Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 10:49   #1

1977 Tayana 37 - Thoughts, Opinions

I am new to the forum and I would appreciate any hints, opinions, experience regarding a 1977 Tayana 37 which I would possibly consider buying (I haven't seen it so far, but if the feedback here is generally good, I'll go and check it). It would be my first boat and maybe it's worth mentioning that I am not (yet) a very skilled craftsman/do-it-yourself man; I will have to get major repairs done by professionals and I'm wondering what I have to expect in this regard (also $$$-wise) with this boat in the near- and midterm future.

Thats the boat http://www.lemmernautic.nl/boten/details/tayana-37

It seems to have a wooden (cutter/ketch) rig and a lot of teak. It's in the Netherlands, I would register it in Switzerland, asking price presently USD 55000, EU-VAT paid.

I would take it to the Med for at least a few years but I would like to have it ready for a possible circumnavigation later on. Is it possible to keep this boat seaworthy for another 20 years at a reasonable price?

Thank you all for any support,

Best regards
Florian
Airjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:49   #2

Boat: CD25
Re: 1977 Tayana 37 - thoughts, opinions

Nice boat
Been on my friends but never sailed on her.
Newer yanmar is a plus
Wood spars should be inspected very carefully when you have her surveyed
Good luck
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 05:06   #3

There's an active Tayana Owners Group on the net that would be responsive to your questions. I own a 1985 T-37 from day 1 and think it has an easy motion under sail. Bob Perry thinks that the ketch has better performance than the cutter rig that I have, but I would like to challenge him on that. Things that I would look out for is rot in that wooden mast as well as the bow sprit and check the chain plates. Also if it has teak decks then be very cautious. Best of Luck. Oh...look at the tank locations to see if there is one in the forward part of the boat which may contribute to hobby horsing.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 05:45   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airjordi View Post
I am new to the forum and I would appreciate any hints, opinions, experience regarding a 1977 Tayana 37 which I would possibly consider buying (I haven't seen it so far, but if the feedback here is generally good, I'll go and check it). It would be my first boat and maybe it's worth mentioning that I am not (yet) a very skilled craftsman/do-it-yourself man; I will have to get major repairs done by professionals and I'm wondering what I have to expect in this regard (also $$$-wise) with this boat in the near- and midterm future......
A Tayana 37 is a good boat for someone who wants a low cost offshore cruising boat and is willing to do a lot of work themselves. Your description of paying a yard to do the work on the boat in my mind makes a 1977 T-37 a terrible choice for you. By the time you add up the yard costs over the years you could have bought a much newer boat and spent less.
I helped friends buy a Tayana 37 a few years ago. They got a good deal on a fairly well equipped one. They still had to replace all the chainplates and the standing rigging. Over the past few years the boat has been constant maintenance as they cruise -- like most 1977 boats will be.
Old boats are not cost effective if you are paying yards to do the maintenance.
Old 24-04-2014, 05:47   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nice looking boat. I assume you're in the market for a rather traditional, heavy displacement, full keel, ketch. It's definitly not a boat for everyone. I looked at number of Tayana-37s before purchasing my current boat, which is very similar. Any older boat is going to require ongoing maintenance (actually, all boats do), so your lack of DIY skills may become expensive. It's also a fairly large first boat. I assume you've got sailing and cruising experience on other boats.

Can this be kept seaworthy for another 20 years? Of course it can. "Reasonable price" is relative to you. It will not be cheap, but no cruising boat will be cheap.

The boat appears to have been maintained well and upgraded along the way. The wood masts make me nervous (never having had one), although obviously they have worked fine for many. A thorough examination for rot is necessary. You'll want to check on their life expectancy.

Teak decks can be a problem. These would be screwed in (unless they've been completely redone). I didn't see any obvious problems from the video or photos; calking looked good, no raising, no gaps. Examine the whole deck carefully. Look for discolouration, especially around thru-deck fittings like stanchions. This could indicate water intrusion into the deck. Obvisouly look for soft spots.

You'll have the engine and standing rigging checked out, along with a full survey (of course). Look at the tanks. Many boats of that generation and build had iron diesel tanks. These are prone to rust damage (although can also be fine ... like ours). All thru-hulls need close examination.

Price is a bit high if it was here in North America. Maybe not in your market.

If this is the kind of boat you're looking for, then this one certainly looks like a good example.
Old 24-04-2014, 08:18   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It seems a very poor choice for a first boat, and for someone with little DIY skills.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Tayana 37's are lovely boats. They can be high maintenance, just with the varnishing and regular upkeep. The interior joinery/woodwork is excellent.

Problem areas are as other said, rot in Wood mast and bow sprint, Soft cored decks from leaks caused by the 1000's of screws holding the teak deck in place. Of course have someone chek all the rigging too.

The original iron fuel tank was a problem too, but hopefully already replaced. If not, figure it will need to be pulled (it's under the V berth)

The teak plywood of the lazzarette hatches, while glasses top and bottom, the ends were not glassed and is where rot starts. Soft lazzarette wood would need to be replaced. Not a big job for a DIY but pricy with yard labor.

The 12V electrical panel were wired using a hot buss consisting of #12 wire daisy chained from breaker to breaker. OK in the 70's and 80's, but caused too much voltage drop with lots O electrical things, (fridge, GPS, Radar, etc) Should be rewired with #10 at least.

Unless you have lots of Euro's, the maintenance costs of hiring a yard to work on it will be extremely expensive. There is a ton of exterior teak and it needs to be varnished twice a year, to keep it looking good. Tayana's really need someone who loves to varnish as that's a job that never ends.

But other then that and regular maintenance items they are very nice boats. I lived on one for three years and enjoyed it, except for the sanding and varnishing.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:06   #8

chic--Good post.

The daisy-chained wiring between breakers needs to be solid copper bus bars. But the whole panel likely should be replaced on a boat that age.
Old 24-04-2014, 13:38   #9

Boat: Tayana 37

Electrical can be an issue on the 70s T-37s. Also, unless its been replaced recently, the bow sprit is prone to dryrot. While wooden masts are gorgeous, they're very maintenance intensive. Far more so than an aluminum stick. Plan on pulling them at least once every couple years to perform preventive maintenance on them (read varnish) ans to repair any areas of dry rot. Go over tge chainplates carefully and be sure the knees they are bolted into are still solid and nor waterlogged. These are great boats, but if you're plan is to have a yard do the work, I'd strongly recommend finding something else. A 40 year old boat with lots of brightwork is going to be maintenance heavy. Unless you only plan on using the yard at first and being there to learn so you can maintain her yourself.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 17:22   #10

Thank you very much for all your competent answers.

I understand this boat has the potential of becoming very maintenance intensive. So the idea of having it in Greece and being able to fly there for 2, 3 days to relax a bit and twice a year for some 2-week trip with my own boat (I do not want to charter anymore, because I'd like to be able to sail alone, at night and without doubtful restrictions) is probably not so realistic.

So basically most of you confirmed, what I'd already expected.

For the ones of you asking themselves why I want this kind of boat: I love the classic style (I'm not going to buy any modern design) and I would sacrifice some extra Euros just for having this kind of boat. However the maintenance costs should be kind of predictable. In fact this would not be my absolute first boat; I have a 35yrs old little dutch steel motor cruiser - very classic - here in Swiss freshwater. I figured out that I can take care of most of the works but I don't have the patience because I work 100% and as soon as I spend more time doing maintenance than hanging around drinking beer on the boat it has to go to the yard.

I think I'll still have a look at that Tayana and try to figure out wheter this is a good example of a Tayana 37 or not. It's in the Netherlands - The Dutch usually keep their boats in a very good shape. There are some signs (on the video) that work has been done on the boat (electricity seems to be new, modern displays in the cockpit aso). The Netherlands is a wet place so if they have managed to keep these wooden masts upright for almost 40 years maybe it's worth to have a closer look.

If you say "extremely expensive" regarding work being done by a yard, what do you mean more precisely? What would for example be an approximate price for having all the teak removed from the deck or the whole rig replaced? I'm not rich, but I would probably accept another $ 20-30k during lets say the first five years for replacements and maintenance being done by a yard. Money is less an issue than time. Time is the main reason for my do-it-yourself handicap :-)

I know, an almost maintenance free 6 years old former charter boat for the same price would make much more sense for me. But I don't like them... I admit, that is not all rational.

Thank you very much for your help!

Florian
Airjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 18:21   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Glad to hear you know what you want Florian, and that you have the experience to say so. There are fewer of us left who appreciate the classic lines and designs of these boats. That said, there's nothing wrong with a newer boat. The beneaus/jeneaus/bavarias/hunters, etc. may all look and feel the same, but they are fine functional boats. And in 40 years they will be the classics.

Although it pains me to say this, given your usage plans I'd recommend against this boat. Get yourself a newer plastic boat with no wood and newer systems. It will be cheaper to operate and maintain, and you'll get more usage out of it. The Tayana will require more care. If you can't give it to her (DIY), then I believe the costs will become significant.

BTW, if you did go for the Tayana, I would not assume you need to remove the teak deck. If it is in such poor shape that you would need to remove it, then I would not buy the boat. If the deck is in good shape, and has been maintained properly, then leave it. It will last a long time if properly cared for.
Old 24-04-2014, 19:12   #12

To replace the teak, and I would only consider this if there is MASSIVE water penetration of the deck core, that alone would eat up all of your 20-30k to have the yard do the work.

Old 24-04-2014, 20:33   #13

There are plenty of other boats out there that have old world charm but without the maintenance headache of that particular type of boat. Keep looking.
Old 25-04-2014, 05:38   #14

Boat: Farrier f27

I sailed one and wasn't at all happy with how it sailed to weather. It actually had to be motor sailed to make windward progress in 15 kts and 5 ft seas. I don't see the point of having a boat that can't sail well close hauled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 07:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I sailed one and wasn't at all happy with how it sailed to weather. It actually had to be motor sailed to make windward progress in 15 kts and 5 ft seas. I don't see the point of having a boat that can't sail well close hauled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
How high were you trying to point?

Tags
tayana 37