Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2009, 18:51   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
'69 Coronado 25 Capacity

Hi All,

Does anyone know the capacity of a Coronado 25? Our boat has no placard stating capacity and we don't want to get in trouble with the CG while we are watching fireworks on the water this 4th of July. I've searched high and low in the internet and can't find anything, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate
KateSCoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:09   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Do you mean the amount of people on board? If so, I am not sure what it is but I do know that you should have a floatation device for every man woman and child on board. Just be sensible, she supposedly sleeps five, I personally wouldn't have more than seven onboard myself, too many and your 'crew' will just get in the way.
Have a great 4th of July.....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You should not have a problem. Most boats big enough don't need a placard and if you overload the boat you won't be able to fit all the people aboard.

If you as a reasonable person think the boat is overloaded then don't leave the dock. It's probably the right measure for a boat like this. For me after 6 I get jumpy and I know we could easily carry 20 provided they all pee before they board. The other realities of load become more apparent. It's not like the small John Boat with 10 people that sinks from a 6 inch wave because they had a stern anchor out.

The current license system makes a big deal about 3 things. Drinking, capacity, and the "dumb stuff". Like venting a gasoline engine bilge before you turn the key.

These are what kill the most boaters each year. If you even know this stuff you are so far ahead of the curve. We all can be smarter than we are now. We can all learn more. With this in mind boating is a very safe activity. You don't require a capacity plate because the basic rules of thumb don't work on a boat this size but there still are limits.

"Being drunk and stupid is no way to go through life." - from the movie Animal House.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 19:30   #4

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
A couple of years back a rental houseboat on a lake in B.C. was overloaded with partiers,boat flipped,one person lost their life.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45   #5

Boat: Coronado 25
Thanks for the advice!

Both the captian and I plan to stay sober and we have plenty of PFDs for everyone that is coming, so it looks like we are in the clear. We only plan on having 7-8 people (including us) aboard and we won't be under sail. Usually we only allow 4-5 total when under sail because of the space issue.

Yeah the drinking thing is the most important in my opinion- Last year we were aboard a friends boat coming back from Seafair in Lake Washington and got pulled over by the Mercer Island water cops. They subjected our captian (who had NO drinks all day) to a sobriety test. Our boat was full racous 20-somethings so I think they thought we were a sure bet. After the captian took the breathalyser test, they just turned around and told us gruffly to "get out of here"...I think they were mad they didn't get us They wouldn't even tell us what he blew!

I don't blame them for pulling us over of course, I am glad they are doing thier jobs to keep us safe from drunk drivers, it was pretty entertaining though...
KateSCoble is offline   Reply With Quote