Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:40   #1

1980-85 Endeavour 40 CC vs 1979 Hughes 40 CC Sloop

Sailors, which boat do you prefer? An endeavour 40CC (1980-1985) or a 1979 Hughes 40CC designed by Sparkman and Stevens.

I'm stuck between the two. The endeavour definitely felt more comfortable, but they are a little out of my price range if their tanks are fixed. The Hughes is a sloop but feels a little more cramped for a 40' vessel. Are there any differences between sailing performances?
jpmccros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 1980-85 Endeavour 40 CC vs 1979 Hughes 40 CC Sloop

sparkman and stevens --no contest.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01   #3

Zeehag, any way you could elaborate on your strong opinion? I don't know much about the Hughes boat, but I know some about the endeavor.
Old 03-08-2013, 13:28   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sparkman and stevens have an excellent track record. comfort and sailing ability.
i do no tknow who is the designer or are the designers of endeavor and thew only design of endeavor i was on was a 37 open cabin...these oil can and are not so good in seas. other than that--if it were me--i would prolly keep searching until i found something i didnt have to ask others if i liked.
if one needs ask other souls what it is he likes, there is no passion for the whatever it is ye see, and therefore, it wont be something that actually makes you happy.
sail until you find that which you enjoy and do not have to ask other folks for opinions on.....just sayin.....

before i settled for this boat, i was looking all over the map and sailing whatever i could with whomever i could find sailing.
i sailed ericsons--heck i own one of those, and i sailed seidelmanns and i sailed bayfields and i sailed irwins and challengers and coronados and catalinas and ......even clipper marines and columbias....lol

so.
what i say is --if you want to love your boat and enjoy it for loong time---sail everything and when you find something you are passionate about, buy it.

donot trust us we lie..rodlmao...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:02   #5

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so.
what i say is --if you want to love your boat and enjoy it for loong time---sail everything and when you find something you are passionate about, buy it.
Alternatively, don't sail anything at all, buy once and stick with what you have. Ignorance is bliss.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32   #6

Ha thanks guys. I've tried my best to remove all emotions for buying this boat as that is how I normally make most of my decisions. However I have felt a good vibe with this boat but have kept it down because there is a lot of things that can happen between the time I "pick" the boat and the moment I receive it at my marina. Once that process is complete I know I'll be jumping up and down! But its still a long road ahead. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49   #7

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold

I went down the coast last year from Squamish to San Fran on an Endeavour 42 cc, cutter rigged ketch. While she wasn' t a lot of fun in heavy seas, she is a big comfortable boat in all other conditions. Sails very nicely on a reach, and DDW but struggles a little going to weather. She is very well built, lots of storage, fitted out very well with water maker, genset and even a washer/dryer combo unit. Big freezer and refer. Yanmar 4 cylinder, not sure if it was original or not. Very solid boat. I know her owners love her very much. If they weren't emotionally attached to the boat before they purchased, they definitely are now.
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:53   #8

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
We've got the 'Hughes 40', though ours was called a Northstar 80/20 and it's a ketch rig. Magnificent boat. They were designed to be ketch, so I don't know how the sloop will be. Ours sails nicely. Everything is really well laid out inside, very accessible. I don't see how you could call it cramped. Mum started a group about them here, not much about them though.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:06   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Fatty Goodlander circunavigate with a huges 38, i follow many of the reports writed in At all sea and other sailing newspapers, the boat is probed to sustain really bad weather, and yes is a S&s design, and i be tempted with the 40 cc from endeavour, but after looking the boat at the dock from left to right right to left several times i conclude is not something for me,i dont like the lines and several problems with ss tanks enclosed under the cabin sole and other few problems finally kick me off from this boat, for sure the 40 cc is more confy, hig cockpit could be very dry, winches are close to the helm, and the aft cabin is nice.... Between the 2 i take the huges....
My opinion.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:47   #10

Thanks neilpride, I believe the endeavor is more comfortable, but the Hughes just seems like she would be great to sail everywhere. One of the best feature about this boat is the galley setup. If cooking is your top priority, this is one of the best setups. The camped feeling that I am having is the headroom is about 6'3", and I am 6'2. Wearing shoes I still don't hit the top but it is close. The ceiling actually has a little move space that can be modified to raise up a little more. One part that can't be fix is the hallway leading to the aft states room. The headroom is about 4' and you definitely have to duck to get through. That's the compromise for a lower cockpit. All lines lead to the cabin and all sails are roller furled. The aft cabin has a hatch to go to the cockpit which in my opinion makes it safer for when someone is on watch and the sleeping person could yell out to make sure everything is OK. The endeavor doesn't have this feature.
Old 05-08-2013, 17:28   #11

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmccros View Post
One part that can't be fix is the hallway leading to the aft states room. The headroom is about 4' and you definitely have to duck to get through.
After the 50th time hitting your head you'll start to catch on.
Old 05-08-2013, 17:33   #12

Ha very true. I'm going to treat it as a morning stretch.
Old 01-06-2014, 17:25   #13

Boat: 1988 Huges 40

My Hughes 40 (1988) is a sloop. The boat sails well and certainly is not cramped by my standards - wife, crew one large dog and one small dog. The sloop's mainsail is not easy to subdue in a blow; it is huge. The biggest problem with mine is it has a bow sprit but no inner jib. The foretriangle is huge. If we do anything more serious than the Carribean, I will have to add an inner forestay with furler.
The boat is incredibly solid and well constructed, overbuilt; it won't win races but it is comfortable and safe. It does not like tight marinas. "Intrada"
larryschnellfl is offline   Reply With Quote