Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2018, 19:11   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: 28' newport blue water ?

If you are looking for a "bluewater" 28 footer, there are some good ones here: Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org
It's not a complete list, but it gives you a good idea of what is generally regarded as bluewater.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:06   #17

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

Yes, who wouldn’t take a production 28 footer water sailing">blue water sailing? What could the possible drawbacks be?
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 19:22   #18

Hmmmm... I think it depends on what one calls a "production" boat because I think there are probably many "production" boats that folks would endorse and are currently sailing around the world.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-08-2018, 20:00   #19

Do you really believe that? Would anyone who knows how to sail take an old 28 footer out beyond costal waters? Somethings actually take knowledge, skill and money to do. You can’t do it on the cheap or without skill.
Old 22-08-2018, 20:06   #20

The problem is the “blue water”. Sail what you can afford where you can safely do it. If it was me I would sail Canada to the gulf. Great sailing and the boat could do it. Be realistic and stay alive.
Old 22-08-2018, 20:08   #21

It is estimated that fewer than 200 boats are engaged in circumnavigation in any given year or so I have read.
Old 22-08-2018, 20:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfield55 View Post
Do you really believe that? Would anyone who knows how to sail take an old 28 footer out beyond costal waters? Somethings actually take knowledge, skill and money to do. You can’t do it on the cheap or without skill.
I'm just saying it is more useful to actually name a boat, year and builder to evaluate a boat's "bluewater" abilities.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 22-08-2018, 20:22   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It is estimated that fewer than 200 boats are engaged in circumnavigation in any given year or so I have read.
Kinda iffy IMO... my observation is that lots of those who proclaim "I'm gonna sail RTW" don't end up doing so, and lots of folks who are "just cruising" end up back where they began, and have indeed circumnavigated.

So, how do these pundits decide who is "engaged in circumnavigating"?

Jim
Old 23-08-2018, 19:07   #24

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
I think it is indeed very difficult to determine how many are 'engaged ...'. I do have an interesting wrinkle though. When we did our RTW no boats were doing the Red Sea route so everyone, with the exception of non-stop around the world types and there are precious few of those, stopped in SA at about the same time of year. I estimated that between 80 and 100 boats were there and almost all were doing circumnavigations and most nearly done - going to Europe or North America. What got me thinking about this is that someone (forget who) said that more people climb Mt Everest in a typical year than complete a circumnav. This seemed silly but I checked and found that there are about 400 Everest climbers (not counting the Sherpas) most years. if my boat estimate is correct the number going around is probably in the 200s. Most boats have two people and I suspect the single handers almost balance the larger crews. Anyway, the point is that I agree the numbers are small. Another wrinkle is that of the boats we saw in SA every one was a different make and model.
Old 23-08-2018, 19:15   #25

Quote:
if my boat estimate is correct the number going around is probably in the 200s.
If there were some 100 in SA, how about all the rest of the world? Only a fraction of the current RTW sailors will be in any one location at any one time. Quite a few in NZ, Oz, SE Asia and so on. And again, how do you distinguish between a cruiser and a circumnavigator until the RTW is over?

Jim
Old 23-08-2018, 19:45   #26

And your point is?
Old 23-08-2018, 20:11   #27

Quote:
And your point is?
That there are very likely well more than 200 boats engaged in a RTW in any given year.

I apologize to the OP for continuing an off topic discussion.

Jim
Old 23-08-2018, 20:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That there are very likely well more than 200 boats engaged in a RTW in any given year.

I apologize to the OP for continuing an off topic discussion.

Jim
Jim,

You missed the point.

What was said was there were about 200 boats through South Africa in "the season," kind of a gate for boats going round. So the guess being made was there are about 200 boats that FINISH a circumnavigation each year. If you figure an average time of 5 years, (scale up or down as you think appropriate..) that makes about 1000 boats who are actually circumnavigating each year, if they know it or not.

Sounds about right to me. It's not 100, it's not 10,000. I'm betting there are not any Newport 28s in this year's class. Just a guess.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 20:48   #29

For the OP:

"Bluewater" as far as you're concerned, needs to be defined. Most of us here on CF take that to mean out of sight of land by DAYS, if not weeks.

If so, that boat is a horrible choice.

I have a bigger one, and have been bashed by the Pacific more times than I care to mention off the Northern California coast in 30+ years sailing in and out of San Francisco.

There's a reason they call them "coastal cruisers."

Be safe: don't even consider it.

BTW, I sailed (motored) my boat from SF to BC in 2016. I've been looking at the winds that are happening in the places I passed by on the way up and they are significantly stronger than when I transited. I got a "good year" for low winds and 165 hours of motoring.

Please, don't do it. Buy the boat and stay local, learn enough to find the right boat for your intended mission.

This one ain't it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 22:29   #30

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I been using my beneteau first 26 for bleuwater the last couple of years , but you need to do a lot of refit , in my opinion 30 to 34 feet is ideal.
Now to give you an idea the changes I have done :
Replace toe rail with different design
Replace the hole forestay chainplate to stronger and different design , replace backstay chainplate , my boat came with a fractional mast so I have running backstays adding extra strength
Add 5mm backing plate to every fitting on deck
Replace opening windows with 10mm plexiglass glass
I do my best to keep the boat as light as possible and have efficient sparea
Through I been crusing in the med and canaries without water maker my 100litter tank is not enough for more than 3 weeks so I added a water maker ( I could add an extra tank but you can't overload a small boat )
Add wind generator
Add solar panel (not much but just enough )
The interior of my boat is not Spartan , it's pretty spacious for the size but God I would love to have shower inside .
I have replace all the rigging and roller
I do have storm sail , storm trysail , 2 Genoa's and 2 mainsail (sailmakers are making small boats sails lighter so you gonna destroy some of them )
I made the rudder mounts stronger by spreading the weight half on the bottom hull (micro skeg) and half on the transform.
Those all some.of the changes I did and the boat needs a lot more ,
After the last survey the estimated cost of the boat plus gear is 38.000 euro , without calculating the work hours .

Do I regret it ???
Hell no I love this boat everything is cheap and easy to repair , do I recoment someone else to do it ????
No except if you really knowing where you are diving in , small boats are nice and safe but they are uncomfortable , slow and wet .
It's better to spend the money for a 30footer if you are going for a long run .
Now 4 years after the purchase I am looking for the next boat that will be 34 feet so I can cruise with girlfriend
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport vessels