Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2021, 12:55   #16

Re: 34 / 35 ft Sailboat for reseach

Thanks for all the advice. The two boats that I was interested had offers on and was subsequently sold.

Would a Warram Tiki 30 be up for the job?

Here is a link

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-yachts-s...00911886692709

I like the idea that it doesn't heel that much - (multihull). But if things get a bit rough, I for some reason prefer a monohull...
Jaco Versfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 13:01   #17

Jaco, Wharram catamarans also come with designer-certified nude-ladies-credits.
https://www.wharram.com/jims-column/...ilm-interviews
Very few other boats have this.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 15:09   #18

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I did a LOT of work In bioacoustics. I had a 31’ Bertram with new diesels and no flybridge. Two 10” searchlight sonars. Full passive hydrophone listening and recording equipment. Waterfall acoustic analyzer.
The equipment budget was over $100,000.
That was for research inside Chesapeake Bay.
Off shore you need a larger, more stable and quiet hull with an A frame on the stern. Please take a look at research boats operated by universities.
Serious research is serious money. But...
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 01:10   #19

Wow, what I would do for a research budget like that!

However, in South Africa:

"Although South Africa has made progress in reducing poverty since 1994, the trajectory of poverty reduction was reversed between 2011 and 2015, threatening to erode some of the gains made since 1994. Approximately 55.5 percent (30.3 million people) of the population is living in poverty at the national upper poverty line (~ZAR992) while a total of 13.8 million people (25 percent) are experiencing food poverty. Similarly, poverty measured at the international poverty lines of $1.90 and $3.20 per person per day (2011 PPP) is estimated at 18.9 percent and 37.6 percent in 2014/15, up from 16.6 percent and 35.9 percent in 2010/11, respectively."

Quoted from the Internet.

I am therefore extremely grateful for any funding that I receive, especially from our Government - NRF (equivalent to the US NSF).

I recently started in the field of acoustics - 3 years ago - when I changed University.

We are a small team - myself, 1 or 2 PhDs and 1 or 2 Masters students. We had funding for one Postdoc for the previous two years (2019 - 2020).

Most of my postgrad students come from Africa, mostly from Nigeria and Cameroon. For me it is intensely gratifying to introduce them to the field of acoustics with a specific focus on cetaceans. Many of them never thought of cetaceans before, and never worried about their conservation... Hopefully when these students return to their home countries, they will talk about the need to conserve nature.

Last year we were fortunate to publish (with data collected from our Beneteau First 26, with a total fuel bill for the whole year below USD 100) in the following journals:

IEEE Access, 2020
Ecological Informatics, 2020
The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 2020
IEEE Access, 2020.

These are mostly Quantile 1 and Quantile 2 journals ... I could do a great deal more, if I had a bigger budget. But research funding in South Africa is limited and scarce, and when we do get funding, we sure have to make it count and have impact.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115%; background: transparent }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I did a LOT of work In bioacoustics. I had a 31’ Bertram with new diesels and no flybridge. Two 10” searchlight sonars. Full passive hydrophone listening and recording equipment. Waterfall acoustic analyzer.
The equipment budget was over $100,000.
That was for research inside Chesapeake Bay.
Off shore you need a larger, more stable and quiet hull with an A frame on the stern. Please take a look at research boats operated by universities.
Serious research is serious money. But...
Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Jaco Versfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 02:05   #20

Boat: Lavranos 40

Hi Jaco

I think the Warram might be a good option. Very simple strong boat. Limited accommodation but large wide platform for your work.

I sent you a personal message.

Max
maxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 17:21   #21

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

You are obviously serious about this. I apologize. I first thought here is another Ken Barbie and the cat blog trying to play marine mammal scientist.
Well any research which spreads the word and gets young people involved, that real science. Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
It’s nice to have a large budget and a big boat so might I suggest the following.
The research community is always buying new boats and larger boats. I’d write to every major oceanographic group and tell them what you do, why you do it, and what success you have had in getting young scientists educated at sea.
Write every corporation that has the word marine in it.
Stress the benefits of publicity for supporting you. Even oil companies want to be seen as good guys.
Write letters not emails. Send pictures. Find someone who wants to film what you are doing. It’s nice to publish papers and work within academia but corporations have the real money.
You have a great location for film. Great place for baseline data.
Cousteau’s first boat was small, old and cramped but he had first class cameras.
He had a film crew. He knew how to sell it...look at all the great results from all the people who watched his adventures.. Inspire people. Amaze them.
The money will follow.
Nuff said. Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and a spoiled crew of manatees.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 17:49   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 34 / 35 ft Sailboat for reseach

I will second the Tiki 30 as a more viable boat for what you want.. they are good sea boats with a reasonable turn of speed if not over loaded.
One word of caution, be careful of that wing sail, it's very powerful and while a gybe will not split a skull it can toss a body over the side easily.
If you go for it make sure you spend a few days practicing reefing techniques as not having a boom to lash reefs to takes some getting used to.
Best to perfect in quiet conditions and sheltered waters than out there when the SHTF and your bouncing around.
Not sure I trust that set up for raising the headsails though.. I would look at fitting a furling system instead.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat