Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2012, 18:41   #1

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31
1980 O'DAY 28, I think a good deal

So I have posted saying I was looking at a Hunter 27 and an O'Day 25 (this will be my first sail boat)....problem is both were fairly far away. Ironically I ran into someone today that is selling their O'DAY 28 because they bought it a year ago for their kids to learn to sail, and their kids would rather play video games, and they don't want to pay for the slip anymore. They are asking $3500 for it.

No for the But, but not a big but I don't think.

They recently had a survey done on it (last year) and it came back valued at $13,000. Two things wrong with it.

1) It has lost about 3 feet of rub rail on one side and a foot on the other. This was caused because the slip it was in was too small and a hurricane came through.

2) (I will post what he sent me) " The second item that needs to be taken care of is the mounting plate for the Edson pedestal steering. Beneath the deck is a plate that attaches to the pedestal and has two adjustable pulleys that guide the cables to the tiller. The plate was original and had corroded, but was not discovered buys or the person doing the survey. When Hurricane Irene came thru neighbors secured the boat I the bay. However, the did not release the tiller from the steering. It caused further damage. The cables can be put back on, but the steering is soft. I was going the have a new plate made or order a new one from Edson. Edson only sells a complete plate with pulleys for about $380. I believe."

Other than that it is in fine shape, it has been repainted and I have seen fantastic pictures of it. Are these easy fixes. What really makes this a good buy in my opinion is it includes Edison pedestal steering. Garmin depth finder. Marine radio. 9.9 evenrude outboard on new motor mount. and the hill was repainted when they purchased it.

Let me know what you think, also this boat is literally an hour from me.

Thanks again!
-Aaron
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 20:05   #2

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Re: 1980 O'DAY 28, I think a good deal

It would be nice to take the boat sailing for a few hours. However, the clagged steering will prevent that from taking place. A new mounting plate, possibly a little strengthening of the cockpit sole where it bolts in (although this may not be required) and a check of the hull deck seam where the rubbing strake has been removed and then, for a lousy $3800, you have a boat!

The thing is $3800 is very little money and worth gambling with. You may need new sails, may need to do something with the engine, may need to replace some components of rigging. But, the O'day is a decent boat with a good reputation and spending a further $5000 on it will probably make it a good sailer at what will still be a bargain price.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 20:15   #3
cruiser

I paid $3000 for an O'Day 20 back in 1980 and needed to refit the entire boat. When finished, I had a real gem for under $5500 in 1980 dollars with an additional 200 hours of my labor into it.

And you're worried about spending $3500 on a 28 foot O'Day?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 20:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I paid $3000 for an O'Day 20 back in 1980 and needed to refit the entire boat. When finished, I had a real gem for under $5500 in 1980 dollars with an additional 200 hours of my labor into it.

And you're worried about spending $3500 on a 28 foot O'Day?
lol not worried about spending it at all...just wondering if it's repairable easily.....how important are the rub rails?
Old 28-10-2012, 21:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post

Let me know what you think, also this boat is literally an hour from me.

Thanks again!
-Aaron
Get over there and get over there quick. This boat may not last - then carefully take a good hard look at the boat.

I have a survey checklist I can send you (PM with your email needed) and if you are semi-skilled you can take a look yourself - remove your rose colored glasses and be as impartial as you can be.

In regards to rub rail - I am not sure what you are he is really talking about. Pics of this condition would be nice but unless there is underlying structural damage, replacing this kind of stuff is not that difficult.

A quick search of O'days in FL from 25-30 feet result in a wide range of prices. Regardless of the $13,000 (I suspect insurance) survey I think you are looking at a maximum $8,000 boat.

After you see it - compare it to this one.

1980 O'Day Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 21:51   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

There is an Oday 272 le 1988 model for sale in NC that has a yanmar 2gm20f , some electronic equitment,no damage from what I could see but ,it does have a coral reef stuck to the bottom of it! I think the lady would sale it for $1500-$2000 or somewhere there about...No trailer...They offered it with a wheel or tiller and this one has the tiller...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:05   #7

Are you sure you're talking about a "rub-rail" and not the hull-to-deck joint? Damaged rub-rail is nothing. Damaged hull-to-deck joint is definitely SOMETHING!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 11:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Are you sure you're talking about a "rub-rail" and not the hull-to-deck joint? Damaged rub-rail is nothing. Damaged hull-to-deck joint is definitely SOMETHING!
They said rub rail....going to take a look for myself after this hurricane passes.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:33   #9

Boat: IP 31' sloop

Bluewater Bay Yacht Sales has a 25' Oday, three good sails, rebuilt trailer, looks good, asking 5k, probably will take 4k. Located in Destin Fl.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:40   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Get over there and get over there quick. This boat may not last - then carefully take a good hard look at the boat.

I have a survey checklist I can send you (PM with your email needed) and if you are semi-skilled you can take a look yourself - remove your rose colored glasses and be as impartial as you can be.

In regards to rub rail - I am not sure what you are he is really talking about. Pics of this condition would be nice but unless there is underlying structural damage, replacing this kind of stuff is not that difficult.

A quick search of O'days in FL from 25-30 feet result in a wide range of prices. Regardless of the $13,000 (I suspect insurance) survey I think you are looking at a maximum $8,000 boat.

After you see it - compare it to this one.

1980 O'Day Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
at that price, you could almost buy sight unseen. I don't think you can loose at that price!
Old 29-10-2012, 20:23   #11

The item I have to replace on the epson is called the an adjustable idler. Well just the plate, not the pulleys, but it comes with the pulleys and I cannot find just the plate, so have to by this item. Anyone know how hard this would be to install or how much it would cost to have it installed.

Adjustable Idlers : Edson Marine Store
Old 29-10-2012, 20:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

AirBoyzT - Have you seen the boat yet?

The mounting of that item looks like a straighforward bolt in. However...

You really need to poke your head under the floor and get some eyeballs on it.

My question is if it really has failed due to corrosion, that indicates water got to it, that indicates the floor leaks, that could mean a soft floor, that could mean a structural repair to the floor.

You mentioned soft steering - Do you know what the owner means by that?

You can assess the pedestal in a couple of ways -

- Visual inspection of the corrosion and surrounding mounting area
- Poke with a solid but blunt object around the base of the pedestal
- Jiggle/shake the pedestal - there really should be no discernible movement and should feel solid - if it does move check whether the floor is flexing or the pedestal is flexing because the idler plate is not longer doing it's part to secure the pedestal

Even if you have to have someone fix the floor and remount the pedestal I'd guess $1,000 + the part.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:06   #13

Waiting for this hurricane to pass then going to see the boat, just planning ahead.....gotta figure how to get the money....I have a $10,000 check coming, but it won't be for another month and I don't want this to sell before then, so I guess I'll have to ask family if anyone can spare until then.
Old 29-10-2012, 23:22   #14

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Simply Irristable!

Good thing you are getting ten grand. As old boats go, the difference between the price of the boat, and your inheritance will easily slip slide into that giant hole in the water.

Remember a group from the 80's, called Robert Palmer, with his lady dancers in his videos? One song has this line, which applies to boats, as well as women.

"She's so fine, there's no telling where the money went"

Enjoy your boat!

Old 04-11-2012, 20:12   #15

Part out the wheel steering and go with a tiller!
jokinjoel is offline   Reply With Quote