Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2009, 19:48   #16

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
They are structurally very weak. There is a thread on Sailing Anarchy about how bad they are.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 11:51   #17

Mac 65

Great boat....no stuctural flaws to date and have sailed the hell out of it! LOVE the boat. Easy to maintain, work on and sail. I currently co-own a late production model with the engine in the rear compartment and believe that is the only way to go, if you have a choice. Fast in all directions, points well and, if the wind dies, the engine gets you there beautifully.
Independence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 14:55   #18

I almost bought one. I had a neighbor on the chesapeake with one and I was always jealous of how far he could go in a weekend. The speed can get you out of trouble if you're smart. They do take up a lot of dock though. You'll want the pilothouse. Don't expect it to weather hurricanes, and keep in mind it's kind of a race boat. Not a lot of overbuilding. It's a lot of go fast for the money.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 20:30   #19

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
sounds like a fun boat. spartan interior though on the ones on Yachtworld.com

another one is on there again for a good price
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:32   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Have sailed one in Holland a few years ago.

Cheaply built…most fittings seemed undersized with poor structural backing and everything gave me the impression of being targeted for a novice who doesn’t know any better but wants the biggest boat in their marina at the cheapest price…..Run away!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 15:14   #21

Boat: MacGregor65- s/vSunsets
So far I'm a Fan.

We've had our Mac65 since 2002. We're quite happy with her. INDEPENDENCE is correct-- the engine in the aft cabin is sweet and the only way to go if you can. We have the pilot house which is very nice. I can sit up there, see what's going on and navigate my heart out. Some of the "ammeneties" that I wish she had: a bow thruster, electric winches, mainsail reefing from the cockpit, and a full enclosed cockpit (Impossible to fix, says my DH, because of the low boom and the traveller located in the middle of the cockpit. Of course, I say that could certainly be fixed with lots of money. DH does not like that.)

She has always handled quite nicely in the Chesapeake, which is where we sail. The boat has been through the Panama Canal, to Bermuda, New England, the Caribbean and Europe with her prior owner and we are taking her to the Virgin Islands this fall. It will be our first off-shore passage with her so I can tell you more how she handles out there after we arrive in mid-November. As far as I know, no structural problems, but will know better after the insurance survey next month. I'll report back.

When she was new back in the early 90s she only cost $250k fully loaded, so I guess that's partly why the boats are so inexpensive at resale-- that and the fact that all boats are depreciating assets. JZK is right-- she really is a stretched out 45 as far as living conditions are concerned.
s/v Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 21:49   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I came real close to buying Sceptre, the boat formerly known as "Joss" and a legendary M65. Somebody beat me to her though.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 23:17   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Run for the hills. Carl Schumacher described to me his experience on one years ago. He said it flexed like crazy. It's an amazingly under built boat.

Get a well designed boat instead

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 23:45   #24

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Interesting to note that the original model had a SA/D ration of 34.
The short mast/shoal draft version was down to 25 and the pilothouse version was 21.

Sailboatdata.com indicates in the notes that the Pilothouse version was built a lot beefier than the first two models and was oriented towards cruising. Data on the weights of the 3 models supports this.

It may be that the people who were unimpressed had experiences with the lighter racing models, and those who were impressed had experiences with the pilothouse/cruising model.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 21:46   #25

There is another one for sale....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I came real close to buying Sceptre, the boat formerly known as "Joss" and a legendary M65. Somebody beat me to her though.

She's on the docks at the marina in Everett WA.

She looks very pretty staring at her from the floating dock. The outside has been glossied and tarted up. Ohhh she's a pretty boat.

We were looking for boats - bought one Aug 27 - but before we found the one we have now, I was standing next to this MacGregor 65 on the dock.

the spousal unit would not let me call the broker and go on board for a look.

He put the proverbial foot down and said "noooooo!!!!!!!"

At least I got close to one.

Maybe you should go take a look see....
Old 19-09-2010, 21:53   #26

$89K

1984 Macgregor Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

someone should buy her. the price! omg

and she looks nice on the outside in person and actually better than the photos - a rare thing. someone please buy her and take me as crew on a day trip. she must surely fly.
Old 20-09-2010, 07:32   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
I don't know if that's Joss, renamed Sceptre, renamed Longfellow or not. If she has a sugar scoop and a fin keel with bulb, it's Joss, who held the Newport to Ensenada record for over 30 years until a 100' Maxi broke it in '09 (I think). I haven't been down to see this one....
Old 20-09-2010, 07:55   #28
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
too much plastic on this boat. also take a look under the mast .. there's some kind of grid there and i think it may be metal which can be corroded. this is a racing boat and not a cruiser.
Old 20-09-2010, 17:35   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I don't know if that's Joss, renamed Sceptre, renamed Longfellow or not. If she has a sugar scoop and a fin keel with bulb, it's Joss, who held the Newport to Ensenada record for over 30 years until a 100' Maxi broke it in '09 (I think). I haven't been down to see this one....
I thought the MacG65's were introduced in the mid-80's?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 18:33   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah, I think they were. Matter of fact, I think "Joss" set the record in 84 or 85, not sure which. I know it stood until recently.

Tags
macgregor