Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 10:52   #1

1985 Southerly 100 point house (32')

Does anyone have experience of this boat and can you tell me how comfortable it would be for a single person live aboard...and also solo sailing please? A friend who is a live aboard hasn't seen one, but says a 32' would just be too small to be comfortable?
Thoughts please, anyone?
Thank you,
Carole.
Yorkshire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:27   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: 1985 Southerly 100 point house (32')

Carole,

My advice is not to decide based on someone else's input. You need personally to evaluate the space in that boat. People vary a lot in their notions of "cozy" vs. "cramped." Another issue is berth size. If you are Lyn Pardey sized, you won't worry about it, but if you are a 6'2" (or taller) Amazon, it might matter to you. There is an art to living comfortably in small spaces. I'd say if you can handle a backpacking tent (that level of confined space), a 30 ft. boat would be just fine.

To put this in perspective, Jim & I sailed a Yankee 30 to HI and back to SF, living on it during that time, and the lack of space proved to be enough of a problem that we bought a 36 footer to go long term cruising in. But for vacation and weekend cruising, it was fine!

We met couples cruising on boats in the low 20 foot range, so I both know it's possible, and tend to think peoples' desires for bigger boats is in part a sign of the times, so to speak, even a fad. Even detrimental, as bigger boats take up more room -- and the space available is limited.

Be that as it may, for you, you will be well served by looking at a variety of 30 footers,
imagine being in a lumpy seaway in them, and see if they're cozy enough to keep you safe when loss of balance is a potential issue. Also, look for handholds you can use to help stay upright.

Ann
Old 09-11-2015, 12:48   #3

That's really helpful Anne, thank you
Yorkshire Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Carole,

My advice is not to decide based on someone else's input. You need personally to evaluate the space in that boat. People vary a lot in their notions of "cozy" vs. "cramped." Another issue is berth size. If you are Lyn Pardey sized, you won't worry about it, but if you are a 6'2" (or taller) Amazon, it might matter to you. There is an art to living comfortably in small spaces. I'd say if you can handle a backpacking tent (that level of confined space), a 30 ft. boat would be just fine.

To put this in perspective, Jim & I sailed a Yankee 30 to HI and back to SF, living on it during that time, and the lack of space proved to be enough of a problem that we bought a 36 footer to go long term cruising in. But for vacation and weekend cruising, it was fine!

We met couples cruising on boats in the low 20 foot range, so I both know it's possible, and tend to think peoples' desires for bigger boats is in part a sign of the times, so to speak, even a fad. Even detrimental, as bigger boats take up more room -- and the space available is limited.

Be that as it may, for you, you will be well served by looking at a variety of 30 footers,
imagine being in a lumpy seaway in them, and see if they're cozy enough to keep you safe when loss of balance is a potential issue. Also, look for handholds you can use to help stay upright.

Ann
Yes, get out and look at some boats, things will become much more clear.... For a couple, I found 30-32 feet to be very manageable at sea and comfortable living aboard.... but was younger then.... and not working while living aboard. If working you need a shower stall. If working an office job, you may need room for an ironing board.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:41   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

I have a friend here who has a small Southerly (about 30ft by the looks). He is very happy with the boat. He lives aboard but he also has other places to keep his otherwise stuff.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:54   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We have friends, a couple that have happily lived aboard a 32' for about 3 years. As Ann stated your physical size will be as important in your choice as your definition of "cozy". We're on a behemoth right now, but in my heart of hearts I know I would have been just fine on our 36.5' boat.

The more boats you go on the more your tastes will become clear to you - nobody else's opinion matters. Boat shopping on your free days is more fun than anything else I can think of! Go and try several different ones on for size and make sure you're by yourself down below so you can get a feel for the fit. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:57   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Carole,

This is something only you can answer based on your own lifestyle and preferences. I once met two couples living and cruising happily on a 27' boat and I met a single couple that felt cramped on a 40' boat.

For a single person 32' Southerly at least for my preferences would be fine. I wouldn't want to go under 30'.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 16:28   #8

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Carole;
In Southwest Florida, you will need a shallow draft boat to visit the Keys and sail all along the Gulf Coast. Around 4 foot draft would be best.
Start looking for those on Sailboatdata.com after walking through marinas looking at boats with style and lines that please you.
For a very roomy, well built, seaworthy and inexpensive boat that is easily available with low maintenance and easy to handle (except docking because of it's full keel), look for an upgraded Morgan Out Island 33 in good shape.
These boats are heavy, beamy, comfortable motion and dry at sea, have the space of a 38 footer and lots of storage, while being easy to handle because it's not too long, simple sail layout, shorter mast to go under bridges on the Okeechobee Waterway to the Bahamas and have a large, dependable engine. Priced around $20k.
People consider these to be slow and not sail well. They may not sail as close to the wind as fin keel ones, but move well even in the light winds where you sail.
Take your time and choose any boat that has been upgraded ( electrical, engine, plumbing, rigging, etc. ) and is well maintained. Get a survey for yourself and the Insurance Co. to find faults. All boats need to have something to be done to them.
Good wishes on your boat hunting!.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 19:28   #9

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

On my last boat hunting tour early this year, I looked at a Southerly in Daytona, can't remember the length exactly, but thinking it was 32. It is still for sale when I look in that size on yachtworld.

It was a solid boat, but older. The centerboard made me hesitate. Fairly nice boat though.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote