Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 15:19   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: A $35 000 coastal or $175 000 world cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I got the impression that you want a safe boat (= not a coastal boat) when you start cruising globally one day. I would put more emphasis on buying a well built cruising oriented boat, instead using the size of the boat as a measure stick. The size of the boat depends more on your budget and your personal needs and preferences. If you are planning to sail right away in places like Bay of Biscay (where you may meet storms that you can not escape to the nearest harbour), maybe already your first boat should be blue ocean capable. That is, if you have safety seaworthiness high on your priority list.

You should not spend your whole budget on buying the boat. Save large part of the budget for all kind of upgrades, surprises and maintenance.

Your "important" list contains criteria that depend mostly on your personal preferences. You know best what kind of properties you need.

I think you could be ok also in an 80's or 90's boat. If some of the electronic equipment are outdated, it is not too expensive to upgrade them.

If (after thinking and discussing this topic for a while) you feel that you know what kind of a boat you want, and you happy either to increase the budget or to keep the size of the boat small enough, I think it is possible to buy pretty much your ideal boat at the first try (at least I did that). If you are uncertain of what kind of a boat you should buy, maybe you could start by testing some boats by renting them.
A "safe boat = not a coastal boat" ???

Seriously ??
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 17:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
forget an aft owner's cabin. Concentrate on what's important: safety, seaworthiness, strength, and excellent sailing qualities.
Paul
Can't you have both? An aft cabin is on my checklist. Want to go cruising (liveaboard) not racing.
Gazzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 17:39   #33

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lahr View Post
If you go small and cheap first you will learn a lot and be able to make a much better choice on the next boat-- and confirm that your basic plan still looks good before the next larger expense

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm on the same page as Jack Lahr. Just bought a Tartan 3000. Will consider a larger vessel and investment in due time.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 22:13   #34

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
A "safe boat = not a coastal boat" ???

Seriously ??
The OP presented "coastal" and "world cruiser" as the opposite ends of the scale, and "world cruiser" as the option to choose when "coastal" in not enough. I assumed that safety was one of the key criteria behind this classification. Of course coastal cruisers can be safe for coastal cruising, and you could have boats that are optimized for coastal cruising (e.g. two keels, shallow draught) but that are very safe also in blue waters. But in this context I thus assumed "coastal" to refer to a boat whose safety, strength, stability and other requirements do not meet the requirements of "world cruising".
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 22:33   #35

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

A few ideas for you two to consider.

1. On a coastal cruiser you will cut your teeth on how to really sail, navigate, and understand what it takes to keep a boat up maintenance wise.
2. You don't need much in the way of electronics for coastal work. A handheld GPS, charts, and hand held radio will be enough.
3. Many small coastal cruisers can get buy with just an outboard motor and it is more than adequate for the work.
4. You will get to experience the great adventure. Learn how to cook, clean dishes, wash bodies, toilet stuff, rolly anchorages....

with that experience on a small boat for a season or two than you can make a much better decision on what you are looking for...and if you want to jump to world cruiser status.

Have you looked at the small Corsair F27 or F31's? They are great boats and can be kept on a trailer when not in use. Many Youtube video in the Scandinavian Region on these multihulls.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 23:03   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzza View Post
Can't you have both? An aft cabin is on my checklist. Want to go cruising (liveaboard) not racing.
Forget the Contessa. I was wrong. What you should get is an Amel Super Maramu 52 with air conditioning and four television sets. And an owner's bed with access from both sides.

You'll have a blast.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 23:48   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the OP:

Buy the best example of the smallest boat you and the girlfriend can cope with for a starter vessel. See what you can do with it. Learn what works for you, how to cope with mal de mer. You can have a heap of fun on a boat under 30 ft. After a year or two of coastal cruising, have a think about things, your at-the-time budget, and what you guys want for the future. You as yet have little idea what you will learn in that beginning time, and I am sorry I don't have words enough to adequately portray it, but it will possibly be the steepest learning curve of your lives! The advantages of starting small and simple include learning at an easier rater than you would do with a more complex boat, and ease of re-sale, but what it really does is get you in there, as soon as possible after the thaw. In case you wonder why I am touting so small, we knew David and Zsa zsa when they were circumnavigating in their 26 footer; we've known others who have circumnavigated in smaller boats than theirs; and we made a round trip from San Francisco to Hawaii in a 30 footer. At no time was I worried for safety. It is that with small boats, you shorten sail, and you make it safe. Progress may be slow, but keeping you and the boat together to continue on is extremely do-able, once you've prepared for difficult weather...and temperatures.

Ann
Old 19-02-2016, 00:40   #38

Boat: 50 Bene

Hey Nellos,

As someone who went through this very process recently I feel your pain!?! My advice, go get on these boats small and large. Decide what you really want. I can tell you this, things will be more expensive than you budget for. Our first boat was a well equipped 10 yr old 50 ft beauty. We are about a year and a half in and couldn't be happier. The larger boat is definitely more expensive but it our home for six months out of the year and the extra space is worth it's weight in gold. We had specific requirements and didn't want to feel like we were camping on the boat. We have air conditioning, heat, lots of storage, a separate shower, a large generator, water maker etc etc. A lot of folks on here would say these conveniences are not needed but even though we don't use them a lot it is nice to know they are available. I feel that our boat is safe, well maintained and for what we do most of time it is perfect. Did I mention that this is our first boat. We went back and forth on the topic of starting small and moving up, but at the end of the day we decided not to bother with the smaller starter boat and are very happy with our decision. Again! A larger boat will be more expensive in every way, from a bottom job(see previous posts regarding this as it is still ongoing) to refinishing the toe rail, to berthing. But at the end of the day this is the boat we wanted and despite the added cost we have zero buyers remorse. there is a ton of great info here on the forum just take it with a grain of salt. At the end of the day it is your decision. You will have to live with it regardless of which route you choose. We knew going in it will be a financial negative in books, but the investment in memories and enjoyment cannot be totaled in a column. If you want to sail the world then buy a boat that will do just that.

Cheers
Will
Old 19-02-2016, 01:45   #39

It would be nice if the OP filled in some gaps....

Here is another dreaming thread by the OP

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sd-153662.html

At least they seem to have dropped the 2 dogs requirement
Old 19-02-2016, 06:00   #40

Statistically 90% of all major boating accidents happen within the sight of land. So may be "coastal" vs. "blue water" dichotomy is somewhat misplaced. After all when owners equip their boats for an offshore they basically invest a heap of $$ into avoiding a slight possibility of something X wrong happening to their boat yet could be woefully under prepared for a greater chance of that "something wrong" happening within the sight of land.

My own, albeit limited experience, of sailing offshore confirms that. Provided adequate weather information and analysis, 3 trips from FL to MA had less "moments" (in a total of about 20 days worth of sailing) than a day passage along Maine coast or some such.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 07:04   #41

Boat: ODay 322

Buy a or Swan. The biggest you can afford in good condition
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 08:46   #42

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Buy a boat that you can use now. Buy the smallest, least expensive, quality-constructed boat that will fit your needs. Boatyards around the world are planted with the dying flowers of sailors' unfulfilled dreams. Good luck and safe sailing fellow Vikings!
Old 19-02-2016, 13:44   #43
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Go small but not too small.

You need large for storage.
You need large for speed.
You need small for ease of control and cost.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 22:10   #44

Plenty of well equipped Tartan 40's on the market. Refit to your hearts content and still have money leftover. They will take you anywhere you need to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:42   #45

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Buy a boat that you can use now. Buy the smallest, least expensive, quality-constructed boat that will fit your needs. Boatyards around the world are planted with the dying flowers of sailors' unfulfilled dreams. Good luck and safe sailing fellow Vikings!
This is solid advice. I recently purchased a Tartan 30 on this basis. She's over 30 years old, solid with a good engine and the price was fair. May be all the boat I'll ever need.

Good luck in your selection
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser