themselves to being a good idea on a party boat

I also wonder about myself in the morning.... Throned in a Plato-like stupor... contemplating the meaning of life and last night's dreams...... Will i remember that my body functions require segregation?

At the moment I am still Machiavellian about direct discharge... ie.. "The end justifies the means"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:28   #112

Boat: Leopard 40

What can I say? I work in Technical Support. I can write a "how to..." guide on a few subjects
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:46   #113
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
If it didn't enter your mouth, it doesn't enter the head.
i'm supposed to eat the toilet paper before i use it? that sounds kinda strange to me
Old 12-06-2014, 15:06   #114

Boat: sabre 28

One of the pop up ads for this thread was about scented toilet paper. That got me to wondering why anyone would buy scented toilet paper. Eventually it ends up getting scented anyway...

Another twisted mind at work
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 19:37   #115
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
What can I say? I work in Technical Support. I can write a "how to..." guide on a few subjects
LOL...). would be forever in your debt.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 20:57   #116

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
One of the pop up ads for this thread was about scented toilet paper. That got me to wondering why anyone would buy scented toilet paper. Eventually it ends up getting scented anyway...

Another twisted mind at work
Dyed and scented toilet paper have been known to cause people lots of problems over the years. A small minority of people but still an unnecessary number. Now I have allergies so against scents in general.

As to toilets we have Headhunter units and for sewage we have Tidal Wave by Headhunter.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil