Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2010, 08:16   #1

30-32' Sailboat Suggestions Wanted

After 5 -7 years of tolerating my sailing passion, my wife has gotten enthused! (FINALLY) But, NOT about "sailing".

She's enthused bout being at the dock, socializing and going out for day (or maybe more) sailing trips. Not too far from land. One, or two overnights. Long Island Sound. Not for too long. But.....at least she's going and is interested in a "bigger boat".

To stay at our current slip, the max allowed length is 32 ft. We'd like a lower-maintenance, easy-to-sail-singlehanded "something" that has hot water, and decent resale value. I'm technically very handy, but getting old enough that the allure of a fixer-upper is wearing thin. The cheapskate in me is willing, but the rest is tired.

Right now on ebay there's a 35 ft. Morgan CHEAP, (search for Morgan Sloop) but that's too long, and more spontaniety than we can handle. Our dock neighbor has a 32 ft. O'Day that looks nice, but I'd appreciate other ideas. We've had a 27 ft. Ericson for 6+ years now. It needs cosmetics (again). We could stay with the Ericson and enjoy another year, and we might.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tanksalot!
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:35   #2

Boat: Pearson 26
What's the budget? How do you plan to use it?

If you like a boat with nice classic lines on the lower end of the $pectrum (around $20,000), consider something like a Pearson Vanguard. Most you'll find may still have the original wooden spars, teak coamings and toerails, and possibly an Atomic 4 gas engine.

If you'd rather have more room and less maintainance, what about a Catalina 30 for around the same price range? They have a good re-sale value.

If you have over $50,000 to spend, look at the Catalina 32.

Good luck!
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:48   #3

Boat: Allures 44
How about a Nonsuch 30? Hard to find a 30 ft boat with more space in the cockpit and below. Easy to sail and easy to maintain. Perfect for LI Sound conditions, day sails, and the occasional short cruise. It will cost a little more than 50K, but it will maintain its value.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 08:57   #4

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
How about a Barvia?
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 09:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Alberg 30 - $10-20K depending on condition ...?
Old 15-10-2010, 10:59   #6

Boat: Bristol 32
Bristol 32. Built nearby, and common on th eastern seaboard. Built like tanks, and usually rigged so that all lines lead to the cockpit, so that they are easy to singlehand. Production interiors, tough, tough hulls, and plywood cored decks. Most have been repowered away from the atomic 4 original plant. They are inexpensive, and easily the best looking classic plastic in their size range. Okay, I'm biased, but c'mon, you know it's true!
The mast is a massive extrusion with redundant rigging that you will never have to worry about. She loves light air, and goes to wind well, considering the age of these boats.

CONS. Older systems. What can I say? The definition of a sailboat is something that is broken. The interior is smaller than modern boats. As an older CCA design, she likes to heel a bit to stretch out her waterline. It's not bad, but there it is. The trade-off is that she won't pound in a seaway. Check the deck in way of fittings. Water in the core can be a major pain. Many old boats have trouble with their cores, and that can be the death of them. The hull is solid glass, and I mean solid. There has got to be enough extra glass to make a decent daysailor.

Money talks, and good ones can be had these days for $20,000, or even less. But you can't have mine.

MaineBristol.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 11:13   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Yankee 30 seems fine too. Inexpensive.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:06   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Check some of the links after my signature and my book recommendation. I'll bet you find some ideas there. Mariner and Fuji 32. All purpose, good looks and a great place to entertain guests.
kind regards,
Old 15-10-2010, 17:34   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I would check out the Aloha 32. Mark Ellis design. Good interior space and good headroom for a 32 foot boat. If you want a more cruising oriented boat, I'd look at the Allied Seawind II (32) or the Southern Cross 31.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:45   #10

Boat: Allures 44
Curmudgeon,

That Aloha 32 is a nice suggestion. Many of the Mark Ellis traits that you see in the Nonsuch 30, not quite as roomy, but with a sloop rig and a cheaper price.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:48   #11

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
I've been looking at boats myself and at 32' the Erickson looks pretty good. Anyone with experience on one?
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote