Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 16:00   #1

1981 Hunter 25

Well, I did it. I finally pulled the trigger on a starter boat for the wife and I! We have been spending some time out at Lake Carlyle in Illinois and swung by Boulder Yacht Club since, that’s where the boats are! We were wandering around (hey, we just like being near the water) and spotted this little boat on the end of the dock. It was dirty, without question, had been sitting alone for some time, and needed TLC! The good news was, it was floating! Truly, the boat isn’t as bad as it looks in the pictures.

The For Sale sign had no phone number listed on it so we thought we would just stop by the marina office on our way out and ask about it. Before we got too far, the owner had spotted us looking her over and was making his way to us to ask if we would want to take a closer look at her and we took him up on his offer.

He told us that he was asking $1,700 for the boat as is with a running Tohatsu 9.9 outboard and what we see with it. In addition to that, he said he also had extra sails [jib and spinnaker], Bimini top frame and canvas, new electrical panel, new compass, Magma 14.5" gas grill with cover and a new bilge pump. He then added that while he was asking $1,700, he would probably take $1,500, no less.

Now, I do not go to the marinas without a checklist of things to look for when considering a used boat and the tools to perform the mini-survey. The list I used was from another member on this site and it is comprehensive. We looked the little boat over for well over an hour checking everything I could get to!

Next Monday my wife, oldest son and I will meet with the seller and the folks at the marina to haul it out of the water, pressure wash the bottom and let our son (been working on fiberglass boats for a while now) look it over and he give us his opinion on the hull overall (through holes included).

Some of the big items on the list that I know will need to be addressed are the electrical and the running rigging. The electrical wiring in the craft now is old and brittle and there is no shore power connection that I saw. I plan to go ahead and replace the breaker panel along with all the wiring and receptacles. While I’m at it I’ll go ahead, swap out all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, wire up some new battery boxes, and add a solar charger.

The standing rigging is solid but the running rigging will need replacing. Thank God it’s a small boat! I’m sure I’ll replace all the sheets and call it good, no reason not to.

For now, however, we are going to clear her out and clean! Top, bottom, port and starboard, nothing will go untouched! We need to get it as clean as we can in order to really see what we have in store for us!

My wife already has some fabric for the cushions and I have a fair amount of cherry plywood in the shop to really do the interior some justice.

After we looked it all over and got an idea as to what we need to do, we all sat down on another club members boat and shared a beer, or two, or… After a while I told the seller I’d give him $1,200 cash (contingent on the haul out inspection) for the little boat. He countered with $1,300 and we made the deal.

For sure, more to follow!
Old 30-09-2013, 16:21   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Well, I did it. I finally pulled the trigger on a starter boat for the wife and I! We have been spending some time out at Lake Carlyle in Illinois and swung by Boulder Yacht Club since, that’s where the boats are! We were wandering around (hey, we just like being near the water) and spotted this little boat on the end of the dock. It was dirty, without question, had been sitting alone for some time, and needed TLC! The good news was, it was floating! Truly, the boat isn’t as bad as it looks in the pictures. The For Sale sign had no phone number listed on it so we thought we would just stop by the marina office on our way out and ask about it. Before we got too far, the owner had spotted us looking her over and was making his way to us to ask if we would want to take a closer look at her and we took him up on his offer. He told us that he was asking $1,700 for the boat as is with a running Tohatsu 9.9 outboard and what we see with it. In addition to that, he said he also had extra sails [jib and spinnaker], Bimini top frame and canvas, new electrical panel, new compass, Magma 14.5" gas grill with cover and a new bilge pump. He then added that while he was asking $1,700, he would probably take $1,500, no less. Now, I do not go to the marinas without a checklist of things to look for when considering a used boat and the tools to perform the mini-survey. The list I used was from another member on this site and it is comprehensive. We looked the little boat over for well over an hour checking everything I could get to! Next Monday my wife, oldest son and I will meet with the seller and the folks at the marina to haul it out of the water, pressure wash the bottom and let our son (been working on fiberglass boats for a while now) look it over and he give us his opinion on the hull overall (through holes included). Some of the big items on the list that I know will need to be addressed are the electrical and the running rigging. The electrical wiring in the craft now is old and brittle and there is no shore power connection that I saw. I plan to go ahead and replace the breaker panel along with all the wiring and receptacles. While I’m at it I’ll go ahead, swap out all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs, wire up some new battery boxes, and add a solar charger. The standing rigging is solid but the running rigging will need replacing. Thank God it’s a small boat! I’m sure I’ll replace all the sheets and call it good, no reason not to. For now, however, we are going to clear her out and clean! Top, bottom, port and starboard, nothing will go untouched! We need to get it as clean as we can in order to really see what we have in store for us! My wife already has some fabric for the cushions and I have a fair amount of cherry plywood in the shop to really do the interior some justice. After we looked it all over and got an idea as to what we need to do, we all sat down on another club members boat and shared a beer, or two, or… After a while I told the seller I’d give him $1,200 cash (contingent on the haul out inspection) for the little boat. He countered with $1,300 and we made the deal. For sure, more to follow!
She looks like she has great potential and for $1,300, well worth the fun of fixing her up.

Enjoy!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:06   #3

Re: 1981 Hunter 25

We went out Saturday with the intentions of putting in a good hard day's work cleaning the boat but it rained on us and it rained hard! Still, we did get some work done inside the boat.

First off, we also found out that the boat is actually a 1982!

This is pretty much how it looked when we bought her. A lot of stuff everywhere and not a whole lot of cleaning by the PO. In all fairness, the PO does have health issues and doesn't get around too well.

After moving stuff out to the dumpster we found the sole!

And then we cleaned it!

We relocated the cockpit cushions outside while we cleaned inside. We brought them home for a good machine washing!
Old 08-10-2013, 12:18   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Mac,
If there are no delamination/core issues of any significance in the deck and cabintop, you made a very good buy. I believe your boat has the Seidelmann designed hull which is a very fast design and will be very fun to sail. Does it have the shoal draft or the fin keel? Good luck in your new boat and good sailing.
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 18:37   #5

She is solid as a rock, just dirty! It is a shoal draft at 2'11" which I like when Carlyle is low (like now).
Old 15-10-2013, 18:39   #6

By the way, she is an '82 according to the title, not an '81.
Old 15-10-2013, 18:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Man you guys did great..your going to have fun now ...good luck and fair winds...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 06:35   #8

We got back out to the marina yesterday for a couple of hours. The wife worked on the V-berth and I scrubbed the starboard side topside. It took a lot of scrubbing but she is coming clean! I also did a part of the cockpit so Chey (Mrs Mac) could have a clean place to sit.

A week from Wednesday we are going to have her hauled out and placed on the cradle and I'll head back out with my pressure washer to finish the hull.

Before...

After...

I can see I'll have some gelcoat work to do in the cockpit as well.
Old 28-10-2013, 15:07   #9

Boat: Tartan TOCK

Congratulations! My wife and I are going through the process of finding our first boat right now. It's fun to check out boats, but we really just want to get one and get out on the water! Good luck and have fun!
Hard A Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 16:13   #10

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'
Congratts! I'm thinking come spring time or close to it will have a nice kitty saved up for our first one.

Looks great and a good find hope you have a lot of fun.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 17:46   #11

Hey Mr Mac. Will you please email me srmaier9@yahoo.com.. I have your hunter 25 you bought from boulder....Thanks Scott
srmaier9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter