Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2015, 19:16   #16

Re: 2015 Hinkley Bermuda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
So, I'm looking at the panel edges of modular furniture photo trying to figure out what the panel stock is. I can see some blue foam sandwich made with door skins, but what about the rest? MDF?

Doesn't look like marine ply to me...
It looks like blue-tape, so when they glue in to the hull, resin doesn't get on the nice cherry finish.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 20:32   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
It looks like blue-tape, so when they glue in to the hull, resin doesn't get on the nice cherry finish.
Not that blue stuff silly, the light blue foam-looking stuff on that corner piece in the lower left.

I'm shocked that Hinckley is now using blue tape as the core on their cabinetry. Unbelievable.

Seriously, that sure doesn't look like ply. So what is that core on the other wood surfaces?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF_hinck.jpg
Views:	1612
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	95193  
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:18   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Seriously, that sure doesn't look like ply. So what is that core on the other wood surfaces?
Excellent question and I'd love to know as well. There are a lot of good synthetic materials on the market, with better dimensional stability and stiffness to weight than wood. Let's hope they did their homework and that the veneer does not come peeling off in 10 years.

More broadly, I find the pictures fascinating as it shows that Hinkley has apparently adopted some of the design and construction techniques of "production boats". The forces of marketability and costs at work, it would seem, but that would seem strange against 20,000 feet of carbon fiber and a lifting keel which are not exactly economy-driven choices.

That interior sure looks like it is based around a liner, at least the top half. I would hate to be confronted with changing deck hardware depending on where it was. Maybe it's just the rendering.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:41   #19

You guys never a seen blue-foam/door-skin sandwich before?

Door skin is like 1/8" 3-ply Luan Plywood used for skinning hollow-core doors. Just put some nice Cherry veneer on top, no one will ever know!!!

Nothin wrong with it per se, except that the door skin usually doesn't use a water proof glue. Well, that and the fact that you can punch or kick you way through it pretty easy.

On the up side it is very lightweight. Good luck trying to repair it though, ever seen a hole in a hollow-core door? Usually you replace the door.

Of course, a better bet would be honeycomb or other structural core materials, but that would be a lot more expensive than blue foam from the local builder's supply store.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	95203  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49   #20

Digging a little deeper I was interested to see what I would consider a very near bait-and-switch. They make the claim that "The remainder of the boat's bulkheads have all been cored with Corecell to reduce weight."

Corecell is not blue. Yet very clearly all of this interior cabinetry has a blue foam core. Are people really getting what they think they are paying for? Doubt it.

So, first time out in a seaway someone goes down below to get a winch handle from the jewelry box, slips, and puts a nice star-shaped dent in the cabinetry. How long and how much to have the damage repaired at the Hinckley yard?

My guess is a long time and very expensive.

Also, big pet-peeve of mine is that none of the non-visible wood surfaces has any sort of varnish to protect the wood from moisture. This annoys me because it takes very little time and effort to slap a coat of varnish on something, especially when you don't care about how it looks.

Keep in mind, it's the wood work you don't see and that doesn't get varnished that ends up wet and moldy. Particularly the bits that lay against the hull which we can see in the photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H502.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	95211   Click image for larger version

Name:	H501.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	95212  

Name:	corecell.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	95213  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:01   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Divinycell and Kledgecell are blue/green, and valid coring materials.

It is unlikely Hinckly is using blueboard styrofoam - particularly if they are using poly or vinylester resins, which would dissolve it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:15   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Excellent question and I'd love to know as well. There are a lot of good synthetic materials on the market, with better dimensional stability and stiffness to weight than wood. Let's hope they did their homework and that the veneer does not come peeling off in 10 years.

More broadly, I find the pictures fascinating as it shows that Hinkley has apparently adopted some of the design and construction techniques of "production boats". The forces of marketability and costs at work, it would seem, but that would seem strange against 20,000 feet of carbon fiber and a lifting keel which are not exactly economy-driven choices.

That interior sure looks like it is based around a liner, at least the top half. I would hate to be confronted with changing deck hardware depending on where it was. Maybe it's just the rendering.
Exactly. Some of the dudes I've been arguing with are NOT going to be happy.

To Hinckley I say well-done.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26   #23

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

Many hig tech boats are using syntetic cores in bulkheads, cabinet woodworking etc.. and i dont see nothing wrong with that, saving weight is a must in those boats, this is not the clasic Bermuda from the past, and i dont see any feature in the early stages of the construction similar to a production boat, Carbon hull, bulkheads CF tabed , no liner my 2 cents, you can see in the pics the Cf stringers and beams, Plexus and other metacri glues dont work in CF, i cant see any hint in construction from the low spectrum of production boats....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:29   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I like this Hinkley interior better.
So do I. That's what I expect from Hinkley.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:31   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Maybe they were also unable to render handrails and a rail going down those steps. Gawd, that looks like it would take a gymnast to get to those square doors in any sea.
I see overhead rails.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	95220  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Divinycell and Kledgecell are blue/green, and valid coring materials.

It is unlikely Hinckly is using blueboard styrofoam - particularly if they are using poly or vinylester resins, which would dissolve it.

Mark
You may well be right. If so, why do they say it's all Corecell? Mostly when I have seen the aforementioned products they appear to have a more blue green appearance than the baby blue color of the blue foam.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	construction19.jpg
Views:	3926
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	95221  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:57   #27

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Airex is also blue. In fact, many structural foam cores come in different colors that denote their densities/use. Are you sure Corecell doesn't do the same with theirs?

Perhaps they spec'd Corecell at the beginning, which made it onto their promo sheets, then changed their mind to another structural foam.

Mark

Edit: I just went to Gurit's (maker of corecell) website and see that they make this in a wide range of colors that denote density and application. You can get mauve and lilac also, if you like: http://www.gurit.com/files/documents...hurev10pdf.pdf

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:14   #28

If any of you guys ever followed Dashew's ideas you would see it was about cored bulkheads and furniture, lighter and stronger than marine plywood but also way more expensive. No you will not see this type of construction in entry level production boats as it is just to high tech and very expensive. If you know anything about a carbon fiber sandwich construction you will also know this hull and deck are damn near bullet proof. Some of you have been complaining about how Americans are still in the stone age when it comes to producing boats, well not this baby my friends, this is going to be a hell of a boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:18   #29

OMG! A Hinkley bashing thread? Really?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:21   #30

I'll take a Morris for a lot less money....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda