Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 20:50   #1

1981 Cape Dory 28

Anyone have any experience with a Cape Dory 28? What do you think?

1981 Cape Dory 28 sailboat
NewSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 04:06   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hi New....
Sorry but I've never owned or sailed one myself but... during my time in the US I worked at a B'yard to pay off some bills and went on a couple and they were nice boats...
I also know its a well respected name over there.... hopefully someone will pop along with a more in depth knowledge of them... if the Survey's reasonable go for it... she looks like a nice boat... only real complaints I've heard is with the decks.
Good Luck...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:22   #3

Hello,

I do not have a Cape Dory, however I have been in search of my dream boat and the Cape Dories were at the top of the list until quite a few people talked me out of a Cape Dory because it wasn't going to be a great boat for the area and experience level I am currently at. I would give a few more details so that the more experienced forum members can answer the question for you. Whatever you do take your time buying a boat if your new. Once I started sailing on a lot of different kinds of boats I totally changed my outlook. I went from wanting a Really nice cruising boat to something fast and responsive. I'll upgrade in a few years to something like a cape dory when I'm ready to Cruise. It is my understanding that a boat choice has to do with many factors such as area, type of sailing,experience level and budget.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 05:46   #4

Boat: Cape Dory
If you like Cape Dories (I do -- I sail a 330), go to the for sale section of the cape dory owners group (capedory.org) there are quite a few 27's and 28's for sale and lots of people who can answer questions about them.

In general, they are modified full keel boats that sail well in part because they are narrow. As a result, iinterior space for a given LOA is reduced. They are fairly heavily built and definitely envisioned as offshore boats (a 28 completed a 3 yr circumnav last year). The bronze fittings and interior finish are pretty well done. Like any boat, there are a handful of issues to check for when you inspect one. Best to check the owners group to learn more about the 28 specifically. Nut if you have specific questions -- ask away. BTW -- 28's seem to go for anywhere between 10K and 25K and the price doesn't always reflect condition (I saw a gorgeous well equipped 28 sell for 10K a few months ago)
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 16:12   #5

Boat: CS 36t
These boats are great boats for the right use, just make sure that your needs fit what it is good at. As Mambo said, they are well built, offshore capable boats. In my mind, the person who will like a Cape Dory is someone who likes the gentle motion of a full keel boat and the ruggedness of the design while not minding sort of roughing it. The boats are certainly not sporty but they are surprisingly fast and just feel good to me to sail.

I have a 30 but they are not all that different and the only thing that I wish was different was if they had lowered the sole belowdecks about 2" since I can't fully stand up being 6'4".

I would be happy to try to answer any specific questions as would anyone on the Cape Dory board I am sure. I actually bought my boat by watching the for sale section of that forum.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 16:34   #6

Cape Dory

Thanks for all your replies---I appreciate it.

Here is what I want in my next boat. (My first one was a West Whight Potter and although it was great.....it was too small for where I was using it)

Anyway, for my next boat I need:
1.) will be basing it in Northern Chesapeake for a few years. I will use it for overnight sails on the bay and to develop my sailing skills and courage level.
When that is up, I want to take it out into the ocean just a mile out as I have always been on protected waterways, lakes, etc.

3.) I want the boat to have a good diesel motor. I will be motoring down the Intercoastal to Florida.

4.) I want to make the 42 mile trip thru the Gulf from Miami to Bimini and back. Eventually, down to Turks and Caicos and on down into the Carribean.

5.) I would also like to be able to go from Florida to Yucatan Mexico.

6.) I like the 'sturdiness' of what I have read about Cape Dory. Even if I don't sail across an ocean...I like the idea of having a boat that could. Safety is also important to me as my temperament is sometimes prone to anxiety. I don;t want a tender boat or one that feels so small on the water as my old Potter 15.

7.) I prefer a tiller to a wheel.

8.) I would like to be able to live for weeks/months at a time in it-- I am not an 18 year old kid used to sleeping in my car I am middle-aged and kinda spoiled.

I want a Catamaran but cannot afford even a used one. So, I don't want a racy heeling alot at sail speedy boat. I just want a sturdy and stable boat I can coastal cruise in with a good diesel motor and a tiller.
NewSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 18:08   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I like the design (except for too low coamings and a bit too low stern) (sure - they are not too low, just too low to my liking). I like the designer and his other designs. I like the long keel and the moderate draft. I like the wood inside and the plastic outside. I would use such a design as my first serious boat. Just find a clean, sound one, beef her up and off you go to Polynesia (or to the nearest bay).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 16:07   #8

Boat: CS 36t
Here are my reactions to your intended uses.

1) This would be a perfectly good boat for sailing in the Chesapeake. The light summer airs might be a little frustrating but Cape Dories do quite well given their hull type in light airs.

3) These boats came with a few diesel engines from the factory. The most common is the Volvo md7a. It isn't a great engine but it works fine and is quite reliable. The most common problem that I know of is restriction in raw water passages which can be cleaned out with some patience.

4) This boat is well suited to this type of trip. The boat is very seaworthy, doesn't have too much draft and has good ventilation.

5) The boat would be capable of this trip although you would need to plan it out carefully. There are many stories of much bigger boats struggling on the return trip.

6) The boats don't have a lot of primary stability but they have good secondary stability. The only time that I find it annoying is certain times on the anchor when the period of the waves is just right it starts to roll a lot.

7) Obviously this fits although a few 28's have been converted to wheel.

8) I would call the area down below very comfortable but not spacious. The settees are actually extremely comfortable for me and the boat has a nice atmosphere to sit down below in. However, the actual space is pretty limited but storage is pretty good.

All in all, the boat would fit your needs pretty well in my opinion. There are certainly other boats out there that would fit your needs as well but this certainly would not be a bad choice.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 16:20   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post

... Volvo md7a. It isn't a great engine ...
It is not?

Well, then at least it was great when it was new.

;-)
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory