Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 20:21   #1

3-4 year sailing adventure

I'm from VA, USA, my goal was to get an 1980ish Catalina 30 and rig it for solar and wind power and start my voyage down to the Bahamas and Caribbean Sea to bring on rations in Pueto Rico. Then sail threw the Panama Canal to the Galápagos islands mainly because I've always wanted to travel there. Then head to San Fransisco, CA, USA to re-rashion then jump to Hawaii via trade winds then Japan and East Asia threw the Indian Ocean pass up threw the Red Sea 'may stop in Dubia, UAE' into the Mediterranean Sea and visit European Countries before heading to Iceland around Greenland to Prince Edward Island, CA. I have family there, and back to Va. And I'm planning on doing this solo, with a valid US Passport, and around 1400usd per month as income. What are your recommendations.I have 3 years sailing experience in Maritime transportation and 1 1/2 years sailboat. The farthest I've gone so far is 358 NM along the east coast. What are places I should visit in my journey and what are places I should stay away from. I was considering Fiji and Australia but I'm not sure yet. Also what radio equipment and charting would you recommend. I'm on somewhat of a budget but I'm making 55,000 and want to ensure I have a good foundation for my voyage. Thank you!
Creed0994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 00:35   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: 3-4 year sailing adventure

That's alot for someone inexperienced to bite off at one chunk. Suggest you slow the long distance plans and take it one cruising season at a time. Get the boat. Don't spend a ton on fixing it up. Do a winter/spring cruising the Bahamas. Head back to the east coast and add to the boat what you now know you want. In the fall start your passage south.
Old 27-08-2019, 03:18   #3

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 3-4 year sailing adventure

I might add to the above since you are in Virginia to get the boat and sail the Chesapeake Bay for the first year/season to get used to it and learn all the systems while seeing what works and what doesn't

Be sure and crisscross the lower bay a lot to get used to the wave action coming in off the ocean and/or extend your tacks out into the ocean side of the bridge

Then the following years proceed with the above plan to the Bahamas
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing