Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 16:26   #31

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Re: $20k boat VS $60k boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your numbers are way out of whack. I've seen a 35' boat re-wired for 60k,
I just had a 35' Pearson rewired for $10k. I cant even imagine 60k!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 17:33   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I just had a 35' Pearson rewired for $10k. I cant even imagine 60k!

And I've rewired a 32' for the cost of materials......but I Am That Guy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
This right here tells me you're clueless and shouldn't be buying a boat until you do a lot more research. Apart from astronomical cost it just won't work unless you intend to shore charge it continuously.
Not so fast here haiqu. I was invited aboard a Hunter 30 this morning in my marina to look at the installation of an electric (Propulsion) motor. The guy loves it. He said he can motor at hull speed for 10 hours. His motor gives him equivalent 20 hp. When sailing, the spinning prop re-charges the 8 6-volt battery bank. It is a very compact and clean installation. The owner said it cost him $6,000.
Not my cup of tea, but for those who might be inclined, could be a reasonable option.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:18   #34

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitoSoto View Post
Which is the more financially responsible option?

1. 1970's 20k 40'+ Sailboat + 20k in "upgrades"

or

2. 2000's 60k 37' Sailboat

I will not do all the work myself on the older boat, so it will not become a "project", everything will be done once by a professional (hence the "high" 40k add-on). My arguments;

- I can completely redo the interior of an older boat with that much cash, so I will have EXACTLY the layout I want (and be much nicer than a newer boat), plus I can get a larger boat for much less (because of age).

- But, a newer boat has a furling main which is a big plus for me, something I couldn't add to an older boat because of the high cost. Also, no work involved.

- I will convert either one to electric propulsion, so the engine age and condition don't matter.
Those numbers are probably low if you do the work yourself. Let alone outsourcing.

Buy a boat with the interior you like. A complete interior redo is a big job.

Not sure I'd use the term financially responsible when customizing a boat.

Why electric propulsion? Even with regular use we don't add many engine hours in a year. If you have a good powerplant why change it?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:29   #35

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your numbers are way out of whack. I've seen a 35' boat re-wired for 60k,
With a friend's help working 5 solid days for the two of us and >$3000 in supplies at near wholesale prices, including rewiring and installing new batteries and AC and DC panels on my boat. Still more work needs to be done wiring the new electronics and mast wiring.

So I completely agree with others that your numbers are whacked. Good luck staying in budget
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:36   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
When I had a 1934 25'7" on deck Atkin sloop, someone asked me," Jonathan, what does it cost you to run your little boat? ". "Every nickel I can get my hands on", I said. "Well, what did it cost you when you had your fifty footer ?" " Every nickel I could get my hands on", I said. Your income seems to adjust itself to the size boat you are supporting, so, my advice is, buy the boat you want, because it will take every nickel you can get your hands on. At least you'll have the boat you want.
OH this.

It is so true.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:41   #37

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
Not so fast here haiqu. I was invited aboard a Hunter 30 this morning in my marina to look at the installation of an electric (Propulsion) motor. The guy loves it. He said he can motor at hull speed for 10 hours. His motor gives him equivalent 20 hp. When sailing, the spinning prop re-charges the 8 6-volt battery bank. It is a very compact and clean installation. The owner said it cost him $6,000.
Not my cup of tea, but for those who might be inclined, could be a reasonable option.
Do you know what brand the motor is?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:57   #38

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Why,now you're interested , and the hippie doesn't sound so crazy now wanting to put an electric propulsion system in her bit smaller Tartan? If for 6 grand I could do away with all the crap involved in an internal propulsion system that would deliver all that... my Kubota cost six grand in the crate in 2005.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 19:00   #39

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Nice to see a post from someone who is not so closed minded. I wouldn't want electric power on my boat, but that doesn't mean it isn't viable for someone else.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 19:29   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Why,now you're interested , and the hippie doesn't sound so crazy now wanting to put an electric propulsion system in her bit smaller Tartan? If for 6 grand I could do away with all the crap involved in an internal propulsion system that would deliver all that... my Kubota cost six grand in the crate in 2005.
If that's directed at me you haven't read my posts. I've always been interested in electric propulsion. My Scout 30 is a perfect boat for it. I've even talked to an Elco rep about it. The problem is that you still have to solve the problem of limited range & recharging. As I said before, if you're just going short distances this will work but if you're actually cruising you need a generator. Not necessarily a bad thing but a lot of expense. In fact, after you buy the electric motor, high end batteries, charging system, generator & solar charging system you're looking way more than double the cost of a diesel repower. But if it can be done cheaper I'd like to hear about it.
Old 23-09-2015, 19:50   #41

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
If that's directed at me you haven't read my posts. I've always been interested in electric propulsion. My Scout 30 is a perfect boat for it. I've even talked to an Elco rep about it. The problem is that you still have to solve the problem of limited range & recharging. As I said before, if you're just going short distances this will work but if you're actually cruising you need a generator. Not necessarily a bad thing but a lot of expense. In fact, after you buy the electric motor, high end batteries, charging system, generator & solar charging system you're looking way more than double the cost of a diesel repower. But if it can be done cheaper I'd like to hear about it.
Correct me if I am wrong, but we are comparing apples and oranges here. The OP is talking about a sail boat. Seem to me a sailboat would work with electric better as the main propulsion is by sail. The electric would be for docking and transit out to sea.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 19:53   #42

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Lakota said the whole system cost 6K in a 30 footer. A Hunter 30 is the Cherubini, isn't it? A heavy little boat when equipped for Cruising. The guy claimed it drove his boat at hull speed for ten hours. If he only ran 41/2Kn., could he double that to 20 hrs? How far does a sailboat have to motor to get sea room to start sailing? Plus, the solar panels put some back, the free wheeling prop under sail puts charge back. Am I missing? No noise, no oil or fuel in the bilge,no exhaust fumes. I have space for eight six volt batteries below the water line, either side of the ballast, right in the center of the boat. Scout, sorry if you felt I was targeting you. I know you wern't pooh poohing the electric idea. Excuse me.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 20:23   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
He said he can motor at hull speed for 10 hours. His motor gives him equivalent 20 hp. When sailing, the spinning prop re-charges the 8 6-volt battery bank.
That range at hull speed is impossible.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 20:26   #44

The Elco 1200, comparable to an 18hp diesel, costs $8,000 without batteries or charging system. Elco estimates a 3 - 7 hour cruising range on this 48 volt motor. Of course the more throttle you use the shorter the range meaning punching into a headwind or fighting a current could deplete your bank more quickly. You can see by this that under some circumstances you could have less than a 20 mile range which most would consider inadequate. As I said before, if you're just going short distances for day sailing this will work fine. If you're heading down the ICW or over to the Bahamas it's not a viable option without a generator. And this motor, which is one of the smaller ones, is rated at 5.1 KW continuous (8.8 kw peak) which means a small generator won't work. I'd also want the biggest solar system I could fit just to extend the range.
Old 23-09-2015, 20:53   #45

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...The guy loves it. He said he can motor at hull speed for 10 hours. His motor gives him equivalent 20 hp. When sailing, the spinning prop re-charges the 8 6-volt battery bank. It is a very compact and clean installation. The owner said it cost him $6,000...
And you believed him? Did he do the installation himself?

Any boat can be setup with a water-powered generator. But the drag does cost you boat speed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote