Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2020, 03:19   #31

Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
I wonder how one parks long keel in marinas where they park only stern to (Mediterranean way)
Good question, never did it, I have no idea. Will listen here with interest...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 03:31   #32

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
As I understand, because of prop walk, when moored alongside and reversing you stern goes either to pontoon or away from it (depending on what side of pontoon you are parked), correct? So your prop walk works in effect as a spring. May it be possible to use this effect without pushing your boat manually in position before leaving?
Yes, you can use it to that effect. I generally come into my pontoon berth bow in, with the pontoon to my port side. My prop walk kicks the stern to port in astern, so I push the stern off to starboard then step aboard when leaving the berth. By the time I put the engine in astern, the prop walk tends to then bring the stern back to the straight ahead position before gathering enough speed to begin the boat tracking backwards. If you are on a berth where the stern will kick out away from it in astern, it can be useful to attach a line from the bow to the pontoon and let the prop walk 'walk' the stern out, then release the line.
SteveSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 03:49   #33

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
And reversing? Works well? Also, I assume you are not using much your outboard cruising in very light or no winds, correct?
About the only time I motor in reverse is to back out of my slip and it does that fine.

Many times if I need to get back home on a Sunday and there is no or little wind I will use the 5hp outboard and motor or motor sail the 20 miles across the lower Chesapeake Bay to get there

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 04:00   #34

Boat: Fisher 37

Bow thruster fixes most issues with long keel when manoeuvring at slow speeds is required. Whether you can get a boat with one fitted for budget is questionable but worth looking out for.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 04:42   #35

Boat: Sirius 310DS

What you get with a $15.000 budget is an endless repair, refit and/or upgrade project. Take your pick.

I would not be comfortable taking an old boat like this further away than I could swim back, let alone across any ocean without some proper service of all systems, rigging and sails.
Electrical wires? Likely overcooked spagetti.

Best of luck!
BakerHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:03   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerHansen View Post
What you get with a $15.000 budget is an endless repair, refit and/or upgrade project. Take your pick.

I would not be comfortable taking an old boat like this further away than I could swim back, let alone across any ocean without some proper service of all systems, rigging and sails.
Electrical wires? Likely overcooked spagetti.

Best of luck!

Well not quite true.

I bought my boat , a Bristol 27, for $2,000. I have replaced no wiring yet but did install a couple LEd Cabin Lamps.

Replaced the mainsail and diesel with a new outboard, and repainted the bottom and sailed it for quite a few years up and down the Chesapeake Bay which is 30 miles wide at some points. I've put maybe another $8,000 into the boat

Sometimes I sail out into the ocean on tacks going across.

I've had the boat for 9 years now and slowly have replaced or added other things like solar (my outboard has no alternator) replaced the dodger and mainsail cover, painted decks, interior etc replaced the autopilots and so on.

I would usually do this type stuff during the offseason when there's no a lot of good sailing happening.

So far I've replaced nothing structural but will probably be replacing the rigging in the next few years. I also built a chart plotter with OpenCPN and a $75 Raspberry Pi 4 Computer with a $17 USB GPS Hockey Puck then later added AIS coming in from my SH GX2200 VHF/GPS/AIS via RS422/485 USB adapter bring in the NMEA data

Then there's this guy that sailed his $1,000 sailboat (also a Bristol 27) about 3/4th the way around the world. He crossed the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic Oceans with his old boat while staying busy doing programming for the OpenCPN freeware.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html

Some of these old boats were built very strong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bay point.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	229458   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00245.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	229459  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00246.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	229460  
Old 27-12-2020, 05:07   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Good question, never did it, I have no idea. Will listen here with interest...
Park bow to.. the tension on the stern mooring lines will/should pull you a good way out to allow clearance with minimum complications when you release the bow.. this is where one uses the prop walk to advantage.
Release the side that is opposite your prop walk which puts you slightly offset then the other side and bobs your uncle.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:08   #38

Boat: Sirius 310DS

Haha point taken! Suppose you can get lucky :-) Apart from outblown sails, they just sail slower. The rigging and 50 years worth of use / lack of use. It needs attention before any ocean crossing
BakerHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:14   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 30 -32 feet blue-water cruisier

Quote:
Haha point taken! Suppose you can get lucky :-) Apart from outblown sails, they just sail slower. The rigging and 50 years worth of use / lack of use. It needs attention before any ocean crossing
Depends entirely on one's personal risk tolerance I guess..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:19   #40

Quote:
Yeah, most any boat will need attention before ocean crossing whether you paid $15,000 or $50,000 for it.

Here are some other well built older boats (and some good advice) from a guy James Baldwin that circumnavigated twice on his old 1960's era Pearson 28.

https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...oats-list.html
Old 27-12-2020, 05:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Depends entirely on one's personal risk tolerance I guess..
I think it's that and the trust you build up in your good old boat if you own it long enough and have tested it thoroughly in a wide range of conditions as best as is possible.

Mine still needs rigging, more reef points in the main, and a few other things before I'd trust it well offshore in heavy weather.

But as a single hander the thing I have discovered even sailing up and down the Bay in winds to 34 knots (45 anchored) is that usually the weak link is the old skipper that might be tired etc or partially seasick whereas the boat pretty much seems to be at home when the going get tough.
Old 27-12-2020, 05:40   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpring View Post
The Rival 34 isn't really bigger than the 32, it's all overhang on the stern. Both lovely boats. I have a friend with a 32. If you found one with a new-ish engine and the rest of it was sound, snap it up. That one listed says it's got a Beta 25 fitted, so it's already been replaced.

Check out the Halmatic 30. That's what I have. It looks like a very slightly shorter Nicholson 31. Good interior layout. Sails well. Long keeled, masthead rig. Mine has a Beta 20 with only 300 hours on it and I replaced the standing rigging last year. It's not for sale though!

What is Rival 32 headroom ?

Any specific to Rival problems to check the old boat?

- Deck compression, bulkhead problems ?
- Standing rigging decking problems ?

- Ground tackle ?
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:43   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Park bow to.. the tension on the stern mooring lines will/should pull you a good way out to allow clearance with minimum complications when you release the bow.. this is where one uses the prop walk to advantage.
Release the side that is opposite your prop walk which puts you slightly offset then the other side and bobs your uncle.
sounds good (doable)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well not quite true.

I bought my boat , a Bristol 27, for $2,000. I have replaced no wiring yet but did install a couple LEd Cabin Lamps.

Replaced the mainsail and diesel with a new outboard, and repainted the bottom and sailed it for quite a few years up and down the Chesapeake Bay which is 30 miles wide at some points. I've put maybe another $8,000 into the boat

Sometimes I sail out into the ocean on tacks going across.

I've had the boat for 9 years now and slowly have replaced or added other things like solar (my outboard has no alternator) replaced the dodger and mainsail cover, painted decks, interior etc replaced the autopilots and so on.

I would usually do this type stuff during the offseason when there's no a lot of good sailing happening.

So far I've replaced nothing structural but will probably be replacing the rigging in the next few years. I also built a chart plotter with OpenCPN and a $75 Raspberry Pi 4 Computer with a $17 USB GPS Hockey Puck then later added AIS coming in from my SH GX2200 VHF/GPS/AIS via RS422/485 USB adapter bring in the NMEA data

Then there's this guy that sailed his $1,000 sailboat (also a Bristol 27) about 3/4th the way around the world. He crossed the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic Oceans with his old boat while staying busy doing programming for the OpenCPN freeware.

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://svcrystalblues.blogspot.com/...ne-around.html

Some of these old boats were built very strong.

Well done! OpenCPN is really cool. Couldn't find west coast of Europe and Africa, Med and Canaries charts in the sources they give on their site, though.
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 05:50   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Since you mentioned Sweden another good boat to consider is the Albin Vega 27.

Quite a few have circumnavigated.

They are Swedish build but quite small.

https://solotheamericas.org/

Tarka - A 1973 Albin Vega
Sweden is a good place to buy an old boat. They tend to take good care of them there and the prices tend to be modest.

There are a number of Swedish boats in that size range -- Comfortina 32 is another one, which with a more modern underbody will be a better sailer than most of the others mentioned.

Of course, for €15 000 or whatever the OP's budget is, the choice will be limited. Forget Rustler if Contessa is out of your budget.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, blue water sailing, cruisier, long keel, rival 32, rustler 31, Twister 28