Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 00:46   #1

44ft Herreshoff

Another ferro boat. This one's at auction. Looks like a nice vessel.
Professional built, too.
44' Herreshoff - Full Keel Cutter
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 07:14   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 44ft Herreshoff

Well...Every boat has value. Depends what you want to do with it and what shape it's in. The pictures make it look decent. If you could get it cheap, it might fulfill your needs.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 12:35   #3

Being a landlubber with a dream, I really haven't any idea what a ferro cement boat is like. It seems that every hull composition has it's pros and cons, and there is really no consensus on which is really better than any other.
I really like the Penobscot Quoddy I posted about a while back, and it's a 'compsite' hull. Further research on it revealed that it is a wood boat, but each piece is encased in epoxy and vexar (whatever THAT is). 1975 Penobscot 32 Quoddy Pilot Sloop Boat for Sale (26593) in Jefferson County, WA - Specs and Photos - POP Yachts

Then, there's the Formosa's I've been seeing, but it seems they all have leaky coach houses (still haven't figured out why it's a coach house, not a cabin), plus there's the fiberglas problem of the dreaded blistering-aka the pox.

The ferro boats seem to go for less money, and look quite well done, except some of the home-builts done by amateur methods.

Steel rusts, and worse, often from the inside out. But, they are tough, easy to repair, have the advantage of not having deck hardware putting holes in it to leak. Just a constant grind n paint program.

Aluminum is hard to paint, suffers from electrolysis with other metals, galvanic action, and is spendy to repair and build.

Wood rots, and from what I can gather, they all leak. But it's easy to repair, and is esthetically classic and pleasing.

So, really, I got no clue as to what could be called the 'best' hull material.

The skipper of the Kia Ora says he prefers ferro-cement, and makes a decent case for it.
Brent Swain, swears by steel, and makes an excellent case for steel (which I kind of concur with).

Fiberglass seems to be the most common today, but doesn't take impact very well, and is somewhat noxious to fix.

Wood boat aficionados swear their boats are more 'alive' than the others.

So, for a noob like me, it's all confusing!!
Old 20-07-2013, 14:02   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well if you are really serious about the lifestyle and could get that for $5K-$10K, why not. Just get on it and either go or liveaboard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:03   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Like my way to see if things work or not is I get one and try it. I say same to anybody in love with ferro-cement (or any other) construction method. If you think wood is great, get a wooden boat and sail her (or live aboard one)!

I always thought Herreshoff (s?) designed such pretty, classic boats. This one looks like an extended Endurance ...

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 16:14   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Hmmm, interesting boat. Redwood decks unusual. Rot resistant wood, but soft. Interior appears to have had pains taken to make it nice. Hull looks to be in good shape cosmetically. But,--ferro can have bad mesh matrix, and not show it. Ballast keel can be a real soup of iron, steel, lead, concrete, epoxy, you name it, it can be there. Which is why ferro rarely hold good market price and acceptance. But like Celestialsailor says, if the price is right,----??
Old 20-07-2013, 16:23   #7

The Formosas and CTs are fiberglass, which is a lot more common for boat construction - easier for you to learn and find expertise. They don't all leak. Avoid the Volvo Penta engine - go for the Perkins.

You may want to start with a more common boat - a Hunter or Catalina. Lots to learn.

Enjoy the process......
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 17:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailPenelope View Post
The Formosas and CTs are fiberglass, which is a lot more common for boat construction - easier for you to learn and find expertise. They don't all leak. Avoid the Volvo Penta engine - go for the Perkins.

You may want to start with a more common boat - a Hunter or Catalina. Lots to learn.

Enjoy the process......
Funny you mention the Perkins.
I have an 8Kw generator on the truck (provides me with civilization where'er I go) which is way cheaper than running the big Cummins 530hp truck engine to keep warm/cool. The Cummins drinks about 1.5gl per hour at idle. The Perkins only 1.5gl in 10-12 hrs.
I have 24,000 hours on the Perkins. I only yesterday had to replace the starter. Otherwise, it's only required general maintenance such as oil/filters/an occasional fan belt. I use a full synthetic oil, and corresponding filter for it (Amsoil). I had to replace the genset power head, a Marathon pancake unit. I found one for $530 instead of $1500. The attached Perkins is running like a watch.