Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 10:54   #16

Re: 31' Trumbly, 1979 information

Okay after combing the other pictures of the few Trumbly's I'm starting to doubt this is even one?
FlynMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:57   #17

It definitely is one. Note the hard chine near the waterline on the sides. And the wide sidedecks and minimal cabin trunk width.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:03   #18

Just had me doubting because out of the other 3 that I have found none have the same port holes. I understand that the interiors were all owner finished so I didn't think they would be the same however of the other 3 they're very similar while this one is completely different. Not finding many isn't helping. And then the fact that the ones I have found were 76s and a 77. Using the coast guard number does really give many anything.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49   #19

Boat: Golden Gate 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlynMoto View Post
The boats in Tampa right now and I'm actually in Texas. It's not that I want the boat I've just been in a since suckered already to get it. I put down on it because it was advertised as a Allied. And instead of going to go to court to get my money back I figured I'd just get it. My little brother lives right there in Tampa so I figured just let him get it.
I asked about this boat last August, on this board. I had a friend looking for an Allied Seawind and we found that boat for sale, but noticed something wasn't right about it (profile wrong, stern different, etc). I posted here, with pictures, and Cheechako responded with the same thing he told you. I never spoke to the owner to figure out if he was ignorant or deceitful about it.

I say that, not to discourage you, but to give you an indicator of how long that boat sat on the market. If you decide to resell it, be aware of that fact and weigh it against the possibility of stripping the boat and selling the parts off. I know it sounds horrible, but if the design is as bad as Cheechako says and you don't want to wait months to sell it, it's an option and you might can recuperate your investment.
Adodero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:53   #20

Honestly I just wish I had payed more attention to detail. This could have been avoided but that is life. You aren't discouraging so it is cool. I'm to the point right now of walking away and just washing my hands of the deal. As sad as that sounds.
Old 30-07-2014, 22:54   #21

Boat: Seawind 41

Did you ever sail Trumbly Seawind 31?

I own a Seawind 41. My understanding was that a company called wind and sea bought the design Joe Trumbly had created in the 60's as wood boat.
They made the fiberglass hulls 7 - 41' only 5 of which saw water, and some 20 or so 31'.

I find the comments about weatherhelm interesting. Does the 31' have the rudder hanging off a skag? As the 41' does, I have owned mine for 15 years. One of her best traits is how she handles in bad weather, and weatherhelm is not even a slight issue.
nwguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 08:43   #22

Hi, yes the 41 was a much better sailing boat. I did a lot of work on my 31 at "Wind and Sea Yachts" where they were built. I got to know Steve Foss the owner quite well. There was a 41 being completed while I was there. It was being completed by the owner and was about to launch when he dropped over dead. Kind of a Hippie looking guy. He had been divorced (separated?) earlier... and much to everyone's chagrin, his ex got the boat when he died.... she hated him and the boat. It was a blue hull and likely the last 41 laid up... but I'm not sure. One 31 was laid up after mine and I'm not sure if it ever got completed or not. I knew that owner and he worked on it for years in his back yard. The boats were well made, albeit a little unusual. Yes heavy skeg, huge rudder and well aft. If I remember right the 41 rudder actually protruded beyond the stern a bit?
The wooden plugs used to make the molds for the 31 and 41 were in the yard when I was there. I think Steve Foss started building Etchells racing boats (22ft?) before he got into the cruisers.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 16:16   #23

Boat: Seawind 41

Wow, thank you for the information, Cheechako. I have never been able to find much on the Wind & Sea company. Was Steve Foss connected at all with Foss tugs?

I think that may be my boat you saw. I had thought my boat was hull #2 and that it was painted blue at a later date, but I was never certain.

What I do know is she was renamed from Medea to Jo, and that she is a 1977 but never saw water until '81. I had a guy emailed me a few years ago asking if my boat was the Medea.
He told me his father had past away while working on the Boat. His mother then had Uniflite finish it. He lived on it in lake Union for 4 years, while attending UW and then the family sold it.

Yes, the rudder does protrude about 2 feet out, it sits an inch or so below the waterline. I can see my rudder position while under way, but not crazy about it hanging out at the dock. Someone told me Joe did that so you can climb in the boat. Not sure I believe them, and I tried, it doesn't work.

btw to your early comment about if Joe Trumbly was still around.
He is not:
http://www.sailingnaked.com/journal/10-18-04.cgi
nwguys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum