Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 12:37   #1

Boat: Catalina 34
30ft vs 33ft

If you would have an option to buy 30ft '94 or 34ft '83 for cruising in carribbean as they are about the same price range. Which one you would prefer?
Mehikene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:41   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: 30ft vs 33ft

tell us the boats because the design and space could be a lot different

Normally I would say get the bigger boat, but the smaller may in fact have as much space.
Old 06-01-2013, 13:12   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehikene View Post
If you would have an option to buy 30ft '94 or 34ft '83 for cruising in carribbean as they are about the same price range. Which one you would prefer?
It's which one you prefer that counts. I would say that generally bigger is better (when you're dealing with what most now consider small boats). In cruising you need storage space, a 30 footer comes up a bit short. I think most cruisers are about 40 feet now. Of course, if you're in your twenties and singlehanding, the 30 will do.
Old 06-01-2013, 13:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 30ft vs 33ft

If your thinking of using marinas go for the 30... 33 puts you in the 10m-12m mark and up to 1K/yr more...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 13:27   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It totally depends on the particular boats. There is no magic length or age that means a boat is more capable or comfortable than another, or more suitable to your particular needs. If they were very similar in design, build, maintenance, etc. probably the longer boat will be better in the long run. They are very close in size. In the USA and just about everywhere I've been in the Caribbean berths are priced by the foot.
Old 06-01-2013, 15:03   #6

Boat: Catalina 34

Hunter 29,5 '94 and Hunter 34 '83. I do not need much space but since it would be my first I was thinking how much the lenght gives you comfort at rough sea? I probably use it only one year and then want to sell it again. Smaller Hunter looks like brand new and she has dodger, bimini, ais, walk through transom. I think it would be easyer to sell her later?
Mehikene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:19   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

If this is your first boat, how are you planning to use it and why the short term ownership plan?
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 15:21   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

I think there are more variables than just comfort in a seaway:
  1. Comfort while at anchor or in a marina (that's where you will be spending most of your time)
  2. Ability to carry supplies, spares, safety equipment, dinghy & outboard, etc.
  3. Amount of your effort, time, and money required to prepare each boat for cruising
  4. I'm not familiar with Hunters, but there may be significant differences in design, construction, and general seaworthiness between the two boats
  5. Resale value might be a factor, but I'm not at all sure that the newer boat will keep its value any better than the older one.
If I were in your shoes, I'd consider all of these variables carefully.
Old 06-01-2013, 16:39   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Hunter 29,5 '94 and Hunter 34 '83. I do not need much space but since it would be my first I was thinking how much the lenght gives you comfort at rough sea? I probably use it only one year and then want to sell it again. Smaller Hunter looks like brand new and she has dodger, bimini, ais, walk through transom. I think it would be easyer to sell her later?
Hunter 34 83? Rough weather?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:42   #10
CLOD

Quote:
I have no personal knowledge of either. But I looked at the specs and the layout and I would go with the 34' (assuming condition is good and not a project.

The 29.5 is a little club racer where the 34 is a racer/cruiser. I feel you will be a lot more comfortable day hopping and living on the 34'

The 34 does have an iron keel so if you fo that route have it and its' bolts checked well.
Old 06-01-2013, 17:17   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Ummm...determine the storage capacity of each boat, in cubic feet; as they are very similar. Everything else being equal, get the one with the most cubic feet! The bigger the storage space, the more junk you can store!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:02   #12
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

If you are going to be actively sailing the boat, you might want to consider tank size. I checked the specs, and it looks like the 30 ft has about 40 gallons for fresh water, and the 34 has 65 gallons. For diesel they both have about 25 gallons.

I have a 2002 Hunter 326, my friend has a 1998 Hunter 340. He has a full roach sail with lazy jacks, I have roller furling. His boat is faster, and much roomier. He has more water capacity (75 gallons vs 50 gallons), and his bigger engine (3 cyl yanmar, 30 Hp vs 2 cyl yanmar 18 Hp) uses just slightly more fuel (0.3 vs 0.4 gallons per hour). When we sailed to Catalina island in September, we spent the same time in the same places all week, the advantage of the bigger water tank became obvious when we had to get water, they got water once we had to get it twice. We both left from San Diego and motor sailed to Oceanside, then to Catalina and back to Oceanside, we stayed there and they went back to SD. We used 20 gallons of fuel for the trip.

We have similar instruments, both have radar, mine has sonar, both have an anchor windlass and walk through transoms, his has a dodger, and mine has a bimini. His boat is faster, and roomier (yes I said that before) oh and more comfortable. BTW, my wife wants a dodger, and he wants a bimini (not to change, but to have both). Roller furling means I have my sails up and full faster, full roach sail means that when we are sailing his boat is WAY faster than mine.

All other things being equal, I would go with the bigger boat. HOWEVER, this is rarely the case. What about types of sail, age of instruments, quality of instruments, care of the boat, current condition of boat and sails, standing rigging etc. Most importantly which boat do you HAVE TO HAVE? Perhaps you should pay for a survey from a reliable surveyor on both boats and compare the surveys prior to making a decision.

I feel that I am in a good position to be able to give a recommendation between my boat and my friends. But that is because I have spent a lot of time on both. I can't tell based on the little bit of info here which one you should go with. But I hope I have given you something to think about between the two.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:29   #13

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
How you use the sailboat is the deciding factor. You mention an exotic island, but where will the boat be most often? Slip? Trailer? Jacks on the hard? Cruising full time?

If you are like me, and own your own trailer to move your sailboat from the water, the 34' er is a much harder task than the newer smaller sailboat. Mine is a 32' and last fall it was a head scratcher getting her pulled.

That 4' of longer sailboat could cost you an additional 40% or more a year in maintenance, repairs, slips, this n that, and other holes that show up in the water around you.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
That 4' of longer sailboat could cost you an additional 40% or more a year in maintenance, repairs, slips, this n that, and other holes that show up in the water around you.
I guess it COULD, but after 2 years of having a 43.5' boat instead on a 39' I found the extra costs are about $200/yr.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13   #15

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

I guess it COULD, but after 2 years of having a 43.5' boat instead on a 39' I found the extra costs are about $200/yr.
That extra five foot is not costing you much. Good bang for the buck. Our docks do not go by the foot, which I am glad for.