Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 01:01   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: 30-50 ft LOA non-wooden Gaff-Rigged Sloops and Schooners?

[QUOTE=Stonefloat;1973435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
I'd say the whole "doesn't come down" issue is more a nuisance than much of anything else.

Yes I'd say your quite right, like anything that you spend time on always looking for a simple effective way. I found some buff colored vectran (I believe) that worked much better for the lazyjacks
Cheers, stonefloat
On the mainsail (Bermuda rigged) I'd say the lazyjacks can be a problem. On the gaff foresail I just call the magic flying gaff boom. The saddle drops so wonderfully and the aft end of the sail says "let me fly, I'm a sail, don't you know..." and its really not a matter of lazy jacks. For a couple years we had no lazy jacks (or topping lift) on that sail. The boom comes down onto a boom crutch so no need for the topping lift from that perspective, only sailshape. It was still a flying story then too. Except once we got the sail down, we had to pick it up off the deck and pile it up between the booms. Finally made the lazy jacks

Old 30-11-2015, 01:49   #62

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, speaking of gaff sails flying, we never used to lash the main gaff down, the sail sat neatly in the lazy jacks, with only a slight tug at the leech to tidy it up.

Anyway we thought the weight of the gaff would hold it down and for many years it did, till one day at anchor in an exposed roadstead in a gale a big gust must have caught us side on, and it blew the sail, gaff and all most of the way up.

Probably a good thing we had a few reefs in because she took off like a scalded cat, rail underwater and all, canvas flogging.

Scared the crap out of us, all below reading or playing cards. Then with a bang she came up hard on the chain at about five knots or so.. .

The 75lb Danforth copy held, but the shock bent the shank (a regular occurance) and one chain link opened up, amazing it didn't let go over the next day or so.

Anyway, since then we've always at least put a quick tie between the gaff and boom.

Ahh, it's fun talking gaff rig, but it's probably not helping the OP much.
Old 02-12-2015, 14:25   #63

Boat: Ted Brewer Corten 42 Gaff Schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Rentoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
After years of living aboard a 28' 7" fibreglass sloop, we started looking for a steel hull to fit out - ideally a 35' cutter. However we fell in love with the neglected hull-and-deck of a Brewer 'Corten' gaff schooner, 42' 9'' LOD; 51' LOA. Our boat had been the personal project of a guy who was selling kitset hulls of this design, so there should be a few around. Great sailing performance, very sea-kindly. We sailed her to NZ with our young daughter - not always easy, but a fantastic experience. I miss her still.
Hey there We have Southpaw in NZ bought her Jun 2014. Sailed her around the North Island spending time in the Marlborough sounds. With great sadness we are preparing her to sell re our sloop has failed to sell. She will be hauled out 10th Dec 2015. I know how you are feeling
Jim Rentoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 15:11   #64

Boat: Ted Brewer Corten 42 Gaff Schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Rentoul

Hi Southpaw
We understand your feelings. We purchased her in NZ Jun 2014 then sailed her around the North Island staying in the Marlborough Sounds for a while. She is easily driven and turns the eyes wherever she goes. The owner we bought from had completely changed the layout from when you had her. She was not finished and still is a work in progress.
With deep regret we are hauling her out Dec 10th to ready for selling re changing circumstances. It hurts.
Jim Rentoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, sloop