Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 21:04   #1

1978 Catalina 30 advice

Hello folks.
Been reading the forum and trying to learn as much as I can from everyone.
Also been looking for a boat but not much out there that I liked.
We are looking for a boat to learn to sail see how we like it. Before we take the plunge to go sailing and cruising. Its even more of my wife dream then my.

I came across this Catalina on craiglist

https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d...138275416.html

I text the guy and basically the boat is in dry storage for a long while on a trailer.
when they but it there the engine worked. maybe needs paint and new lines. sails are old but no tears or rips. It has the catalina smile but its "only 5in nothing like the keel will fall off" his exact words.
Is it something that even worth to consider? it been up for sale for a very long time.

I have learned that all boats need only a little TLC to make them perfect again according to every owner when asked. That is until you drive there to look at them and all you can see is a wreck that needs. Major interior repair bottom paint, electrical work, sails and engine that been dead for the last few years. Some that been lived in and they look it and smell it.
Come on people the least you can do is clean it somewhat............
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 21:19   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: 1978 Catalina 30 advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
Its even more of my wife dream then my.

Are you trying to kill that dream in its infancy?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 22:34   #3

Hey Lost Horizons.
Talk about straight to the point. I will listen to the advice.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2020, 04:25   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Atomic 4 did it for me. I want a diesel in the c30.

The c30 is a solid boat. The mast compression post rotting is a known and big problem. Rusted keel bolts is next. Then old rigging. To fix all three is $10,000.

Like anything, know what to look for.

If this one has none of those problems, just the atomic 4 I don’t like, it’s a great boat.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:32   #5

I'm with Tetepare. Stay away from gas engines if you can, and a Catalina 30 in good condition is a lovely starter boat.

Good luck, Fireant!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:06   #6

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I'm in agreement with the gang..lots of C-30's out there, and they come up for sale fairly often. Wait for a diesel and better condition...savings up front often get eaten away in short order fixing what's been neglected.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:27   #7

Thanks everyone.
I will pass on this one not looking for a money pit or something that needs work for the next 6 months of weekends.
With only 5in of a smile i'm afraid of rusted bolts from water getting in there.
My heart is not set on any particular brand, just a good boat to learn and use.

Thank you all
Old 10-08-2020, 07:32   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The comments are great. At newer, better Catalina 30 may be more expensive, but you can expect to sell it for close to what you buy it for. There are so many you can determine a fair price. I'm afraid the boat you are looking at it will teach you about restoration and not sailing and cruising. You may also find you put a fair amount of money into it to get it to "sailing and cruising" only to find when you want to trade up that the money spent is not recoverable.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:12   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
.................I came across this Catalina on craiglist........Come on people the least you can do is clean it somewhat............
Others might disagree, but a sailboat listed on Craiglist is generally a wreck, neglected and a project boat since they cannot attract a buyer from reputable boat advertising sites like yachtworld, sailboatlistings.com, etc. However, if you are willing to take on a project boat then go for it just be aware of the cost and time to make it sail / motor worthy.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:17   #10

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
We are looking for a boat to learn to sail see how we like it. Before we take the plunge to go sailing and cruising. Its even more of my wife dream then my.

https://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/d...138275416.html
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of boat hunting! There is a lot to consider as others have already pointed out. There are plenty of other sites that list things to look for when buying a used boat, and there are a lot of things you have not mentioned that will help you get a better answer. Don Casey has a good book about what to look for in a used boat, and there are plenty of others who have good advice. This link provides a great reference on what to look for:
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection

First, the Catalina 30 is a great boat, and this one MAY be a good deal. If it is not too far away or too much of a hassle, go look at it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It sounds like this will be your first boat. IF true, you will learn an awful lot by fixing things yourself. As you point out, all boats need some work. The less expensive the boat, the more likely it is that it will need more work than a more expensive boat. What is your budget?

Since it is a starter boat, you will have to compromise more than you will on your cruising boat.

Do NOT be afraid of the Atomic 4 engine or of gas engines. Yes, diesels are generally better for cruising, but you state you will be learning. In some ways a gas engine is better for day sailing and learning. A general rule of thumb is that diesels do better when run for longer times whereas a gas engine is better for running for short times. If you are day sailing you will fire it up, cruise out of the marina, and then shut it off after an hour or two. The Atomic is rugged, inexpensive, easy to work on, and has a good parts availability. Again, I prefer diesels but the Atomic gas engine has been around for a long time and has proven itself to be a good engine.

The risk of a gas vapor explosion is real, but not something that needs to prevent you from using it. There are a huge number of people who use gas engines with no issues. Common sense and good maintenance will prevent problems. I personally have sailed on other boats with gas engines quite a bit and have never had an issue.

While I am sure that there are other, better boats out there, don't dismiss this one out of hand. It may be a bad deal, but it may not. Keep in mind that it is as important to know what you don't want as it is to know what you want. Looking at a lot of boats will help you figure that out as well as figure out what is available, what you will need to fix, and what you can live with.

It is important to remember that there is maintenance, and there is restoration. Every starter boat will need to balance these two out. Can you live with faded cushions? Can you live with dull gelcoat? The engine, the wiring, the rigging, the sails, etc. are the more important things and require maintenance. The head will also be very important given that your wife wants this more than you do!

Most people don't understand that the first two to four years will feel like the financial hemorrhaging will never end. It will eventually and you will then enjoy it even more. The first year or two in particular requires patience. Often a trip will be cut short or cancelled since something broke. You will eventually get it all sorted out. Don't let it get to you.

Good luck with your hunt and feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss things over the phone.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:19   #11

Boat: Hunter 46

Also when I went to purchase my first sailboat, a Catalina 30, I also looked on Craiglist and found most to be project boats sold by proud owners who claimed they really care for it and bragged about not putting bottom paint on for over ten years, instruments not working, electric toilet unsecured in the cabin with a car battery connected to it that did not work because the owner lived on it.............and I could go on and on. Never saw any of these boats on the SF Bay after I went to a broker and bought my first sailboat........a Hunter 31 but not without a lot of elbow grease, new sails, upgraded electronics, et..
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:21   #12

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would agree with all said and since the 2 of you are just starting out would also consider a Catalina 27...I sold my 1984 about 4 yrs ago (with a Universal diesel that ran like a charm) for $4500...great boat to learn on and with a few systems that can help you get your "feet-wet" regarding maintenance and elementary repair/replace. If looking at 27's would squirt a hose at the deadlights (fixed windows) to see if any water gets into the interior. Mine leaked and were difficult to maintain a water-tight seal. good luck in your search...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:19   #13

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Catalina's are kinda like the Chevvies of te boat world. A ton of them out there, known resale value, well built. I'd also look at Hunters for the same reason. Not quite as well built IMHO but not so poorly you wouldn't want one. I'd sail one coastal any day in appropriate weather. A bit less expensive and has more headroom if that's an issue. At 6'1" I rule most boats out within a few minutes of being on board. Older Newports are similar and if you can find an Islander, another good choice.

27'-29' will be a bunch cheaper then the magic 30 footer. People overlook these because they are not a 30 footer. Silly. Way back in the mid 70's the average size cruising boat for a family of 4 was 27'.

Look everywhere including craigslaist. Go find a broker to help you. For the buyer, you pay nothing for their services and a good broker can be worth their weight in gold. Then, get a good survey by a marine surveyor which you will need to insure the boat anyhow.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:08   #14

The Cat 30 is a good boat. Used to race on one that belonged to a friend. There are lots available in So Cal; I would get a reliable broker to help you. The owner is paying, so no cost to you, you're going to find decent boats.
Then sign, survey, sail. You really want to please your wife (my life story). My advice, don't buy a fixer for your first boat. Lots of time, money, and angst; and a wife who just wants to get out there.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 16:21   #15

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

trailerable Catalina 30?????
No way!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30