Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 13:07   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS 44FT
2002 SO43DS water muffler failure

After searching online and this board it seems like this is a common problem. My wife and I have had this boat 4 1/2 months now and have added 6kw Northern lights, 3000 watt inverter/charger, 6 group 31 AGMS, 65lb Mantus anchor, new Racor filter system, battery monitoring and then water in the bilge comes along. Interesting that a stainless muffler starts to rust then starts leaking. Jeanneau obviously has a design flaw and I would imagine more and more people will develop this problem. I have to guess it is a high carbon stainless that is rusting. I have the fuel tank drained for removal today and had great difficulty removing the flange/3" pipe before sliding the muffler out. I called the Jeanneau parts guy 2 days ago to find out the cost of a new one but nothing yet. I am a bit concerned about this failing 10 years down the road if we still have the boat, so I am first going to see what it would cost to fabricate a new one out of a better grade of stainless. What have some of the others done on this problem? I saw one member putting in a Volvo muffler but am concerned about the height and distance from the engine and the possibility of getting water running back into the engine, I also thought of getting one made out of fiberglass but am not sure how they would put threads on the tank so you could screw in the flange after it was slid under the engine beds. I will advise as this project proceeds .

I have to say my wife and I love this boat and just have to sort out these issues.

Update, I have the muffler out and it was not for the faint of heart, a very difficult job. The muffler is rusted all the way through on the end and i easily poked my screw driver through, the rest is actually very clean except for another weld that I found leaking after I filled with water. I would advise anyone else with this type of muffler to check the end visible in the front of the engine bed, if it has rust it is ready to fail. Jeanneau just said its out of warranty but this is a bad design and a defective part that they should cover in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Muffler.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	68497  
David Knebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 19:11   #2

So -- this is our muffler--- we are kinda dumbfounded--- Jeanneau hasn't even responded- just bought our boat 4.5 months ago and lucky it didn't fall apart out in the Gulf... Has anyone else seen this fail? We have seen A lot of posts on our owners forum( and we posted this there as well) where people are suspecting leaks- but NO ONE has posted our problem. We've contacted Jeanneau- but I'll be frank- the previous owner went overboard on the benefits of their customer service - however- we have tried to ask several questions and have NEVER gotten a response. We got the previous owners rep- no response- we ask questions of our broker( who actually is the best broker we can recommend) however- when it comes to asking jeanneau versus an answer he can find- it has sucked. Jeanneau has left us out here by ourselves on issues. First we asked about generator installation and their recommendations - we got nothing. Second we wanted the rub rail from jeanneau to replace our rotted teak rub rail- we never got a quote or suggestion of anything- and we asked our jeanneau broker help with this one- now this- three days and nothing later about the muffler.... Needless to say- we still love our boat but for looking for a company to stand behind their boat and be a benefit for the owners- we must say- look elsewhere. We were looking at upgrading to a helia in a few years. At this point there is no way.

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:13   #3

Re: 2002 SO43DS water muffler failure

I would find an engine dealer/installer of the type installed in your boat and get there recommendation. You might also have a look at this companies web site for ideas and possibly advice: Centek Industries - Wet Exhaust Systems, Genset Pollution Control - Wet Exhaust Products It looks like the muffler rests in a puddle where non-metallic would fare best. Hopefully there is space for the muffler to go in with the nipples already installed as they are generally integral to the fiberglass type.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:42   #4

Wow I wish my wife would say how she really felt LOL .

Ok so here is the response from Jeanneau:

Good morning David,

Delivery is air freight normally less than five days The part is available and is in stock in France, the part is $1612.50 plus shipping and sales tax.

Part number is

975085 water muffler S S 18L SO43DS

Ok so my question that I asked was, is this the same muffler or an upgraded version? I feel Jeanneau should be responsible in some way for this obvious defective part, I also said I saw some one on the Jeanneau board was quoted $350 a year ago. I will probably try and fit a fiberglass unit under the Aft bunks like another Jeanneau owner did with his SO43DS.

I will keep you advised.

Dave
Old 29-03-2016, 08:13   #5

Hi Folks,

I know this post is 3 years old but I'm hoping you're still using this forum. Did you ever get replacement rub rail inserts? We have the same boat as you and want to replace our old teak inserts with vinyl or something similar. Any help appreciated. There are a lot of vinyl insert manufacturers but we haven't managed to find the correct size or profile.
Tsotsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 08:26   #6

Actually we sold our boat last year and have found ourselves missing it. We never replaced the rub rails just took out the wood. I found a local would working shop that would have duplicated them but it was not inexpensive. We did find a replacement that we thought would have worked from Taco, you will have to visit there site and check the profiles and sizes.

Good luck
Old 29-03-2016, 08:31   #7

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

I am in same situation the only difference is mine is a 1986 CS 30 and is no longer in production for years. I am in need of finding a replacement for mine in the outside chance mine can't be fix. I plan on using "marine tex" to seal if i can even get to it and get it out.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 04:36   #8

Thanks David, we've looked at Taco and can't find a size that fits but we'll keep looking.
Another question? Did you have the common issue on these boats of the mast step support subsiding?
Tsotsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler, water