Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2020, 17:06   #1

30 Foot Great Lake boat Suggestions

Hello all,

I currently sail a Viking 28 out of CBYC on Lake Ontario. It's a fantastic day sailor that we spend some weekends on each year, but now my wife and I can both work remotely and we are looking for something we can spend more time on at the dock too.

I've been looking at 1981 C&C 30 in great shape, but in terms of engine it's a downgrade from my trusty Yanmar 1GM10 to the atomic 4. It's priced for $20k Canadian (16k USD), but it's been on the market for a while so I can likely get it for a little less.

Does anyone have some suggestions outside the C&C 30 around that price? I've seen Grampian 30s with diesels, but they're usually older although seem to have aged well.

Coming from the Viking I've noticed that my cockpit is larger than many of 30 footers. It's not an apples to apples comparing a racer to a cruiser, but a nice compromise between cockpit and cabin is a top buying criteria. We hit the water 2-3 times a week so we're hesitant to go bigger than 30. We're afraid the hassle of a bigger boat would keep us on shore.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Klonergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 17:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: 30 Foot Great Lake boat Suggestions

S2 9.2C is a nice boat. Sails pretty well and very comfortable for summer marina living.
Old 16-12-2020, 17:32   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

CS30 lots around to choose from. Well built boats with quality hardware. Only downside is the Volvo 2002.
Old 16-12-2020, 19:18   #4

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I just bought an O'Day 30.

I'm on Lk St Clair, which is pretty thin, so a centerboard was important to me.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 03:07   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Although the absolute prices are out of date, the relative prices, and brief reviews/descriptions will be accurate.
Used Sailboat Models in Central CanadaUsed Sailboats in central Canada
27' - 30' ➥ Sailboats in Canada - 27' to 30' models
30' - 42' ➥ Sailboats in Canada - 30' to 42' models

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 03:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
CS30 lots around to choose from. Well built boats with quality hardware. Only downside is the Volvo 2002.
I was thinking like Vasco, although I know nothing about what kind of engine they have in them.

That said, I think I saw one on Kijii last weekend...

Good luck!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 05:22   #7

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

I sold a 1988 C&C 30-2 after 17 years of ownership and moved on to a Saga 35. After 3 years I had the chance to buy back my 30-2. I missed it so much that I sold the Saga and bought the 30 back. No regrets, she's a great performer. I do know of one for sale in Waupoos, more expensive than the 30-1 but newer more modern aft cabin aft head design.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 06:30   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

OK, it is a 31 and not a 30, but the Niagara 31 is a sleeper if you can find a good one. From the Practical Sailor write-up about the boat, the 'George' is George Hinterhoeller the renowned boat builder (and designer of the Shark). The N31 was designed by German Frers who knew a thing or three about making boats sail well.

"George sat on his C&C 30 and made a list of the 10 items which would take an already great boat and make it better. In his typical down-to-earth fashion, George added up the necessary lengths of berths, head, cockpit and galley, and ended up with a target length of 31 feet.”
Old 17-12-2020, 07:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonergan View Post
We hit the water 2-3 times a week so we're hesitant to go bigger than 30. We're afraid the hassle of a bigger boat would keep us on shore.
I don't really understand this argument. Go as big as you can afford. Sailing smaller boats could be fun but nothing beats size and comfort for spending more time aboard. You might even go cruising!

C&Cs were nice boats but they are getting seriously old with soggy cored hulls and decks. CS boats are great - 36T is awesome if you don't need aft cabin and sugar scoop otherwise look at 36M. Or CS34. Older Hunter Legends are great boats too if you find one in good condition.

Don't be intimidated by the size, you can take a 40-footer out for a few hours sail just as easy as your 30.
skalashn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 07:45   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post

C&Cs were nice boats but they are getting seriously old with soggy cored hulls and decks.
None of the C&C's under 32' had cored hulls.

The CS. Catalinas and older Hunters would be where I'd look.
While the atomic 4's were decent little engines I've never seen one installed
with proper gasoline fume ventilation or an electrical system in the engine/fuel compartment that met either TP1332 or ABYC standards
Old 17-12-2020, 08:26   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Obviously we don't know your budget or cruising style, but I agree with Skalashn on size. You stated your desire is more dock-time vs. your existing 28 day sailor. Why look at another 30, which will not improve comfort much. The head and galley will still be "camping style", the seating below still as cramped. If you are looking for change, then change. You will get used to handling a boat that is 20% larger in the same couple of weeks as if you had bought a slightly bigger car.

I daysail my 36, and it's easier than day sailing a 22 foot trailerable because of the convenience features such as autopilot and push-button engine. On the downside, it is considerably more expensive - going up by a cube factor, rather than 40% more based on length.

All boats are compromises, so what do you want this boat to be good at and what can you 'live with'? Sleeping at the dock and weekly daysailing, away from dock / anchored cruising, racing, etc.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 09:01   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Catalina 30 with diesel and be done with it. Company still exists, parts very easy to get, and so many around anyone can help with repair and maintenance.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 09:43   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

I have a 1989 Catalina 30 that was originally bought and shipped to the great lakes. Tall rig and wing keel (3' 10" draft) apparently good for GL sailing.
We installed a full enclosure and have been sailing three times in Nov on Okanagan Lake in BC.
During its production run from 1972 to 2008 in many versions the design sold 6,430 examples, making it one of the most successful keelboat designs ever built.
Do your research and watch for problems with older models (pre 1985)
Check out this informative post.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ry-103239.html
Good luck
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 09:57   #14

My C&C Mega 30 had a cored hull above the waterline.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2020, 10:30   #15

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Take a look at CS 33 and 36. Awesomely built, good keel weight and depth marvelous boats. Should be some in your area to look at. I chose it over C and C, Sabre, and Tartan several years ago and have not been sorry. Some good reviews out there.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat