Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 14:27   #1

Boat: Benetau,Oceanis,48
2014 onan 7.5kw shtting off 7 flashes

Started the generator today and shut right down. 7 flashes indicating no raw water. installed a new impeller. old impeller looked good.
No luck generator start and stopped
Set up a sump pump motor i have onboard with a spare Genset
pump water into the strainer and unit ran fine as long as I was putting water in.
I felt suction in the strainer. Then the suction stopped and started I primed it again with my pump and it has been running for a while. Bit the strainer is not filled

I fired up the boat engine and saw the seawater strainer is filled to the top while running the boat engine.

Why isn't my seawater strainer not filling up on the Genset.??

Do you think it could be the heater exchanger

Thoughts Thanks
vortac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:39   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Re: 2014 onan 7.5kw shtting off 7 flashes

I have a similar genset and had the same error code. I also saw white steam coming out of the raw water exhaust. Also replaced the impeller (it was ok but while was there I put a fresh one in). I checked for impeller bits (or some other blockage) at the heat exchanger inlet just in case and found none.

Had a diesel tech come out and he quickly diagnosed it as the heat exchanger was filled with salt. An overnight acid dip and 200 euros later I was back in business.

Its a bit of a pain to access and the oil filter needs to be removed but once out you can quickly see if its the same issue.
Dtm67 is offline   Reply With Quote